House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Landlords 'ripping Off Taxpayer Over Benefit Tenants' Claim

Get some

Private landlords with housing benefit tenants are charging the maximum amounts possible – and ripping off the taxpayer.

A study by the Department for Work & Pensions, ‘Low Income Working Households in the Private Rented Sector’, found that private landlords charge higher rents to housing benefit claimants than to working adults, and offer worse conditions.

According to the DWP, private landlords will pocket almost £8.5bn this year through housing benefit. The figure is more than one-third of the total amount of housing benefit handed out.

The study claims that in the past decade, the cost of providing housing in the private rented sector to benefit claimants has jumped by 36% above inflation.

In comparison, social housing providers have raised their charges by 19% above inflation.

Lord Freud, minister for welfare reform, said: “This confirms what we have long suspected, that some unscrupulous landlords are charging benefit claimants over the odds to make a quick buck at the expense of the taxpayer.”

The housing benefit bill comes to more than running the Army and Royal Navy combined, and costs each working adult £689 a year.

All these lazy, stupid fvcks taking it from my pocket and passing it onto the mortgage holder (aka banks) just gets my blood boiling.

We need some big war to kill off the bottom layer of society.

Do you honestly believe the middle and upper tiers of 'society' are any different?

No, I do not.

Blighty is teeming with scum, at all levels.

But at least the tiers which you speak of do not try to offload my scooter whilst high at my expense, and the other classes have a more robust, 'legal' methodology for stealing from me.

the other classes have a more robust, 'legal' methodology for stealing from me.

The top is stealing a lot more from you than the bottom.

the council clipboard tickers do their due diligence just fine.

now whats the rate we pay for a 3 bed house for our needy receivers....ah yes...its the private rate as advertised plus 10% as private landlords are taking a risk..

course, this puts up the rents for everyone...so the rate next year...is UP....

This is scary:

The housing benefit bill comes to more than running the Army and Royal Navy combined, and costs each working adult £689 a year.

Besides, this puts a floor under the rental market, pushing up ALL rents, including private tenants rents such as myself.

And they use my own taxes to do that!!! Arrr!!! :angry:

------------------

Staggering. Incredible. Scandalous. :angry: :angry: :angry:

The landlords have been doing this for years and the councils cough up because they have no alternative to offer...the tax payers end up paying, add it to the deficit. ;)