House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Why Do We Give So Much Aid To India?

The largest proportion of British foreign aid goes to India. Why do we continue to give a country with it's own space program so much of our money?

I say India, as one of the worlds fastest growing economies, with it's massive IT infrastructure, based largely on the onshoring of jobs, must now stop asking for aid from Britain formally or we must stop giving it to them (or at least reign it in significantly). India can no longer have it's cake and eat it. It must step up to the mark, look after it's own, stop taking charity that it no longer requires from countries that can ill-afford it and act like a fully paid-up member of the G20.

Come on India, you're a nuclear power now, show us ya mettle!

The largest proportion of British foreign aid goes to India. Why do we continue to give a country with it's own space program so much of our money?

I say India, as one of the worlds fastest growing economies, with it's massive IT infrastructure, based largely on the onshoring of jobs, India must now stop asking for aid from Britain formally or we must stop giving it to them (or at least reign it in significantly). India can no longer have it's cake and eat it. It must step up to the mark, look after it's own, stop taking charity that it no longer requires from countries that can ill-afford it and act like a fully paid-up member of the G20.

I reckon I know why......

&

I'm pretty sure its best not talked about

I say India, as one of the worlds fastest growing economies, with it's massive IT infrastructure, based largely on the onshoring of jobs, India must now stop asking for aid from Britain formally or we must stop giving it to them (or at least reign it in significantly). India can no longer have it's cake and eat it. It must step up to the mark, look after it's own, stop taking charity that it no longer requires from countries that can ill-afford it and act like a fully paid-up member of the G20.

We give it to them so that they can buy our old military equipment and a heavily subsidised spare aircraft carrier.

Also they make wicked curries, so it's worth every penny.

2.5 billion?

The benefit of this "aid" works both ways.

Forging business links and personal relationships + goodwill are probably worth a lot more than you'd imagine.

You might not like it - but this seems to be the way the world works.

If you lend someone money, you can be pretty sure that they'll chose your widgets to import.

2.5 billion?

The benefit of this "aid" works both ways.

Forging business links and personal relationships + goodwill are probably worth a lot more than you'd imagine.

You might not like it - but this seems to be the way the world works.

If you lend someone money, you can be pretty sure that they'll chose your widgets to import.

Do you mean the widgets made in our Indian owned steelworks?

Do you mean the widgets made in our Indian owned steelworks?

They'd be the ones, but the company that outsources the printing of the instruction leaflets that come in the little bag with the widgets is British.

The charity I work for has some very large scale projects in India. Why? Well, for a start, there are more malnourished children in India than the whole of Africa. I could go on and on here...

I think it makes sense for two reasons. First, we have history, and we - as a nation - made an unfeasible amount of money off India. All that amazing Victorian infrastructure we have was built when we had money flowing in from the colonies.

Second, because of this, India is a nation of one billion people where our language and (to some extent) our culture is the only thing that unites it. Despite the best efforts of academics, most Indian people are less focused on the idea of 'neo-colonialism' and more focused on the fact that during the Raj years they had an amazing railway network put in place, and so much more.

So, a friendly nation, that speaks our language, that was in partnership with us throughout our most successful years needs a bit of help. Why not? It's not actually that much money we give, compared to what we give to the feckless at home.

Oh, and third, many many Indians died fighting for their Emperor from over the seas, in many wars. We'd be mad not to give them a bit of a helping hand.

Personally - whenever there is any discussion of immigration, I don't count Indian people in that. I consider them to be a special case.

And I am aware of the hypocricy of the fact that Pakistan is somehow different, to me, but was equally part of the Raj. But the fact is that the Indian community has done amazing well in this country, but the Pakistani community has floundered. It's intriguing, and often blamed on racism. But most racists don't know the difference between Indians and Pakistanis and call them all ***** regardless. Who knows?

Personally I believe they have a special case to be a central part of this country.

