House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daft Boy

Union Anger At "get On Bus" Comment

The union think its disgraceful that the unemployed should go out and look for work . Perhaps the unions thinks we should pay for taxis to drive people about instead of getting on a bus. Perhaps employers should make home visits to the unemployed instead. No wonder union membership is in terminal decline

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11606537

The union think its disgraceful that the unemployed should go out and look for work . Perhaps the unions thinks we should pay for taxis to drive people about instead of getting on a bus. Perhaps employers should make home visits to the unemployed instead. No wonder union membership is in terminal decline

Well, they sortof have a point.

If all the people are in town x and the business is in town y, asking the people to pay to travel to town y is the business basically asking for a subsidy.

The same sort of argument as to why folks don't buy their own work uniforms/overalls etc. If someone wants you to come to them, they can pay for it.

If all the people are in town x and the business is in town y, asking the people to pay to travel to town y is the business basically asking for a subsidy.

The same sort of argument as to why folks don't buy their own work uniforms/overalls etc. If someone wants you to come to them, they can pay for it.

Now thats a good idea. We could move Cardiff into the valleys. If we can get enough people with a big rope we could pull it there

Now thats a good idea. We could move Cardiff into the valleys. If we can get enough people with a big rope we could pull it there

Ah come on.

Given we have ****** all manufacturing left, why not move the crappy pre fab warehouses closer to where people are?

it's not like theres any real need (other than the sheer ugliness of the ******* things) to have massive warehouses filled with useless pastic chinese shite 150 million miles away from where people live, is there?

If they can't get staff nearby, they should go bankrupt. Simple as.

Jeez. He only suggested that they take the bus into Cardiff to look for work. I've had to travel around the world for work so I don't think it is a big deal to take an hours bus drive to go to a job interview.

200 years ago when mining started in South Wales people came on foot from Newcastle and Scotland to work in the newly opened pits. The reason those towns exist is no more, time to move on and get on yer bike.

Jeez. He only suggested that they take the bus into Cardiff to look for work. I've had to travel around the world for work so I don't think it is a big deal to take an hours bus drive to go to a job interview.

200 years ago when mining started in South Wales people came on foot from Newcastle and Scotland to work in the newly opened pits. The reason those towns exist is no more, time to move on and get on yer bike.

..he typed obliviously into the greatest mass communication tool ever designed.

Walk to the library to log on, sure. Wander around miles from home at your own expense when you've got ****** all income? ....do behave. It's this sort of blame the victim stuff that gets the right such a bad press.

Tell me about it. We obviously provide all factory workwear (astonishingly, some don't!!!) but we also used to pay to bus people in. We don't now, but that's just because the demand (from us) has dropped so much.

In principle I think the Union outrage is wrong because the principle IDS is saying - for people to follow jobs if that's what they want - is fair enough to me; it's why cities exist where they are now anyway. On the other hand what they say is fair enough because I do appreciate though that there's a shedload of things that stop people being mobile though.

Once again the sound principle that would facilitate people meeting jobs gets screwed over by obstacles imposed neither by employer or employee. I seem to remember that IDS gets this and was on about ways to make it easier for people to relocate.

People in Rochdale can get a bus every 5 minutes to Manchester. It takes a while to get there -

If there are no jobs in Rochdale then why can't people get a bus to Manchester each day?

Is it too much to ask?

Ok in Spring 2012 they should be able to get the tram....

It takes an hour on the train from Merthyr (top of the valleys) to Cardiff city centre. Loads of people do it every day. You can even use your new deal photocard to get a discount.

The union think its disgraceful that the unemployed should go out and look for work . Perhaps the unions thinks we should pay for taxis to drive people about instead of getting on a bus. Perhaps employers should make home visits to the unemployed instead.

With their history of 'closed shop' practises it's not surprising that unions don't want to encourage the unemployed back into the jobs market.

With travel costs and petroleum spirit/diesel oil costing what it does, I think they have a point.

The rip off continues in this country unabated. The only people smiling are the banksters and their vassals in the government.

Tell me about it. We obviously provide all factory workwear (astonishingly, some don't!!!) but we also used to pay to bus people in. We don't now, but that's just because the demand (from us) has dropped so much.

In principle I think the Union outrage is wrong because the principle IDS is saying - for people to follow jobs if that's what they want - is fair enough to me; it's why cities exist where they are now anyway. On the other hand what they say is fair enough because I do appreciate though that there's a shedload of things that stop people being mobile though.

Once again the sound principle that would facilitate people meeting jobs gets screwed over by obstacles imposed neither by employer or employee. I seem to remember that IDS gets this and was on about ways to make it easier for people to relocate.

It's a big problem with doing big brush strokes of this sort.

Yes there is a point that people should be willing to travel around for work.

It's also true that asking those who live in place x to travel to place y because it's easier for the business owner to not have to relocate or bus folks in is just him externalising his costs. You'd have to check case by case to see which was which, I guess.

