House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Treasury Chief Unable To Ease Dvla Staff Worries

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Treasury-chief-unable-ease-DVLA-staff-worries/article-2787584-detail/article.html

THOUSANDS of workers at Swansea's biggest public sector employer face an agonising month-long wait to find out whether their jobs are safe.

DVLA staff are waiting to see whether the 21 per cent cut imposed on the Department of Transport's budget will hit them, after a leading government figure failed to reassure workers that their jobs will be safe.

Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander, the leading Liberal Democrat in the coalition's economic team, simply said they were creating the conditions for private business to provide new jobs in Swansea.

The Morriston-based Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency employs about 4,000 people and there are fears hundreds of jobs could be under threat after the decision to cut Department of Transport funding by 21 per cent over four years.

Public sector union PCS Swansea branch chairman, Richard Jenkins, said a 21 per cent departmental cut was bound to effect the DVLA, but staff faced a month-long wait to find out whether jobs would be lost.

He said: "Morale is low because we are worrying — it's the uncertainty.

"Does that mean I have got a job. Can I buy a new house? Can I buy a new car? Because we have got to find out if we have got a job first."

Mr Jenkins said the DVLA suf- fered 500 job losses in 2004 and a recruitment freeze had been in place since June's emergency budget.

Staff wanted to provide a good service to the public, but further cuts would make that more difficult, he said.

During an interview on Newsnight Jeremy Paxman asked Mr Alexander what people in Swansea were going to do for alternative employment if jobs were lost at the DVLA.

The DVLA is not the only public sector organisation having to work out what to do after the review.

Job cuts could be on the cards at the Swansea offices of the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue and Customs.

The Post has seen a letter to staff from DWP permanent secretary Leigh Lewis warning 15,000 jobs could be lost in the next two years.

Swansea's pension office, which employs 600 people, is the Wales and the West Country branch of the Pensions, Disability Carers Service.

In a letter PCS, chief executive Terry Moran told staff 1,000 jobs will be lost in the next two years, but by 2015 they expected to employ more people than today.

I honestly had no idea the place has so many Govt depts.

If they had a brain, they's eliminate the tax disk and put 5p on petrol. People who drive more, pay more. People who drive big cars pay more. People who drive small cars pay less.

But no, they'll continue with an army of people making little paper discs that many drivers don't bother to buy.

But no, they'll continue with an army of people making little paper discs that many drivers don't bother to buy.

...and then the police stop them and find out if they don't have insurance or an MOT either. I don't see how you can easily avoid licensing cars to help prevent people from driving dangerous cars with no insurance.

...and then the police stop them and find out if they don't have insurance or an MOT either. I don't see how you can easily avoid licensing cars to help prevent people from driving dangerous cars with no insurance.

Easy - make them display MOT and insurance disks instead, issued at the same time as the certificates.

Edit: they should computerise the lot too, against the number plate.

Edited by Traktion

Easy - make them display MOT and insurance disks instead, issued at the same time as the certificates.

MOTs have been computerised for a good few years, you just enter the 96-digit number :huh: when applying for your tax disk online. I bet they're already linked in to the ANPR system.

Stick 3rd party on fuel, as rxe said.

MOTs have been computerised for a good few years, you just enter the 96-digit number :huh: when applying for your tax disk online. I bet they're already linked in to the ANPR system.

Stick 3rd party on fuel, as rxe said.

ANPR is a nightmare for the Motor Trade.My son has been stopped 3 times in a fortnight driving on my trade policy in cars that don't appear on the database.The police must spend most of their time stopping trade people.I got him to carry a copy of the certificate. The last woodentop detained him for an hour saying "It might be a forgery" Then he showed up at my garage asking damn fool questions.The sooner thay make a load of them redundant the better.DVLA too.

In France they abolished tax disks ages ago (but I am sure they still get their money oine way or another). However, it has always been the case that you display your insurance on the windscreen. You receive your green card, on 01/01 (same for everyone) and detach a square with registration, insurance details and valid from/to dates.

You have to carry you insurance certificate and reg documents with you at all time or otherwise have to go to the police station within a few days. The reg document has a stamp box at the back showing if MOT has been passed. Also, the police regularly stop people and does emission tests on the spot, this is lethal to check if your car has really been MOTed...

All of the above however does not prevent idiots driving with uninsured, un-MOTed wrecks...

Exactly, diesel is cheaper in France than UK, although it 'includes road tax'.

Insurance disc must be displayed on windscreens here.

Surely it makes a lot more sense to ensure a vehicle is insured rather than taxed,

AND at a stroke you get rid of a load more unnecessary jobs.

