House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blankster

Somerset - 3 Tory Councillors Resign As Huge Cuts Announced

Somerset is a Conservative run council. Just announcing big cuts and 3 CONSERVATIVE councillors are reported to have resigned.

If this is going on in a Tory council, I think the national coalition will break down very soon.

Edited by blankster

Somerset is a Conservative run council. Just announcing big cuts and 3 CONSERVATIVE councillors are reported to have resigned.

If this is going on in a Tory council, I think the national coalition will break down very soon.

do you have a deductive process behind this assertion, or are these just two disconnected comments - 3 tinpot somerset (!) councillors resign, and you hope the coalition will break?

OOO AARRR,

Well I'll be a cider drinker.

Now if it had been 3 LibDem councillors, I could see your logic, otherwise :rolleyes:

I there a link, I could only find this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-11583799

20 October 2010 Last updated at 12:23

A Somerset councillor who was suspended after wearing a tin helmet and waving a Canadian flag as part of a land dispute protest has been reinstated.

Andrew Earle was suspended for two months for breaching council members' code of conduct over his behaviour towards a woman following the protest.

Edited by northwestsmith2

So what theyre saying is other generations should pay for their excess.

I'll bet theyre of a certain age.

£50 they're under 35 years old, I'll wager.

Whoops I've probably lost.

People might make light of this but road maintenance (note: maintenance, not improvements) in Somerset is to be cut by 70% and rumours INSIDE the council are that nearly all the public libraries in the county are to be closed down or turned over to volunteers, in clear contravention of the council's legal obligation under the Public Libraries and Museums Act. If you think all this is all a bit parochial and provincial, if it happens in Somerset today, it could be London / Birmingham / Glasgow tomorrow.

The point is that the national coalition government will probably collapse in the next few months and Labour will probably win the resulting general election, but the damage done by Somerset's default of duty will cost more to put right than the initial savings.

Edited by blankster

People might make light of this but road maintenance (note: maintenance, not improvements) in Somerset is to be cut by 70% and rumours INSIDE the council are that nearly all the public libraries in the county are to be closed down or turned over to volunteers, in clear contravention of the council's legal obligation under the Public Libraries and Museums Act. If you think all this is all a bit parochial and provincial, if it happens in Somerset today, it could be London / Birmingham / Glasgow tomorrow.

The point is that the national coalition government will probably collapse in the next few months and Labour will probably win the resulting general election, but the damage done by Somerset's default of duty will cost more to put right than the initial savings.

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/news/Council-axe-700-jobs-months-s-just-round-cuts/article-2789483-detail/article.html

Rumours are that smaller libraries (such as the ones in small towns such as Bruton & Castle Cary) are under threat...The "big three" i.e the ones in Taunton, Yeovil & Bridgwater will probably suffer some budget cuts, but the service will generally stay the same..

I don't think there is much support for the coalition out there. We keep seeing polls but can we really trust them since Murdoch seems to have funded nearly all of them.

I'm not sure the coalition will last a full year. As soon as the lib dems start losing seats in bi elections then I think you will see huge splits.

Voters like the idea of cuts but I doubt they will enjoy the reality.

Rumours are that smaller libraries (such as the ones in small towns such as Bruton & Castle Cary) are under threat...The "big three" i.e the ones in Taunton, Yeovil & Bridgwater will probably suffer some budget cuts, but the service will generally stay the same..
It has already been announced that Bruton library is to close and possibly turned over to a volunteer group. I'm not sure if it's actually closed yet. The rumour 'from within' is that the county council is considering retaining only 4 libraries throughout Somerset. The rest would closed or be handed over to volunteer groups to do with as they wish.
Especially the 70% cut to the road maintenance budget in Somerset just announced - which was the reason one of the Tory council cabinet members gave for his immediate resignation. Even continued gritting of the roads during a prolonged bad spell this winter is in doubt. Edited by blankster

It has already been announced that Bruton library is to close and possibly turned over to a volunteer group. I'm not sure if it's actually closed yet. The rumour 'from within' is that the county council is considering retaining only 4 libraries throughout Somerset. The rest would closed or be handed over to volunteer groups to do with as they wish.

Taunton, Yeovil, Bridgwater, Frome?

Edited by Dave Beans

Taunton, Yeovil, Bridgwater, Frome?

You got it.

But I think the council will crumble first, the way things are going. Having said all this, I don't think it will be quite as drastic as the rumour, but it indicates that this is what people are thinking of. Apparently another west country county council was rumoured to have considered closing down its entire library service - which would put it clearly in breach of it's legal obligation. Across the other side of the country, Suffolk County Council is looking at outsourcing ALL of its services.

Edited by blankster

You got it.

But I think the council will crumble first, the way things are going. Having said all this, I don't think it will be quite as drastic as the rumour, but it indicates that this is what people are thinking of. Apparently another west country county council was rumoured to have considered closing down its entire library service - which would put it clearly in breach of it's legal obligation. Across the other side of the country, Suffolk County Council is looking at outsourcing ALL of its services.