And, overall, our country is actually very good at something - and that's diplomacy. Where Americans need to spend obscene amounts on weapons to maintain their place in the world, we spend money on little treats for Johnny Foreigner. It seems to work, and this money is a good investment, in my opinion.

Yes, I love curry.

The charity I work for has some very large scale projects in India. Why? Well, for a start, there are more malnourished children in India than the whole of Africa. I could go on and on here...

Exactly. So why doesn't India sort this problem out herself? She's rich enough now not to need our charity. Did you miss the line about the space program. How much did her nuclear arsenal cost?

I think it makes sense for two reasons. First, we have history, and we - as a nation - made an unfeasible amount of money off India. All that amazing Victorian infrastructure we have was built when we had money flowing in from the colonies.

Second, because of this, India is a nation of one billion people where our language and (to some extent) our culture is the only thing that unites it. Despite the best efforts of academics, most Indian people are less focused on the idea of 'neo-colonialism' and more focused on the fact that during the Raj years they had an amazing railway network put in place, and so much more.

So, a friendly nation, that speaks our language, that was in partnership with us throughout our most successful years needs a bit of help. Why not? It's not actually that much money we give, compared to what we give to the feckless at home.

Oh, and third, many many Indians died fighting for their Emperor from over the seas, in many wars. We'd be mad not to give them a bit of a helping hand.

Personally - whenever there is any discussion of immigration, I don't count Indian people in that. I consider them to be a special case.

And I am aware of the hypocricy of the fact that Pakistan is somehow different, to me, but was equally part of the Raj. But the fact is that the Indian community has done amazing well in this country, but the Pakistani community has floundered. It's intriguing, and often blamed on racism. But most racists don't know the difference between Indians and Pakistanis and call them all ***** regardless. Who knows?

Personally I believe they have a special case to be a central part of this country.

And, overall, our country is actually very good at something - and that's diplomacy. Where Americans need to spend obscene amounts on weapons to maintain their place in the world, we spend money on little treats for Johnny Foreigner. It seems to work, and this money is a good investment, in my opinion.

Yes, I love curry.

A few months in India should knock your rose-tinted spectacles off your face.

add :

Current Population of India in 2010 is around 1,150,000,000 (1.15 billion) people. Currently, India is second largest country in the world after China in terms of population. By 2030, the population of India will be largest in the world estimated to be around 1.53 billion. There has been rapid increase in Indian population in the last 60 years. Population of India at the time of Independence was only 350 million. So Indian Population has increased more than three times.

Current Population of India in 2010:

Current Population of India in 2010 - 1,150,000,000 (1.15 billion)

Population of India in 1947 was - 350 million

http://www.indiaonlinepages.com/population/india-population.html

Yes, I love curry.

LOL @ 95% of the above - clueless!

We have to keep donating money to India because each £ we hold back makes a lefty shed a tear.

Now cough up you right wing feckers.

India is a feudal society in anything but name - money sent in donations disappears into their cavernous corrupt civil service long before it gets near any of the poor.

Same in Bangladesh and others.

You can just imagine where the Billions of £$€ (being sucked out of the West) for so called "Carbon Credits are disappearing.

Wait till you see a resurgence of Indian billionaire royal families and russian style nouveau riche banglatsarists.

.....did Cameron not discuss this on his recent visit......?.... :rolleyes:

UK may cut India aid in winter of discontent

London, Oct 18, PTI:

Amidst reports of major job losses and spending cuts, millions of Britons are awaiting with a mix of fear and anxiety Chancellor George Osborne outlining of the most stringent financial reform plans in European contemporary history.

The Comprehensive Spending Review (CSR) to be outlined in the House of Commons on Wednesday is expected to include a substantial reduction in British aid to India, which is increasingly seen as an investor and economic powerhouse that can meet its challenges without dependence on international aid.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/105575/uk-may-cut-india-aid.html

A few months in India should knock your rose-tinted spectacles off your face.

add :

Current Population of India in 2010 is around 1,150,000,000 (1.15 billion) people. Currently, India is second largest country in the world after China in terms of population. By 2030, the population of India will be largest in the world estimated to be around 1.53 billion. There has been rapid increase in Indian population in the last 60 years. Population of India at the time of Independence was only 350 million. So Indian Population has increased more than three times.