If the benefits system also got streamlined, and seriously rolled the number of benefits into just a handful,

there must be loads of duplications within different benefit departments!! and more big, big, savings.

you just know dvla is a cushy number with overpaid mgrs and way too many meetings. Im sure we wont notice except downwd pressure on HPs (on phone)

If they had a brain, they's eliminate the tax disk and put 5p on petrol. People who drive more, pay more. People who drive big cars pay more. People who drive small cars pay less.

No.

A litre of petrol costs £1.19.

The DUTY which goes to government - 57 pence.

The VAT which goes to goverment - 18 pence.

I think they get enough of the money already. Austerity beckons for Swansea.

No, they get stopped because the car registration flags up there is no insurance on the vehicle.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Campaigners-voice-fear-severe-spending-cuts/article-2790937-detail/article.html?cacheBust=raMuep33GjI9&success=true#community

HUNDREDS of protesters descended on Swansea's Brangwyn Hall last night to voice their opposition to what they labelled the Coalition Government's "savage" spending cuts.

Among those addressing the rally were Labour MPs Sian James and Geraint Davies and ex adviser to former First Minister Rhodri Morgan, Professor Mark Drakeford.

The Government announced on Wednesday the findings of its comprehensive spending review, which will see £81 billion slashed from public spending over the next four years.

David Phillips, leader of the Swansea Council Labour Group, said: "The cuts are going to have a dramatic effect on Swansea's economy.

"It is not just about cutting services — it is about the effect of taking all this money out of the local economy.

Interestingly, talking to various public sector workers in recent days most are still in complete denial. Either they do not believe that any spending cuts will happen or, because no job losses were announced this week, they now believe they have got away with it.

I feel I am living some kind of Manchurian Candidate life :blink:

Local Authority wise we are waiting for the WAG budget in November. I think we will know a lot more about what cuts we can expect. There is also the review relating to consumer protection coming out in the new year which will also have an impact.

We wait with baited breath

Local Authority wise we are waiting for the WAG budget in November. I think we will know a lot more about what cuts we can expect. There is also the review relating to consumer protection coming out in the new year which will also have an impact.

We wait with baited breath

Yes, November 17th for the WAG budget now they know what London is giving them. Then 2 further weeks before the WAG tells the Councils... I assume they send the info out via a Welsh-speaking snail.

Yes, November 17th for the WAG budget now they know what London is giving them. Then 2 further weeks before the WAG tells the Councils... I assume they send the info out via a Welsh-speaking snail.

I think the new year will herald significant change for TS departments. With the OFT going as well as Consumer Direct and Consumer Focus the Government will have to allocate the working of all three to local TS departments and the CAB. The CAB is already at breaking point and TS on a local level is not equipped nor adequately funded to take on the OFT functions.

We shall see if the Government is going to make adequate provisions for consumer protection in the U.K, or the public will be on their own.....

I think the new year will herald significant change for TS departments. With the OFT going as well as Consumer Direct and Consumer Focus the Government will have to allocate the working of all three to local TS departments and the CAB. The CAB is already at breaking point and TS on a local level is not equipped nor adequately funded to take on the OFT functions.

We shall see if the Government is going to make adequate provisions for consumer protection in the U.K, or the public will be on their own.....

I think you know the answer to that.

Wales is traumatised this week - I don't think it has sunk in yet what is about to happen.

I'm quietly confident that I will keep my job....TBH it's been dragging out for so long now it's becoming unacceptable. People need to know so that we can all move on.

That's so funny :lol:

I have been asking around and people are waiting for Nov. Cuts will be held off until next year too. Apparently Jane Davidson, environment minister, is preparing to move near to St Dogmaels in Pembrokeshire when she leaves office, and is doing a barn conversion kitted out with all the latest renewable energy technologies. Word is she wants to stay in the environmental game. Strangely enough a local environmental charity down there is now awash with money. I assure you that this is just a coincidence.

I get all this stuff from local journos who can't write about the stuff cos the editors are so worried about being sued :lol:

Edited by gruffydd

Well, the Tories are the party of big business.

They might be pals with the bankers (which mainstream business isn't). However, Labour is always seen as the friend of big business within the business community. Smaller businesses tend to be keener on the Tories.

True, that would be a sensible option, but we are talking of government!

No, they get stopped because the car registration flags up there is no insurance on the vehicle.

Vehicles aren't insured, drivers are.

My insurance in the UK said I could drive any vehicle that I didn't own and wasn't renting. Worse than that, I could insure myself to drive my car, and then lend it to someone else who didn't have insurance to drive it, so they'd be driving uninsured and the Glorious People's Insurance Database would ensure they would never be stopped.

In order for that system to work, you have to ban policies allowing drivers to drive other vehicles, or harass those who do have insurance who are driving cars that aren't in the database. The chavs, meanwhile, can just put fake plates on their cars so they'll show up as insured when they're not.