Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Wrong to Buy?: Tonight

Thursday 21 October

7:30pm - 8:00pm

ITV1 London

The description sounds a bit bearish.

Report on whether the traditional British obsession with owning a home is changing, with expectations of ever-rising house prices and mortgages for all undergoing dramatic change following the credit crunch. Reporter Jonathan Maitland talks to families who say renting makes more sense than buying, and investigates whether a golden era of home ownership is coming to an end

Category News Magazine/Current Affairs

Director Catherine Morgan

Producer Catherine Morgan

ITV1 London 7:30pm-8:00pm (30 minutes) Thu 21 Oct

HOLA443
HOLA444

Report on whether the traditional British obsession with owning a home is changing, with expectations of ever-rising house prices and mortgages for all undergoing dramatic change following the credit crunch. Reporter Jonathan Maitland talks to families who say renting makes more sense than buying, and investigates whether a golden era of home ownership is coming to an end

Category News Magazine/Current Affairs

Director Catherine Morgan

Producer Catherine Morgan

ITV1 London 7:30pm-8:00pm (30 minutes) Thu 21 Oct

I wonder if they'll talk to any families with a couple of kids at school and a houseful of stuff, whose LLs have decided to kick them out at a couple of months' notice.

As usual, I guess it'll be skewed/edited to whatever shades of opinion they're aiming for.

I'll still watch it, though.

Thanks for posting.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Are we certain that this won't be a pro boom house price programme? Might it not be arguing that the property market is changing forever whereby house prices will not crash because we are turning into a society whereby people will rent rather than buy? Doesn't Jonathan Maitland own some BTL's? I could be wrong, of course, but I feel a bit wary about this one.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

If I remember rightly, Maitland did get into BTL but sold up early when he saw bubble in flashing neon lights.

I remember him on another programme years ago saying he knew it was time to get out "when main street follows wall street"

I also seem to remember him losing a fortune on day trading, at the height of the dotcom bubble.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

:o £280,000 for a council house they paid £20,000 for.

My mum and dad have a similar story. My dad was a manager at a hospital and when the hospital closed and sold off the staff housing he bought his house for £17k in 1985. Now worth well in excess of £200k. Some people have been very, very lucky.