House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ashez86

Moving To Edinburgh Next Summer '11

Hello all.

Myself, my dog, and my fiance will be moving to Edinburgh in Summer 2011 (my fiance got a job there.) We have been to Edinburgh once on a holiday, and fell in love with the city and the country, so this was great news to us. However, we have no idea were to begin as far as looking for a flat to rent. His job will be in the City Center near St Giles Cathedral. I know this is a more expensive area to live, no doubt, but we prefer to stay somewhere close. I am looking for advise on areas. Our budget for rent will be around 740 per month. Also, any other advice would be appreciated!

I know this is a long time off to be asking advice, but we are moving from The States, so it's a big deal and we have a lot to do in 8 months time.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Two obvious choices. Head South for the likes of Morningside, Bruntsfield or Marchmont. Or head North for the New Town.

Few examples here. Try posting on the Scotland sub forum for more advice. Few people there who have lived in these places so could be of more use.

New Town - bit more than your budget but these are asking prices. Feel free to negotiate.

£775 Edge of New Town

New Town £825

Southside:

£800 Bruntsfield

Now these are above your budget but not by a lot and you can negotiate. They are very nice looking places though and there is lots you can get for less.

Two useful search engines linked below:

Citylets

Letting Web

Good luck

Edited by ccc

i agree with what CCC says, good areas to live in. Personally i would avoid the areas which have loads of flats to rent at the moment down by the sea front - if it has the words Leith, Pilton or Granton you would do well to stay clear imho, lots of scum populate those areas. I realise thats a very broad generalisation as there are some ok places in leith - but best be on the safe side.I was born and brought up in edinburgh and lived there for 27 years and still go back regularly, and to me those areas were a renovation project gone wrong, some developers seemed to realise that as well with some suspicious fires starting around there :)