House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_duke_of_hazzard

Any Sys Admins Want A Job?

See my sig for useful detail, and PM me if you're interested.

West London, growing software company etc etc

You want an office full of doom and gloom HPCers banging on about economic instability and constantly on the HPC website...?!?!?!?!? :o:unsure:

Have to admit i am amazed how buoyant the IT market is and how good the rates are at the moment. I think IT is a good indicator going into recessions and coming out.... ;)

90% of my work is web based apps and e-commerce.

Back in the days of the dot com boom, I worked for a small company and got about about 6 months before it went under as I saw what was coming.

But back then e-commerce and online activities were seen as an avoidable overhead, these days, they're a sales opportunity - I'm as busy as I've ever been.

See my sig for useful detail, and PM me if you're interested.

West London, growing software company etc etc

How are you finding the raw, procedural, logic based programming skills of recent CS graduates?

Today's commercial intake didn't grow up hacking code on their ZX81 or BBC Micro, they're the games console generation.

Do you interview developers with some element of practical assessment?

I am noticing loads of good paying contracts in Germany, Holland and, interestingly, Sweden where a Chinese maker of Cisco-like boxes is looking for people.

I am beginning to wonder whether re-locating outside of the UK for a few years might be a good move. Knowing my luck, I would move away, earn good money and then return home to find a Labour Govt who had given everyone 10 billion to buy a 2 up 2 down.

I am beginning to wonder whether re-locating outside of the UK for a few years might be a good move. Knowing my luck, I would move away, earn good money and then return home to find a Labour Govt who had given everyone 10 billion to buy a 2 up 2 down.

Don't joke about it. I missed my generation's opportunity to buy at a historically cheap price by being out of the country in the '90s. When I came back, The Liar was in charge :ph34r:

Don't joke about it. I missed my generation's opportunity to buy at a historically cheap price by being out of the country in the '90s. When I came back, The Liar was in charge :ph34r:

I was not joking. I am getting very tempting and lucrative offers from tech companies who are basing operations in AMS, Munich, Stockholm.... but when I did this in the late 90s and went off to Silicon Valley, supposedly to earn good money, I had no idea that the public sector would become such a gravy train and that the world's biggest housing bubble would begin.

With hindsight, staying and getting a job in the Council would have been more lucrative.

How are you finding the raw, procedural, logic based programming skills of recent CS graduates?

Poor to non-existent. They do know about object-oriented programming, but no-one's told them that that's a myth yet.

Today's commercial intake didn't grow up hacking code on their ZX81 or BBC Micro, they're the games console generation.

Do you interview developers with some element of practical assessment?

From us, or in their courses? I make them write code in front of me. By hand.

I wouldn't have a clue about the job so I won't apply, but it's a shame I don't live in that part of the world because I would willingly do a week's free work placement just so I could sit around an office saying to everybody "Jesus H. Christ, have you seen what's happening to house prices? Tell me what your house is worth and I'll tell you how much it went down by last month"