People in Rochdale can get a bus every 5 minutes to Manchester. It takes a while to get there -

If there are no jobs in Rochdale then why can't people get a bus to Manchester each day?

Is it too much to ask?

Absolutely, many bankers are happy to commute 90 minutes to their 20 times NMW jobs from Norwich to the City....

Is it too much to ask?

They are pissed off because he's said you should travel around to LOOK for a job.

Travelling to a job would be fair enough, better if the eomployer pays his own costs of course, but it's piss taking in the extreme to ask people of limited means to wander around the country at their own expense on the off chance they might find something that hasn't been advertised elsewhere. They might as well stick a few quid on the gee gees.

Isn't it simply spin-media-meisters looking for the new version of Tebbit's 'get on your bike' to make the '80s Thatcherite cuts' parallels complete?

Indeed. Basically he just said it is reasonable to expect people to commute an hour to work. The unions are attempting to spin this as Evil Tories expect the poor to trek across the country, wagons westward style, looking for work.

They are pissed off because he's said you should travel around to LOOK for a job.

Travelling to a job would be fair enough, better if the eomployer pays his own costs of course, but it's piss taking in the extreme to ask people of limited means to wander around the country at their own expense on the off chance they might find something that hasn't been advertised elsewhere. They might as well stick a few quid on the gee gees.

I don't think he really means that, and you should be able to look for a job online anyway. You'd only actually travel for an interview or possibly sign up with an agency.

My first proper job involved an hour bus journey here in Edinburgh. I borrowed books from the library to read, cranked up the portable CD player and got on with it. This Unite bloke is obviously a pillock.

Indeed. Basically he just said it is reasonable to expect people to commute an hour to work. The unions are attempting to spin this as Evil Tories expect the poor to trek across the country, wagons westward style, looking for work.

He said people should travel for an hour to look for work.

Theres so much in the background, unsaid, taken as read on this.

For example, the tax/regulation systems, the education systems and all the rest of it that stop people. A lot of it is in their own heads of course but that's actually probably more debilitating and this sort of mental block doesn't seem to be something the average tory can process or deal with other than by bullying or indifference.*

So deprived of land, taxed and regulated into atoms, kept away from raw materials at gunpoint, forced to use one type of money, housing a multiple cost of income - after all that you are lazy and shirking if you can't support yourself. Pure ******ing lols, tbh.

The point about travelling to work taken in isolation is fine enough. But that's the trick to all shitty ideologies, to take things in isolation.

*And lefties can't cope with except by chucking other peoples money at it and hope it gos away fwiw.

I do like IDS but wish he'd stop deluding himself over the long term unemployed. He thinks (or at least says) that they've been left out and would be straight into the workplace if only they were given the right opportunites. The reality is that they don't want to work because often they're looking at jobs that are low paid, stressful and generally quite unpleasant.

Nobody is going to travel two hours each day to get too and from a crappy low paid job, the unemployed aren't stupid.

If the incentives were there then people would be on these jobs in a jiffy.

If they dont get on a bus, the poles, turks, Romanians will.

Using insane currency arbitrage to motivate themselves, yes.

Show me a country where our dispossesed can elope to and earn the quivalent of £65-70k a year and i'll show you a bus full of grinners from the regions and inner cities.

Its part of the agreement with the Job Centre (when you first start signing) that you have to agree that you look for jobs within (at least) an hour's travelling time from your home..In rural areas its easier said than done, seeing as it can take 2 hours to travel 20 miles by bus..

For example, the tax/regulation systems, the education systems and all the rest of it that stop people. A lot of it is in their own heads of course but that's actually probably more debilitating and this sort of mental block doesn't seem to be something the average tory can process or deal with other than by bullying or indifference.*

Fair point.

It is the system. If the unions made a point along your lines, I'd have some respect for them. The problem is ultimately perverse incentives, high cost of living etc etc - issues which should be the hunting grounds of the left in this country, and their inability to grasp this shows how lost they truly are. I also like the points you make about lack of information and psychological barriers. It is hard to understand sometimes that somethings will simply never occur to other people and that our position in life is often due to 90% luck, 10% effort.

Fair point.

It is the system. If the unions made a point along your lines, I'd have some respect for them. The problem is ultimately perverse incentives, high cost of living etc etc - issues which should be the hunting grounds of the left in this country, and their inability to grasp this shows how lost they truly are. I also like the points you make about lack of information and psychological barriers. It is hard to understand sometimes that somethings will simply never occur to other people and that our position in life is often due to 90% luck, 10% effort.

Well the OP is basically a political debate, which is almost always retarded.

Tories say "you are just lazy, on your bike."

Labour say "poor would be workers, have a handout, there, there."

They kind of have to though, due to the media. Nuanced debate is for the interested, the rest is salesmanship.