House Price Crash Forum

Have You Played Monopoly

Faithman

HOLA441

I played Monopoly many times as a teenager and it taught me that if you get the property early and people are willing to pay rent, then you win.

Paying rent ensures that you lose!!

I understand the game was invented to make this point.

The 'rentier society' is BTL propaganda and some are falling for it.

Paying rent, even if less than mortgage will promote HPI, because eventually prices will rise.

HOLA442

There is a big flaw in the game - the assumption is that money does not leak from the system. In reality it does - trade deficit, defaults, people sending investment and savings abroad or leaving the closed loop system and chasing in and removing money.

Actually, the winner is the person who has all the property and has effetively bankrupted everybody else, at that point there is no money to pay rent and the property is worth how much? Who are the buyers?

HOLA443

Thats like saying whos the winner on a house buying game, the person with the most houses of course.

When you play monopoly and have money in the game through whatever means your supposed to build houses and hotels thats the point of the game, so of course the winner would have the most houses and hotels.

Who would be the winner on a Emigration game? the person who sells their house and tied assests of course.

Who would be the winner on a imaginary game called Gold Strike? the person with the most gold or gold mines of course.

Who would be the winner on a game called Property Destruction, the person who obliterates property first.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I was discussing monopoly a few months ago with a friend who is into social credit. The board game was originally 3 board games showing different economies, and how successful they could be> The monopoly board (which was the first one in the game) was to show how badly it worked i.e. how one person ultimately becomes richer and the others become bankrupt. The other two boardgames (and i can't remember what she said they were about but i'm sure some of you clever people will have an idea of what it could be) Basically it was to show what a disaster the current economy is (was - as it was early last centuary that the game was invented), and other examples of how they eventually change - or how they could change. The original inventer(s) was horrified that this got patented only by someone else who i think nicked the idea. The facts here are only vague - in fact here's an article relating to it here. I think you can see the originasl full game in some museum in London.

http://www.washingtonfreepress.org/36/monopoly.html

(not sure how to put a proper link on here - so don't know if it's done it right)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I used to steal from the bank

That was one of the things I used to like about the 'Illuminati' game: it was perfectly legal to steal from the bank (or other players) provided no other players saw it and complained.

Another nice thing was that you could often win in one turn even if you appeared to be way behind... all it took was for one of the other players to leave one piece inadequately defended and you could take over 90% of their pieces in one go. Made it a lot more exciting than Monopoly :).

HOLA4419
Whoever gets the most orange property always wins - satistical fact!

you do have a point tulip!!......I usually play along similar lines,as long as you aim for orange/red/yellow props you are on a winner.

the theory is that these props are the first ones you visit after coming out of jail,and at the end of the yellow row is GO TO JAIL.I f you get thrown in the slammer you have to face it all over again when you get out......more frequently than the other props......so hence more rent!

That's my stategy,what about you guys??

who goes for what in monopoly and why?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Was I alone in finding Monopoly the MOST BORING GAME EVER?

It went on and on and on and on, and the winner was the only person who gave a sh1t at the end. Utterly tedious.

If you were playing the game alone then yea its the most boring game ever.

Though i must admit playing Snap by yourself takes a while to.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Utilities weren't worth the time of day but in the real world of worthless watchdogs I'd say they were an excellent investment.

Another great lesson learned is stations are only worth having if you have a monopoly on them. Though in the real world, how is cheap fares on the Midlands going to help me when I have to travel in the South East?

HOLA4425
Was I alone in finding Monopoly the MOST BORING GAME EVER?

It went on and on and on and on, and the winner was the only person who gave a sh1t at the end. Utterly tedious.

I remember it often ending with a bad taste in most people's mouths. Something to do with the inherent injustice of the situation I suspect.