House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Berliners Strip Off To Protest High Rents.

He points out that compared to the comparatively wealthy city of Munich, where tenants spend an average of 17.6 per cent of their income on rent, in Berlin the average is only 12.3 per cent.

My god, are those figures anywhere near accurate? That's nothing!

I think it's TiredOfWaiting who keeps going on about low housing costs in Germany, this would certainly confirm it!

I have been doing some research on rents in eastern Germany and the percentages in the article are plausible.

The key to me is :

He points out that compared to the comparatively wealthy city of Munich, where tenants spend an average of 17.6 per cent of their income on rent, in Berlin the average is only 12.3 per cent.

I don't know what the percentage is in the UK but I would suspect that it is something like double the level in Munich. To much income and capital in our economy is being allocated to shelter rather than something productive. It is no surprise that we are so far behind the Germans when it somes to ecconomic development.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/berliners-strip-in-protest-at-citys-skyhigh-rents-2389240.html

Thanks to R+R for the link.

I thought after yesterday's marathon you would like a little light entertainment.

doccy - no video link? ;)

WARNING - DO NOT WATCH IF EASILY OFFENDED, CONTAINS IMAGES OF NAKED PEOPLE DANCING BADLY

copy paste link into browser.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1C_lvoas8&feature=player_embedded

To much income and capital in our economy is being allocated to shelter rather than something productive.

God knows it doesn't show, when you see how crap the houses here are...

God knows it doesn't show, when you see how crap the houses here are...

Berlin Kreuzberg... the mecca of the airhead student protest since 1967.

For anyone who hasn't been there: Huge houses 5-6 stories high with 2-6 tiny flats per level, not updated since the last WW (or the one before that) which means: coal or oil ovens and shared outside toilets.

When you fit a heating system to such a house, it's not a case of putting in one boiler per flat, but one huge boiler per house and so on.

10 Euros per sqm rent sounds steep, until you realise just how prohibitively expensive it is to renovate such a house due to the laws and the sheer scale of the task. And right now the law is such that you're not even allowed to raise the rent for existing tenants if you renovate.

The house I live in (built in the 1950s) is not crap and we took great pride in redecorating it, also with this in Germany and the violent riots in France the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side although East and South London will perhaps explode. And go to any Third World shanty town to see truly terrible housing and for a reasonably developed country I heard that New Zealand, after deregulating its construction business, has had pretty crappy housing in the last twenty years.