House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Humans Will Be Able To Back Up Their Brains In 2 Decdades

Isn't it also good to do regular test restores?

No! People will leave the floppy disk on the bus, or give all their details to Google! :o:blink:

http://www.dailymail...-scientist.html

I am sure this will appeal to computer geeks and the forgetful alike.

The only question, should you do a full brain back up every time, or can you use incrementals?

Oh dear. Given the current thought crime paradigm, if anyone perused my backup I'd be going to jail for a very long time.

It has been observed that people making these type of "rapture for the nerds(*)" prediction usualy predict it happening within their own lifetime, Ray Kurzweil is 62, he predicts it will happen when he is 82 which he has a reasonable chance of seeing.

- I think it is unlikley that this kind of thing will be possible in this time frame. If it is possible at all, quantum indetermanancy might put the kybosh on the whole thing..

- The process would be destructive, your brain would definately be destroyed by the process...you would be ending your life and creating a child of your mind

- People don't seem realise how much who you are is tied up in your physical form, the biochemical processes in your body, and the situation you live in. This mind child even if if worked, would rapidly diverge from who you are now. Who you are now would see this thing as some totally different person that had little to do with you, or even an alien being that you couldn't understand. Who you are now would look at this new thing and wonder why you bothered.

[*] Rapture for the nerds explained: In the mostly American Religious Rapture mythology the rightchous are plucked from earth and sent to heaven and the naughty are left on Earth as a prequel to going to hell, the phrase Rapture for the nerds draws a parallel between the religious Rapture and the upload idea where the rightchous nerd goes to a type of computer heaven to live happily ever after. But doing what? Why bother? The afterwards is never explained.

Will it back up the stuff I can't remember? :unsure:

Oh dear. Given the current thought crime paradigm, if anyone perused my backup I'd be going to jail for a very long time.

'They can't get inside you,' she had said. But they could get inside you. 'What happens to you here is for ever,' O'Brien had said. That was a true word. There were things, your own acts, from which you could never recover. Something was killed in your breast: burnt out, cauterized out.

George Orwell, 1984

In honour of the first partially-sighted "brain downloader", who used only an egg-whisk, an old 8-track machine and a Rolf Harris wobble board

:lol: I think Heath Robinson was a design consultant on that one.

http://www.dailymail...-scientist.html

I am sure this will appeal to computer geeks and the forgetful alike.

The only question, should you do a full brain back up every time, or can you use incrementals?

When your brain gets done you may want to get a spellchecker add-on installed as well. :P

It has been observed that people making these type of "rapture for the nerds(*)" prediction usualy predict it happening within their own lifetime, Ray Kurzweil is 62, he predicts it will happen when he is 82 which he has a reasonable chance of seeing.

- I think it is unlikley that this kind of thing will be possible in this time frame. If it is possible at all, quantum indetermanancy might put the kybosh on the whole thing..

- The process would be destructive, your brain would definately be destroyed by the process...you would be ending your life and creating a child of your mind

- People don't seem realise how much who you are is tied up in your physical form, the biochemical processes in your body, and the situation you live in. This mind child even if if worked, would rapidly diverge from who you are now. Who you are now would see this thing as some totally different person that had little to do with you, or even an alien being that you couldn't understand. Who you are now would look at this new thing and wonder why you bothered.

[*] Rapture for the nerds explained: In the mostly American Religious Rapture mythology the rightchous are plucked from earth and sent to heaven and the naughty are left on Earth as a prequel to going to hell, the phrase Rapture for the nerds draws a parallel between the religious Rapture and the upload idea where the rightchous nerd goes to a type of computer heaven to live happily ever after. But doing what? Why bother? The afterwards is never explained.

You're scaring me.