House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Michael Winner's Debt Reaches £9M

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1322613/Not-everyones-winner-pursuing-luxury-lifestyle-film-director-9-million-debt.html

He famously complained about being £6 million in debt, but Michael Winner reveals that in maintaining his luxury lifestyle he has sunk even further into the red.

In less than 18 months the critic and film director has had to borrow an extra £3 million and is now £9 million in debt. He said: ‘I did borrow £3 million more, [my debts] have gone from £6 to £9 million in a short space of time.

‘I have spent it on living. I have spent it maintaining my lifestyle. I have an opulent lifestyle and it goes on that.

‘It goes on private planes, restaurants, chauffeurs, and I have quite a big staff.’

Winner insisted he was still very rich but borrowed the money because he ‘got a good rate’ and he needed it to cover his expense.

He said he had yet to spend the full £3 million but took out the lump some loan because he did not want to keep returning every time he needed a bit more cash.

It is estimated that he is worth in excess of £25 million.

The star does not have a mortgage on his multi-million pound home, and regularly holidays in Barbados staying at the exclusive Sandy Lane resort which is a popular playground for the rich.

Speaking on BBC1’s This Week he said: ‘It is better to be comfortable. It is better to be unhappy in comfort.

‘You have to be rich to be nine million pounds in debt – you have to have an enormous amount to pay it back.’

It is understood a reader who worked for Barclays Wealth contacted him last year asking if he needed a new loan after he told of his initial debts of £6 million.

Playground of the rich: Guernsey, a popular offshore finance centre, where Winner says he has millions of pounds stashed away

He said at the time: ‘In truth, I wish I'd borrowed more, earlier and lived a life of even greater luxury. If you spend money and as a result have a nicer day, you're ahead of the game. You won that day. You changed it from grey to gold. Do that more often and you have a better life.’

Winner has told how he has millions of pounds in a ‘rollover account’ in Guernsey. He explained: ‘What that means is you give money to a bank or financial services outfit, and they turn your money into shares and put it on the money market.

For some strange reason this has to be done in Guernsey or Jersey or some funny place like that. Because that way, you're earning interest but at the end of the year you don't have to pay tax on it.

As your cash is suddenly shares, you only pay when you the sell the shares and bring the money into mainland UK.

Restaurant critic Michel Winner is famous and his name will live on eternally in the phrase "Winner's Sauce", a name given to the sperm which London chefs have ejaculated into virtually every meal he has eaten for the last twenty years.

You must credit the guy's cajones, as he openly describes how he avoids tax in a national newspaper - at a time, when the readership are expecting to see big tax rises.

I would sooner go to my grave in poverty than being known as a man who has consumed more human sperm than any man other alive... Ian Hislop even directly referred to it in an episode of HIGNFY... Winner's eyes glazed over and he pretended not to understand, but Michael Winner's sperm consumption habits had been directly referred to in Private Eye for many years.

Moral of the lesson, don't criticize the chef, and do not gain a reputation for criticizing the Lower Orders who prepare vour food. Otherwise they will spunk into it before they "serve" it to you.

Restaurant critic Michel Winner is famous and his name will live on eternally in the phrase "Winner's Sauce", a name given to the sperm which London chefs have ejaculated into virtually every meal he has eaten for the last twenty years.

I wonder what happens if the chef is female. I'm sure they'd think of something! :lol:

'Worth' £25m

Owes £9m, increasing by 50% every 18 months.

If i were the banks it be looking to move in before the next 18 months is up.

These self-valuations are notoriously optimistic.

This is part of the problem .. He needs to pay his debts if he has "worth"

LoL

Celebs have a habit of encouraging this sort of behaviour from chefs.

Back in 1989 I was working as a waiter (6th form job) at the Garden House Hotel in Cambridge. On informing a chef that Geoffrey Archer was at that particular function the said chef proceeded to whack his old man out and piss in the soup he was preparing for the starter course :lol:

A now common, albeit extreme version, of the very sad and selfish philosophy of 'die broke'. Given his age he clearly thinks he has little time left and intends to enjoy every last penny. Even though he doesnt have any children(?) this sort of attitude, in my view, is reprehensible.

The best punishment for him would be if he actually lived a lot longer than he assumes he will (unless he privately knows something the media doesnt). Would be lovely to see him in relative poverty in his nineties - or perhaps he's the cowardly sort who (like Maxwell) cant face life without money and would sooner kill himself than see that happen.

'Worth' £25m

Owes £9m, increasing by 50% every 18 months.

If i were the banks it be looking to move in before the next 18 months is up.

These self-valuations are notoriously optimistic.

