House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ashez86

Moving To Edinburgh Next Summer '11

Hello all.

Myself, my dog, and my fiance will be moving to Edinburgh in Summer 2011 (my fiance got a job there.) We have been to Edinburgh once on a holiday, and fell in love with the city and the country, so this was great news to us. However, we have no idea were to begin as far as looking for a flat to rent. His job will be in the City Center near St Giles Cathedral. I know this is a more expensive area to live, no doubt, but we prefer to stay somewhere close. I am looking for advise on areas. Our budget for rent will be around 740 per month. Also, any other advice would be appreciated!

I know this is a long time off to be asking advice, but we are moving from The States, so it's a big deal and we have a lot to do in 8 months time.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

If you look a short distance outside the city, around £650 per month could get you a 2-bed HOUSE, not a flat, with an easy rail commute into Waverley.

If you look a short distance outside the city, around £650 per month could get you a 2-bed HOUSE, not a flat, with an easy rail commute into Waverley.

Agreed.

However it's worth pointing out that commuting by train is quite expensive and the service is not that great for what you pay.

Anyway, it can easily add an extra £250 (for 2 people) on top of the rent...

BTW, don't forget about the council tax which will be payable by you ~£130 per month (includes water charges) depending on the size and location of the property.

Hello all.

Myself, my dog, and my fiance will be moving to Edinburgh in Summer 2011 (my fiance got a job there.) We have been to Edinburgh once on a holiday, and fell in love with the city and the country, so this was great news to us. However, we have no idea were to begin as far as looking for a flat to rent. His job will be in the City Center near St Giles Cathedral. I know this is a more expensive area to live, no doubt, but we prefer to stay somewhere close. I am looking for advise on areas. Our budget for rent will be around 740 per month. Also, any other advice would be appreciated!

I know this is a long time off to be asking advice, but we are moving from The States, so it's a big deal and we have a lot to do in 8 months time.

Edinburgh is a wonderfully compact city. There is no need to live right in the very centre, although it is perfectly affordable to do so. Areas such as Marchmont and Bruntsfield are within twenty minutes’ walk of the Old Town, while Stockbridge and Comely Bank are about twenty minutes from the New Town. These are all expensive areas though! Many other areas are just a shortish bus ride from the centre, although this can be time-consuming at peak times.

Get a good, folding-out map like the Edinburgh Premier Map and you should get a feel for which districts are close to the centre.

If you’re used to US cities, especially the vast urban sprawls of the midwest and west, you’ll be amazed how nearly half a million inhabitants can be crammed into such a small area that Edinburgh occupies!

Assuming that you like the city-centre lifestyle and don't want to commute from some satellite town then £740 should stretch to a 2-bed victorian tenement in one of the nicer areas from which your partner can easily walk/bike to work. Somewhere like Bruntsfield is very nice and a modest walk from St Giles' cathedral.

Hello all.

We are renting a two bed in the Albany street area for a little over £800 a month...think it is a bit overpriced, but is close to some lovely shops - Crombie's, arguably one of the best butchers in town, Artisan coffee (really good coffee), Urban Angels, Real Foods and loads of other small independent shops, cafes and restaurants. It is 10 minutes walking to Waverly station and Princess street, and 20 minutes to Stockbridge, Old Town and Holyrood Park.

The biggest problem you might face is the dog - lots of flats do not allow dogs, and for the ones which do, you might want a garden flat (often basement) for the dog...

Edinburgh is a wonderful city and we too, moved from the US and absolutely love it!

Thanks for the advice everyone! This definitely gives me some good starting points.

I was going to ask, as the above post stated actually, about the dog. Is it hard to find somewhere that will allow a dog? A friend who lives in Glasgow told me that its nearly impossible close with in the city center there to find somewhere to allow dogs, but it's much easier to find a place right outside the city in a rental house, as opposed in inner city flat.

Thanks for the advice everyone! This definitely gives me some good starting points.

I was going to ask, as the above post stated actually, about the dog. Is it hard to find somewhere that will allow a dog? A friend who lives in Glasgow told me that its nearly impossible close with in the city center there to find somewhere to allow dogs, but it's much easier to find a place right outside the city in a rental house, as opposed in inner city flat.

I would suggest that the dog would be an issue as most places I see for rent are the stereotypical no smoking/children/pets/farting/walking on carpet etc. ie nothing that might damage their precious investment.

I would try calling a few letting agents and see what they say to give you an idea. I know mine told me a definate no to a cat, but on the other hand they also expect me to keep an ashtray that belongs to the LL as 'it is on the inventory' i must have signed at least three bits of paper to say I would never smoke (or allow smoking) in the place.