House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yellerkat

Will Hutton's "think" Tank Goes Titzup

Grauniad:

In one of the bleaker economic portents of recent days, the UK's best-known employment thinktank has been declared insolvent and bought up.
The Work Foundation, which bills itself as "the leading independent authority on work and its future", announced today that it had been acquired by Lancaster University. The move came after a winding up petition, citing a £26.9m pension deficit, was filed at the high court yesterday.
The university claims the purchase minimises losses to creditors, including pension fund members, and
safeguards 43 jobs, including that of the foundation's executive vice chair, Will Hutton.

The best use of scarce University funds? I think we should be told!

Grauniad:

In one of the bleaker economic portents of recent days, the UK's best-known employment thinktank has been declared insolvent and bought up.
The Work Foundation, which bills itself as "the leading independent authority on work and its future", announced today that it had been acquired by Lancaster University. The move came after a winding up petition, citing a £26.9m pension deficit, was filed at the high court yesterday.
The university claims the purchase minimises losses to creditors, including pension fund members, and
safeguards 43 jobs, including that of the foundation's executive vice chair, Will Hutton.

looks like they wound themselves up...I mean, which external creditor would have access to the details of the pensions deficit?

AND, why exactly, is a University interested in saving those jobs?...what is it to do with them?

A £26.9 million pension deficit? If that just represents the deficit the pension fund has, how big is the fund itself? That's a hell of a big pension scheme for just 46 employees.

This whole Think Tank thing is a total scam. It's just a way of "media manipulators" to get on TV. Instead of being introduced as "some bloke with an opinion" they instead set up a Think tank, which allows the media to describe them as being "from" on an "expert from" the such and such foundation.

Its the same bull the estate agents were doing, and all the rest like the Council of Mortgage Lenders, British Bankers association, Institute of Chartered Surveyors. ...... The Work Foundation etc.. etc.. etc.

Hutton said: "It's an imaginative link-up between an excellent and innovative university and a thinktank. Two and two will make five, and together we will be able to do things that were not possible before. Everyone at the Work Foundation – and at Lancaster – is excited by the news."

Hilarious. The man who wanders around telling everyone else what will or won't work manages to blow a fortune and foist it onto a state funded entity.

Will hutton is such an epic fail. I hope he turns up on This Week again soon and Brillo gives him some pain for this.

A £26.9 million pension deficit? If that just represents the deficit the pension fund has, how big is the fund itself? That's a hell of a big pension scheme for just 46 employees.

This whole Think Tank thing is a total scam. It's just a way of "media manipulators" to get on TV. Instead of being introduced as "some bloke with an opinion" they instead set up a Think tank, which allows the media to describe them as being "from" on an "expert from" the such and such foundation.

Its the same bull the estate agents were doing, and all the rest like the Council of Mortgage Lenders, British Bankers association, Institute of Chartered Surveyors. ...... The Work Foundation etc.. etc.. etc.

+ 1

Hilarious. The man who wanders around telling everyone else what will or won't work manages to blow a fortune and foist it onto a state funded entity.

Will hutton is such an epic fail. I hope he turns up on This Week again soon and Brillo gives him some pain for this.

well thank heavens he never advised the government on the economy, someone who can't even run a solvent business

waidaminute....

If my memory serves The work Foundation was the old Industrial Society before Hutton took it over and changed it into a go getting consultancy operation. Hutton has made a living out of telling other people how to run their lives and busineses but seems not to have been able to meet the obligations of his own employees pension fund. I wonder how the employees of a charity with an eighty year history pre Hutton now feel about his methods.

We should setup a HPC Think Tank. Perhaps call it something else though... :unsure:

Grauniad:

(...)

Great news! Thanks for posting it!

I bet he was getting a lot of money from the Labour government.

BTW, the Grauniad is also deep in the red now. They were also getting a huge amount from the Labour government, from public sector jobs adverts in their classified section. No longer... :)

Maybe maybe?

Think of Polly Toynbee. :)

+ 1

edit :

probably the best deal he could have cut. they should have liquidated it. glad it's dead, wish his pension was also.