House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

One In Five Babies Are Now Born To Women Over 35 As Would-Be Parents Feel Pressure Of High Mortgages And Debt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1322534/One-babies-born-women-35.html

One in five mothers is approaching middle age by the time she has a child, figures have revealed.

The boom in motherhood among older women means more than 140,000 babies were born to women of 35 or older last year - 20 per cent of all births in England and Wales.

The proportion of babies with mothers in their late 30s and older has gone up by a third in ten years as more women delay having families.

The new figures showed that 141,246 babies were born to mothers over the age of 35 last year, a fifth of the 706,248 births in England and Wales.

Of these, nearly 27,000 were born to mothers over 40; nearly 1,500 to mothers over 45, and 89 to women over the age of 50.

In 1999, only 15 per cent of newborn babies had mothers over 35.

Researcher Patricia Morgan said: ‘What is happening is that sharp-elbowed middle-class women are having fewer children or none at all.

'People are under economic pressure, they have heavy costs and debts, they delay having children and their biological clocks tick on.

'Those that have children late feel great while they are in their 40s. But 15 years on they may not be so healthy.'

There have been a series of warning to older mothers about the risks of having children later in life.

To be honest I can't quite see how they can come to this conclusion from the ONS data as women may delay having children because they want a career first.

However some people will be under economic pressure and if you already have to work 2 jobs to keep the roof over your head and service your credit card a high cost child won't be on the top of your shopping list.

What's not unexpected in this article is the reason why mortgage debt is so high. It would appear the Mail can't work out what causes big mortgages.

It's high house prices. Full stop.

Despite the idea that women all want careers and a party lifestyle until they are at least 35 many girls I know have been wanting kids since the age of 25 but high living costs - especially house prices - have made it seem an impossible dream.

Bull shit

It is within the powers of most women to find a mate to raise a family with and within their powers to live within their resulting means however poor that may be. If high house prices come into it, it is the fault of these women I'm afraid.

Bull shit

It is within the powers of most women to find a mate to raise a family with and within their powers to live within their resulting means however poor that may be. If high house prices come into it, it is the fault of these women I'm afraid.

Not everyone wants to marry someone 20 years older, mate.

Is this a benefit boom? If you had thought about kids but worked hard in a job instead, got married. Then your unemployed, 1 year of job seeking, get talking to others find out that loads of 45-50+ cant get work anyway. Oh well may as well get the kid thing rolling.

I can understand people going down that route, child care is not a problem if you cant find a job at least its something to do that pays...for now anyway.

It's high house prices. Full stop.

Despite the idea that women all want careers and a party lifestyle until they are at least 35 many girls I know have been wanting kids since the age of 25 but high living costs - especially house prices - have made it seem an impossible dream.

Most women have been brainwashed that they need careers... The state as well as the banks needed more slaves (taxpayers). Nothing to do with equal rights...

What careers, anyway? Sitting behind a desk in front of a monitor from 9 to 5? Is that a career?

Most women have been brainwashed that they need careers... The state as well as the banks needed more slaves (taxpayers). Nothing to do with equal rights...

What careers, anyway? Sitting behind a desk in front of a monitor from 9 to 5? Is that a career?

Jesus. You would rather women remain slaves to their menfolk would you?

Most women are capable of making a decision for themselves. It is explained to them at school and via media, these days, that they can choose to have children first followed by career, or a career first and pick it up again after the children come along. Unsurprisingly, women often opt for the latter because having the career experience makes it easier to get the career going once older.

Many women find partners who wholeheartedly agree with that.

How about medicine, engineering, law? Or do you think these should be the domains of men?

Most women are capable of making a decision for themselves. It is explained to them at school and via media, these days, that they can choose to have children first followed by career, or a career first and pick it up again after the children come along. Unsurprisingly, women often opt for the latter because having the career experience makes it easier to get the career going once older.

How about medicine, engineering, law? Or do you think these should be the domains of men?

Go and research the topic of 'Cultural Marxism'.

And please don't be naive. Women's rights to work were given to them not because someone wanted them to have more freedom.

You say that women can choose to have children first? Really? And who's going to finance that choice?