Current Population of India in 2010:

Current Population of India in 2010 - 1,150,000,000 (1.15 billion)

Population of India in 1947 was - 350 million

http://www.indiaonlinepages.com/population/india-population.html

Mate, I have no rose tinted spectacles about India. What on earth gave you that idea? And what makes you think I haven't been there?

All in all, a very weird and very random response to what I wrote.

Exactly. So why doesn't India sort this problem out herself? She's rich enough now not to need our charity. Did you miss the line about the space program. How much did her nuclear arsenal cost?

No country that has become a developed nation has ever done it by lifting everybody out of poverty at the same time / rate. The British empire was partly built on coal miners in this country working in some horrendous conditions.

The technology behind India's space programme has probably created tens of thousands of spin off jobs in the private sector. To those who live in the slums, it's actually a source of pride that their country has made such an achievement and gives them hope for their nation's future (including that of them and their offspring).

On this site, Boomers are often criticised for saying today's younger people should stop whinging about high house prices and actually save for a deposit etc. The truth is, they have little understanding about life in the shoes of younger people and how challenging the cost of living has become. Dare I say in a similar vein that most of those posting negatively about the UK's contribution to overseas development have never spent a night in a third world slum and only ventured as far abroad as the Costa del Sol.

I'd sooner give aid to help those that want to help themselves than the useless idle workshy English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish etc etc

We have too many pikey scroungers expecting a handout on everything. Still they just whinge and moan.

They are so f'ing lazy they can't even be bothered to riot.

I'd sooner give aid to help those that want to help themselves than the useless idle workshy English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish etc etc

We have too many pikey scroungers expecting a handout on everything. Still they just whinge and moan.

They are so f'ing lazy they can't even be bothered to riot.

........"English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish" ...do you belong to any of this group.....?.... :rolleyes:

Thanks. What was the five per cent that wasn't clueless?

I'd like to know what to build on.

Some of them know how to cook amazing curries :P

Some of them know how to cook amazing curries :P

I think rantnrave did a really good job saying what I meant to say.

I'm trying my best, but I'm very drunk.

Trying to marshall my brain and my tryping fingers together here: I really believe that a little bit of well-publicised money to India now will pay us dividends in the future.

And there are good historical reasons why we should feel a little tug of obligation to do so, as per my post above.

But it is true - the best Indian curries in the world are to be found in Birmingham.

EDIT: The word 'feel'.

I think rantnrave did a really good job saying what I meant to say.

I'm trying my best, but I'm very drunk.

Trying to marshall my brain and my tryping fingers together here: I really believe that a little bit of well-publicised money to India now will pay us dividends in the future.

And there are good historical reasons why we should feel a little tug of obligation to do so, as per my post above.

But it is true - the best Indian curries in the world are to be found in Birmingham.

EDIT: The word 'feel'.

Off topic I know but can I just say that I find curry the most BORING cuisine in the world. It takes food stuffs of a thousand myriad unique flavours and makes it taste the same. The biggest joke is those who laud Indian cuisine by praising ts spiceness over other culture cooking that are deemed to be bland (as if there is something wrong with vegetables natural flavour). In fact Indian food is as about as subtle as half brick aiming for the most basic areas of taste (ie hot, sour, salty, wet, dry etc).It is ideally suited for those who have so numbed their sensibilities with drink down the boozer that they can not distinguish anything else.

If you want genuinely interesting spiced food go to a decent Lebanese or North African restaurant

i think it's obvious

the government somehow feels sorry for the way the UK empire treated India during the long period of rule and is now throwing cash at them in order to feel better about itself