Hmm...not too sure about Frome. I know its a fairly largish town for Somerset, but they'd have a number of libraries around them, including Trowbridge & Bath (admittedly in different counties). However, if Minehead closes, the nearest library must be 30/40 miles away (Bridgwater)...Having said that, there's a enough old dears there for them to run a voluntary service..

Edited by Dave Beans

My gut reaction is I'm against library closures but I have to admit I struggle with a compelling argument to keep them,

Also, the idea of a government toppling coalition split and a return of Labour is a complete fantasy.

One, there's no way those Lib Dems with ministerial jobs will give up the power and authority

And, secondly, there's no way the electorate would vote view Ed Miliband as a Prime Minister in waiting.

Some Lib Dems might defect to Labour or even start their own splinter party. The BBC would get terrifically excited the coalition was falling apart but, it would soon be business as usual.

My gut reaction is I'm against library closures but I have to admit I struggle with a compelling argument to keep them,

Also, the idea of a government toppling coalition split and a return of Labour is a complete fantasy.

One, there's no way those Lib Dems with ministerial jobs will give up the power and authority

And, secondly, there's no way the electorate would vote view Ed Miliband as a Prime Minister in waiting.

Some Lib Dems might defect to Labour or even start their own splinter party. The BBC would get terrifically excited the coalition was falling apart but, it would soon be business as usual.

Could a setup a "national" library service, irrespective of county council borders? There are numerous libraries that are adjacent to each other, but sit in different councils. If necessary, you could close libraries that are close to one another, but keep open those with no other library in close proximity.

Libraries also provide internet access - ideal for those jobseekers that cannot afford broadband...

One of the things I did notice about the spending review last week, was that it seemed to me that a huge amount of the cuts would fall on councils to carry out.

I wonder how they can really do this. Councils dont have a lot of freedom. On the one side the amount that they can raise in tax is capped, on the other, they have to pay set levels of wages and provide certain levels of public service. It seemed to me that under certain circumstances, they would be unable to both meet their obligations and provide those services if their income was below what was required to meet their obligations.

Add in the potential nasty that councillors can end up being bankrupted to pay for a budget if it is found to be illegal, which was brought in to stop them spending the money they dont have. If central government legislation means that some councils have no opportunity to set a legal budget, the I dont see how anyone could be a councillor unless they were penniless.

I can see a lot of councillors resigning over the next few months if the situation is as bad for them as it appears.

odd that, cut the roads repairs....100% visible.

cut the libraries...always a favourite.

next, less front line staff to answer the phone.

yet, not one salary cut, not one pension cut....the biggest cost in any beaurocratic organisation is staff.....where are the cuts of 50% above 25K?

Where is the suspension of forcing inappropriate IT into departments? Friend of ours has seen the department forced to use some system called (IIRC) OSCARS...it is a pain to fill in, the blanks dont fill in in any logical order, and worse, much of the info it DEMANDS they dont have, so it means phone calls to other departments to get codes, details and other info.

very stressful.

Add in the potential nasty that councillors can end up being bankrupted to pay for a budget if it is found to be illegal, which was brought in to stop them spending the money they dont have. If central government legislation means that some councils have no opportunity to set a legal budget, the I dont see how anyone could be a councillor unless they were penniless.

I can see a lot of councillors resigning over the next few months if the situation is as bad for them as it appears.

Spot on. I can't say I've ever fancied being a councillor myself, but I know a good few of our local ones. Most of them are wallies and the older ones are mildly eccentric - but I can see mass resignations coming up soon. Who would be a councillor and take the risk of being personally surcharged for all sorts of things when budgets are being cut?

The fact is that local government is largely run by wallies and most of the employees have a sense of entitlement (easy life, plenty of sick pay, long holidays, low stress, early retirement, good pension, good working conditions etc.) (By the way I am not talking about 'the public sector', I am talking about local government.)

Spot on. I can't say I've ever fancied being a councillor myself, but I know a good few of our local ones. Most of them are wallies and the older ones are mildly eccentric - but I can see mass resignations coming up soon. Who would be a councillor and take the risk of being personally surcharged for all sorts of things when budgets are being cut?

The fact is that local government is largely run by wallies and most of the employees have a sense of entitlement (easy life, plenty of sick pay, long holidays, low stress, early retirement, good pension, good working conditions etc.) (By the way I am not talking about 'the public sector', I am talking about local government.)

Spot on yourself! I was a District Councillor for fourteen years and I am both a Wally and slightly eccentric. I was talking to a sitting Lib Dem only last week and there seems to be a big disparity between the ground troops and the high command.Admittedly this guy is beard and sandals (literally,and he runs a toy train shop) but what is happening goes completely against what the Lib Dems have worked towards for decades.There may be trouble ahead.

I don't think there is much support for the coalition out there. We keep seeing polls but can we really trust them since Murdoch seems to have funded nearly all of them.

I'm not sure the coalition will last a full year. As soon as the lib dems start losing seats in bi elections then I think you will see huge splits.

Actually, I'm not sure that voters do like the idea of cuts. This despite every media channel dong the whole 'There Is No Alternative' thing, the Murdoch media relentlessly pushing for them and the politicians arguing for them. Cutting heavily into a poor economic recovery is not particularly good economics as far as I can tell, and neither is cutting the budget for tax collection when avoidance and evasion are rife.