Remember, that these days you need two incomes to get a decent house.

A hell of a lot prefer that option to sitting in a boring office every day. Can't blame them. If I were a bird I would go down that route msyelf too !!

Annecdotally, when I was in my 20s and early 30s dating similar aged women (all educated, non-welfare types), none wanted kids until they had become established if at all. The exception was a 25 year old who just graduated and wanted kids before she became established. She is now my wife of 8 years and the mother of my kids.

There is no fate but what we make.

A hell of a lot prefer that option to sitting in a boring office every day. Can't blame them. If I were a bird I would go down that route msyelf too !!

+1,000,000

Who wants to spend 8 hours a day answering phone calls and emails from nobheads while the only children you will ever have are being raised by strangers? For the majority of young families in the UK, dual income only makes financial sense (or is even possible) thanks to the various tax credits and subsidies from the government. Quite why the government wants to give people incentives not to raise their own children, I have no idea.

As a matter of interest, how many brushes and mops do you get through in an average month?

We've been doing ante-natal classes over the last few weeks and at 32 years old I reckon my wife is just about the youngest in the class.

Admittedly they are NCT classes so you get a better class of mother there ;)

We live in Cambridge so a lot of the attendees are academics, and about half are foreign academics who tend to be around 30 before they have finished their PhDs and/or completed a post doc.

None of my friends had a child before they turned 30 (well one did when he impregnated a french exchange student during our A-levels who then turned up on his doorstep 9 months later).

+1,000,000

Who wants to spend 8 hours a day answering phone calls and emails from nobheads while the only children you will ever have are being raised by strangers? For the majority of young families in the UK, dual income only makes financial sense (or is even possible) thanks to the various tax credits and subsidies from the government. Quite why the government wants to give people incentives not to raise their own children, I have no idea.

Umm, not all women work in admin but perhaps in your circle they do?

Quite why the government wants to give people incentives not to raise their own children, I have no idea.

Check 'Cultural marxism'.

Breaking families down forces individuals to rely purely on the state.

As a matter of interest, how many brushes and mops do you get through in an average month?

Most still have to go through mopping&brushing on top of their day job. That's the new women's freedom for you. By being 'euqal' they ended up working twice as much compared to their grandmothers.

Umm, not all women work in admin but perhaps in your circle they do?

In my circle the women work as academic researchers in labs. They are intelligent and pretty successful careerwise, but the ones who can afford to leave work to raise their kids usually do. The ones who come back generally do so for financial reasons, not because it is their calling. The last one to come back a year after having a baby told me when she returned that she didn't want to, but she and her husband bought as FTBs in 2006 and realised while she was out of work that they cannot afford to pay the mortgage on his salary alone. Of course this is only anecdotal, but the idea that women no longer have a choice about whether to work or stay at home is true in many cases.

Edit: I am all in favour of househusbands or both parents working part time if that is how a couple wants to arrange their childraising. If both parents want to work full time, that's fine too. The trouble is that few people under 40 can afford to have a non-working adult in their house even if they want to.

Edited by Dorkins

+1,000,000

Ask Harriet Harperson.

Me and the Misses are early 40's and have no kids.

For us to have had kids it would have been a planned choice but when you're living in a rented 1 bedroom flat the time never seamed right. If we could have afforded a house like my parents could in the 1970 maybe we would have popped some sproggs by now?

Most still have to go through mopping&brushing on top of their day job. That's the new women's freedom for you. By being 'euqal' they ended up working twice as much compared to their grandmothers.

Some do this, some don't. It depends on personality and there are loads out there.

The trouble is that few people under 40 can afford to have a non-working adult in their house even if they want to.

That's the main result of the modern liberation enslavement of women.

That's the main result of the modern liberation enslavement of women

My parents generation were far more enslaved than we are today and I'm grateful this has changed.

HPI has made society unpleasant and enslaved. Equality has nothing to do with it.

I'm coming round to the idea, more and more, that high house prices are not the cause of the issue stated in the OP. Rather, high prices and delaying these decision are symptoms of the greed, selfishness and immaturity so freely flaunted today.

there, I said it.