House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alexj

Weekend Repairs - Ok Or Not?

My landlord is in the building trade and (understandably) he prefers avoid the managing agent and instead to do any repairs himself or get a friend to do it on evenings and weekends - usually weekends.

Its quite a hefty rent by the way, so its not like he makes £20 a month profit out of us.

I have to be in for the repairs but its ok as I work from home. So when he asked me which times suit me, I said I'm happy to have any time during the week (except when I have to do the school run) but weekends are family time so please could he only do emergency repairs at the weekend. However, he totally ignores this and arranges more or less everythign for the weekend. Last Saturday he turned up without any notice to do some work himself, so we had to cancel our trip out and stay in instead.

Then this morning I got a call from a painter who wants to paint the windows on Saturday (its freezing at the moment!).

He's been putting off several jobs for months and now suddenly he wants to do them all - but always when my husband and children are at home even thoughwe are hoping to go out and do stuff or have friends over.

Do i have any rights here because I can see that he is just going to ignore my polite requests?

My landlord is in the building trade and (understandably) he prefers avoid the managing agent and instead to do any repairs himself or get a friend to do it on evenings and weekends - usually weekends.

Its quite a hefty rent by the way, so its not like he makes £20 a month profit out of us.

I have to be in for the repairs but its ok as I work from home. So when he asked me which times suit me, I said I'm happy to have any time during the week (except when I have to do the school run) but weekends are family time so please could he only do emergency repairs at the weekend. However, he totally ignores this and arranges more or less everythign for the weekend. Last Saturday he turned up without any notice to do some work himself, so we had to cancel our trip out and stay in instead.

Then this morning I got a call from a painter who wants to paint the windows on Saturday (its freezing at the moment!).

He's been putting off several jobs for months and now suddenly he wants to do them all - but always when my husband and children are at home even thoughwe are hoping to go out and do stuff or have friends over.

Do i have any rights here because I can see that he is just going to ignore my polite requests?

I'm not sure if there are any legal rights about workmen at the weekend, as far as I know it's just 24 hours written notice at a mutually convenient time.

Having said that, you are entitled to privacy and to enjoy the property in peace.

I would tell him that you only want work done in the week and see what he says !

I did tell him. He said ok. Then he just totally ignores it. Sometimes he says "I know you said, but just this time its convenient blah blah". Basically every time is an exception.

the other thing he does is turn up without notice. usually he phones ahead - about 10 mins before and if i don't answer the phone because I am out or just have my hands full , he's on the doorstep 10 minutes later. dinner time is his favourite time to come because he's on his way home from work when I giving the children their tea. He also likes to turn up at weekends and he's taken to using the garden (which is big) as a place to store things from his other property.

Hi Alexj,

It does seem that your landlord is taking advantage of your good nature to do things at times that are convenient to him. You shouldn't have to cancel your family's plans so that your landlord can do repairs. I'm not a lawyer, so none of this is legal advice - just what I would do if I were in your situation:

I would suggest that you write your landlord a polite letter (keep a copy!) to state what you've said here - that you don't want non-emergency repairs being booked for the weekend (NO exceptions) and that you need 24 hours' notice before he can come round to do repairs, and only if you agree that it's convenient for you! That will at least give you a baseline where you reasserted what you expect of him. Then log every time he ignores your written request and turns up with no warning or tries to arrange work for a weekend. Do you have a contract? If so, does it have a clause about repairs and how much notice the landlord has to give you?

You will also need to start telling your landlord no when he arranges things for the weekend; otherwise he can just ignore you with no consequences. Tell the painter that you haven't agreed to him painting the windows on Saturday and he should not come - and if he does turn up, you won't let him in (and don't let him in if he does come!). If the painter is annoyed, he should take it up with the landlord, not you.

If your landlord shows up with no notice, tell him you are busy and he can't do the work now; he'll need to rearrange a time for the repair during the week with you as per your letter. DON'T let him in! It will probably be very stressful and just as disruptive as if you'd let him do the work at first, but unless you actually stick to your guns, your landlord will continue to get the work done at the weekend and in the evening on mates' rates, as it's cheaper and easier for him and he knows you won't stop him. You've got into a pattern of letting him get away with it, and you will need to draw a line and stick to it if you want his behaviour to change.

He also shouldn't be storing stuff in your garden. He can't treat your home like a storage unit. Again, I would ask him politely to take his stuff away and let him know in writing that you don't want him to store his things in the property.

If that doesn't stop him, your next step is probably the CAB.

When faced with a potential LL repair/access, issue I always ask myself 'If given my work/family/health situation and I owned this house, could I expect to get the work done promptly/at all, with the conditions/access arangements I was proposing to impose?' .

Everyones answer is likley to be different. You will know what to do based on your personal answer.

Good Luck.

He is a builder and the reason that he now wants to get all of your jobs done is because the building season is over, there is not as much paying work so he has time to do his own stuff.

If you keep changing plans and letting work go on at weekends then why would he ever stop? It does not matter what was said, if you allow it to continue then it will continue.

You have to refuse entry. Either do not be in or turn them away when they turn up unexpected or in spite of you telling the LL no.

You have to decide but if you are not going to make a stand then get used to accepting it rather than ending up with high blood pressure.

FWIW, I would never have altered plans for a family day out had someone just tipped up on the doorstep.

Plus why the hell are you letting him in at all hours at short notice. Worst case, he assaults you sexually and demonstrates a history of you letting him in at all hours when your husband is not there. "Not the first time we did it, she likes it rough"

Becomes his word against yours, and a nice prebuilt defence on his part.

Sheesh. I despair sometimes at the lack of caution people show.

Plus why the hell are you letting him in at all hours at short notice. Worst case, he assaults you sexually and demonstrates a history of you letting him in at all hours when your husband is not there. "Not the first time we did it, she likes it rough"

Becomes his word against yours, and a nice prebuilt defence on his part.

Sheesh. I despair sometimes at the lack of caution people show.

My God, what planet are you from?