He will be taking a loan from the same bank that is storing his cash in the Channel Islands. They'll know his position to the penny.

LoL

Celebs have a habit of encouraging this sort of behaviour from chefs.

Back in 1989 I was working as a waiter (6th form job) at the Garden House Hotel in Cambridge. On informing a chef that Geoffrey Archer was at that particular function the said chef proceeded to whack his old man out and piss in the soup he was preparing for the starter course :lol:

Yup, after I left school I trained as a chef at Lewisham College, then worked at the Beauchamp Restaurant at Knightsbridge. We used to get plenty of arsey, self-important celebrity customers, we just used to spit into their meals or pick our noses and put a bogey or two into it.

This is part of the problem .. He needs to pay his debts if he has "worth"

Why. He is almost surely earning more money by borrowing and not paying tax on his Channel Island accounts than by doing it the peasant way. Guaranteed his rather expensive accountant has thought this through to the nth decimal place.

A now common, albeit extreme version, of the very sad and selfish philosophy of 'die broke'. Given his age he clearly thinks he has little time left and intends to enjoy every last penny. Even though he doesnt have any children(?) this sort of attitude, in my view, is reprehensible.

He is a (financial) burden on no one. He's spending money into the economy. What is the problem? Should he leave it to the NSPCC to spunk on the TV?

He is a (financial) burden on no one. He's spending money into the economy. What is the problem? Should he leave it to the NSPCC to spunk on the TV?

Firstly there is the question of which economy is he supporting? and is his spending really have that much of a redistribuitve or 'trickle down' effect? I somehow doubt it.

As for NSPCC TV advertising? Not particularly (although I dont see it as unworthy, just not value for money as you insinuate). What I had in mind is that he actually tries to spend a whole afternoon from his ever so busy and self-important life to reflect on the people and events in his life that have made contributions - and show some 'gratitude' and thanks. Its usually too much for shallow people like him to actually think in terms of 'legacy' or acknowledge that anyone else at all had any part in their success.

The best that can, usually, be hoped for is that amidst his supposed profligacy he has actually given thought to leave anything to anyone. A simplistic example, he was a film-maker, so IF he a really cared about his 'art'/craft rather than just regard it as the means by which he came by his wealth, he might bequeath something to assist/support up and coming wannabe film-makers, etc etc. I would pleasantly suprised, in his case, if something like that happened.

But he may well surprise us when he passes on...

What's your objection? Why is this attitude reprehensible?

The best punishment for him would be if he actually lived a lot longer than he assumes he will (unless he privately knows something the media doesnt). Would be lovely to see him in relative poverty in his nineties - or perhaps he's the cowardly sort who (like Maxwell) cant face life without money and would sooner kill himself than see that happen.

:lol: Are you part of the nanny state group?

Firstly there is the question of which economy is he supporting? and is his spending really have that much of a redistribuitve or 'trickle down' effect? I somehow doubt it.

As for NSPCC TV advertising? Not particularly (although I dont see it as unworthy, just not value for money as you insinuate). What I had in mind is that he actually tries to spend a whole afternoon from his ever so busy and self-important life to reflect on the people and events in his life that have made contributions - and show some 'gratitude' and thanks. Its usually too much for shallow people like him to actually think in terms of 'legacy' or acknowledge that anyone else at all had any part in their success.

The best that can, usually, be hoped for is that amidst his supposed profligacy he has actually given thought to leave anything to anyone. A simplistic example, he was a film-maker, so IF he a really cared about his 'art'/craft rather than just regard it as the means by which he came by his wealth, he might bequeath something to assist/support up and coming wannabe film-makers, etc etc. I would pleasantly suprised, in his case, if something like that happened.

But he may well surprise us when he passes on...

Ah, that's made my night. Was feeling down, but that's put a smile on my face before bed.

Thank you. lol

I think he thinks he hasn't got that long to go and he might as well go out in style. I wouldn't be expecting much if I was one of his heirs.

One might even say he has a death wish.

Yup, after I left school I trained as a chef at Lewisham College, then worked at the Beauchamp Restaurant at Knightsbridge. We used to get plenty of arsey, self-important celebrity customers, we just used to spit into their meals or pick our noses and put a bogey or two into it.

A friend of mine is a trolley dolly with BA , In first class they get a lot of up their own ass celebs, the "pan fried steak" is the favorite meal for the really annoying ones a nice fillet steak wiped around the pan of the toilet ...

The man is obsessed with telling everyone how much money he has and clearly his life style is costing more than he can earn on his wealth and earnings

I can offer no evidence to support my deep gut feeling that he may be worth a great deal less than £25 million and the debts are probably a great deal more than £9 million.

When the two meet the shame he will feel will kill him