House Price Crash Forum
cypher007

Couple Of Comments On A Telegraph Story

13. Realistbearthemuppet

(21 October 2010, 12:42PM) Complain about this comment

Up, down, sideways, who knows? One things for certain people who've tried to predict are usually wrong. Take those bunch of nutters on HPC. Many have been prediciting 'doom and gloom' for the last ten years, and what's happened? I now notice some of them have 'smelt the coffee' and realise what idiots they've been!

15. nvp

(21 October 2010, 01:18PM) Complain about this comment

point 2 - Housing

this is an absolute disaster in short term (3-5 years) for the housing market ....and you will not prise any significant discounts from current middle class owners of property until interest rates rise significantly and they have to ditch or be Repo'd (after being given the allowances of course)

Hell will freeze over before most owners will sell the family house for less than they wanted to...let alone a loss.........

Stagnation rules for the present time...unless someone decides certain segments of the UK property market merits a buy bubble Asset play

PS will that new Tenant 90% of market rent filter through to any landlords offering their prorties through local council schemes ?

...........that sounds tasty !

NVP

both comments are i think spot on especially number 15.

Many have been prediciting 'doom and gloom' for the last ten years, and what's happened?

the biggest financial crash since the great depression

and HPC has only been going since 2004

still, if the sheeple carry on believing

By that logic, no bubble would ever collapse and prices would never fall.

What about the collapse of the US housing market?

What about the collapse of the Irish housing market?

What about our own previous housing crashes?

What about the history of bubbles bursting since time immemorial?

Interest rates and the various benefits are clearly propping up the market, but it won't last forever.

Fundamentals always win through in the end.

And edit to add that the latest index of SOLD prices indicates a 3.6% monthly fall. Read into that what you will.

Edited by Kyoto

I was ridiculed every work breaktime if I opened my mouth and said I thought property prices would fall

Colleagues regularly boasted how there house was worth '10K more this week' according to 'this or that web tool'

Whenever a FTBer said they were looking to buy and I started to speak the others would yawn and say 'here he goes again'

so much so that in the end I kept my silence and never mentioned property

For the last few weeks the same people are now talking about falling prices as if 'I wasn't there'.

But what was truly remarkable for me yesterday was when one of the Bulls said that a neighbouring property, which they had wanted to acquire for years to combine into one house, had come onto the market, but that they were in no rush to buy as it would only get CHEAPER.

Edited by LiveinHope

By that logic, no bubble would ever collapse and prices would never fall.

What about the collapse of the US housing market?

What about the collapse of the Irish housing market?

What about our own previous housing crashes?

What about the history of bubbles bursting since time immemorial?

Interest rates and the various benefits are clearly propping up the market, but it won't last forever.

Fundamentals always win through in the end.

And edit to add that the latest index of SOLD prices indicates a 3.6% monthly fall. Read into that what you will.

You fool! None of these ever happened! La la la all is good my housing investments are doing well la la la la!

You fool! None of these ever happened! La la la all is good my housing investments are doing well la la la la!

Exactly. If sellers never sold for a loss and always just waited for a profit, I'd be speculating on houses, stocks, metals, commodities, derivatives. Heck, even crusty dog turds as i simply would hold on and not sell my old dog poo for a loss. A free one way bet!

Back in the real world, people are very much at the whims of real life. And highly leveraged to boot.

Edited by Kyoto

I was ridiculed every work breaktime if I opened my mouth and said I thought property prices would fall

Colleagues regularly boasted how there house was worth '10K more this week' according to 'this or that web tool'

Whenever a FTBer said they were looking to buy and I started to speak the others would yawn and say 'here he goes again'

For the last few weeks the same people are now talking about falling prices as if 'I wasn't there'.

But what was truly remarkable for me yesterday was when one of the Bulls said that a neighbouring property, which they had wanted to acquire for years to combine into one house, had come onto the market, but that they were in no rush to buy as it would only get CHEAPER.

Yeah, stop talking the market down. It's people like you wot cause unrest. Thay ain't making any new land, yerknow! Twigs in vase, etc..

edit for spellink.

Edited by Pytyr

Pretty much every bear here who wanted to keep relationships sweet would have learnt to shut up during the boom times. You got ridiculed - don't even try piping up now. They will still stare at you as though you are a pariah. If you aren't a "homeowner" or a "homeowner but bearish during the good times" then you know nothing.

The most ridiculous part about it is in a number of years you will be advising people to BUY and they will treat you like a pariah - "Prices will always fall/stagnate! Houses are the worst asset!" etc etc.

Just keep shtum and keep making money.

I've probably heard more sense talked here than in the "mainsteam press"!

Of course I've also heard more nonsense, racism, and a few "I earn more than yow"! stories too!

My speciality is the "nonsense"! :huh:

Same thing happened to me whilst in a stopgap job prior to the crash. Coffee break (out) area and a FTBer was keenly showing everyone the brochure of the £112k 2+2 home in a grotty part of Telford with 'close links' to the centre she was nearing completion on. I spoke up and said she was stark raving and I got stared out by everyone and when I argued if they are expecting the price of the house to keep going up and up past 200k and 10x salary they all just nodded in agreement for the wrong reasons. Anyway she went ahead with it and IMHO is sitting on £30k of negitive equity already.

:o

Edited by tomposh101

Pretty much every bear here who wanted to keep relationships sweet would have learnt to shut up during the boom times. You got ridiculed - don't even try piping up now. They will still stare at you as though you are a pariah. If you aren't a "homeowner" or a "homeowner but bearish during the good times" then you know nothing.

The most ridiculous part about it is in a number of years you will be advising people to BUY and they will treat you like a pariah - "Prices will always fall/stagnate! Houses are the worst asset!" etc etc.

Just keep shtum and keep making money.

That is so true. Great advice BTW.

Just remember: in a year or so when the apocalypse is in full swing it'll all be our fault for not getting on the ladder in 2007.

Tell 'em you were queuing for a mortgage at Northern Rock and accidentally started a bank run.