House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Regional Bbc Tv News - Partisan, Pro-Labour, Pro-Unite, Against The Cuts?

'Look North' (The Yorkshire BBC regional news) barely - if at all - conceals its distaste for the cuts. It seems to be inviting almost exclusively negative comment from public sector and union VIs. Far more openly left wing than the BBC national news IMHO.

Is this the experience from BBC regional news in other people' opinions?

'Look North' (The Yorkshire BBC regional news) barely - if at all - conceals its distaste for the cuts. It seems to be inviting almost exclusively negative comment from public sector and union VIs. Far more openly left wing than the BBC national news IMHO.

Come on, any of the regions are going to feel the cuts sharply. I especially liked the old guy who said 'any working class person who voted conservative deserves everything they're going to get'.

All very well of us to look forward to spending cuts -> job losses -> house repossessions -> house prices crashes but at the end of the day, that attitude is as bad as the people who gloated in house price inflation in the first place.

Spare a thought for those who are losing their jobs. Look forward to house price deflation, but don't blame Joe Public.

Were Fista and Larry seething?

Had to laugh at BBC news 24 at about 5:30pm. Nigella's dad was being interviewed and a bloke in the background called him a f*****g idiot. Oh how I laughed. Not because I agreed, although they were probably right, but because the BEEB weren't able to cut it out from a live feed.

Edit: It wasn't Nigella's fatha, it was Lamont

I think almost everybody is against the cuts - even if we recognise they are (like taxes) necessary. The poorer people are being made to pay for the recklessness of the banks and the incompetence of Gordon Brown. Benefit reforms were necessary, but doing it under the guise of bolting the stable door after the horse called Bailout has bolted is cynical.

I especially liked the old guy who said 'any working class person who voted conservative deserves everything they're going to get'.
More to the point, what's the mood among Lib Dem voters like myself? These cuts are going to be very difficult to sell to Lib Dem members and voters. The coalition will probably collapse in a few months and the old guy from the quote will probably see Ed Miliband in No.10 during 2011.

If there are big demonstrations against the cuts, what will the police feel when they are seeing their own jobs under threat and those of firemen too. I see a very 'French' scenario developing.

Points west (Bristol, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire) was mainly focusing on the negatives. We have a lot of places dependant on military spending.

People only really want to know what affects them directly, so I suppose that is why they focus on the negatives.

However, I really don't think people realise how bad things are. I really want someone to come on TV and say "Osbourne has pledged to cut £80bn over 4 years, that is £20bn a year in cuts. The UK's budget deficit currently stands at £149bn, with the cuts this will reduce to £129bn. Once we have continued to cut/raised enough Taxes/started to grow the economy enough that our budget deficit reaches 0, then we can start paying back our £900 billion (nine hundred billion pounds) debt"

People think this is bad and that is only £20bn from the deficit. How bad will things be when we try and clear the remaining £129bn.

I think almost everybody is against the cuts

I am not, I think they are great although they should have been a lot deeper.

...BBC regional are possibly worried in case they are next for cuts....after all the BBC have agreed to absorb a lot of costs on a reduced income .....i.e. frozen licence fee for 6 years..... :rolleyes:

Yeah right.

I hope you guys who are pro-cut realise what a massive economic risk is being undertaken here. I hope for your sake it works, rather than takes us all down.

There are a lot of folk here who have swallowed wholesale the idea that cuts are the only way forward. The newspapers have been drip feeding pro-tory pap for so long that some people on this forum will have inevitably believed it.

Yeah right.

I hope you guys who are pro-cut realise what a massive economic risk is being undertaken here. I hope for your sake it works, rather than takes us all down.

There are a lot of folk here who have swallowed wholesale the idea that cuts are the only way forward. The newspapers have been drip feeding pro-tory pap for so long that some people on this forum will have inevitably believed it.

...the economic risk is to do nothing ....you have listened too closely to Red Ed 'without a plan' Milliband ....don't need to listen to anyone to know it's common sense to cut.....but have the cuts gone far enough...?.... :rolleyes:

Yeah right.

Er, it's just a simple case of adding numbers up (and they still don't). Some people seem to believe in the financial equivalent of a perpetual motion machine.

...the economic risk is to do nothing ....you have listened too closely to Red Ed 'without a plan' Milliband ....don't need to listen to anyone to know it's common sense to cut.....but have the cuts gone far enough...?.... :rolleyes:

No matey - I don't take political steer from anyone - Brown, Milliband, Clegg, Cameron. Yes, cuts are required to some extent - but let's not dress up Osborne as some kind of defender of the righteous.

We've lived through a period of stability - whatever people say - over the last 20 years (yes, including the Major administrations) where life has been relatively 'easy'. It is oh-so-simple to say that cuts are needed, it's all Brown's fault, blah blah blah... but the reality of it may be a really nasty situation. What I'm saying is that glib comments about cuts may come and bite you later when reality kicks in.

Yeah right.

You patronising twerp! Most people on here that are in favour of the cuts would have been before they read "The Sun" or "The Mail" (if in fact they have read those comics).

The first rule of economics is generally accepted, that being increased demand over supply = higher prices/increase supply over demand = lower prices.

Why is that the second rule is so hard for people to grasp - if you continue to spend what you havent got you go bust.

No matey - I don't take political steer from anyone - Brown, Milliband, Clegg, Cameron. Yes, cuts are required to some extent - but let's not dress up Osborne as some kind of defender of the righteous.

We've lived through a period of stability - whatever people say - over the last 20 years (yes, including the Major administrations) where life has been relatively 'easy'. It is oh-so-simple to say that cuts are needed, it's all Brown's fault, blah blah blah... but the reality of it may be a really nasty situation. What I'm saying is that glib comments about cuts may come and bite you later when reality kicks in.

...I am no 'matey'...thanks all the same ... <_<

....if you think living through Gordo's 'la la land' ....built on a bubble of wind was stability ...then you will find it difficult going forward....reality is here ....you don't spend what you don't have ...and if someone has on your behalf you need to recover the situation .....was Brown in attendance today.?..I think not ....just Ed 'with out his plan' Milliband making odd signs, faces and shrill noises..... :rolleyes:

I think almost everybody is against the cuts - even if we recognise they are (like taxes) necessary. The poorer people are being made to pay for the recklessness of the banks and the incompetence of Gordon Brown. Benefit reforms were necessary, but doing it under the guise of bolting the stable door after the horse called Bailout has bolted is cynical.

More to the point, what's the mood among Lib Dem voters like myself? These cuts are going to be very difficult to sell to Lib Dem members and voters. The coalition will probably collapse in a few months and the old guy from the quote will probably see Ed Miliband in No.10 during 2011.

If there are big demonstrations against the cuts, what will the police feel when they are seeing their own jobs under threat and those of firemen too. I see a very 'French' scenario developing.

Really? I speak to alot of Brits in debt, and they've always been calm and accepting. Screwed on the way up, screwed on the way down. Can't see them speaking out.

The "cuts" will throw alot of welfare queens from one subsidised lifestyle to another. Maybe a few pistol shots in the air, but subsidies will ensure that revolution doesn't happen.

Viewed historically these cuts or to be more accurate adjustments are only a return to normal levels of Govt spending and will at the end of parliamentbe higher than at the start, we have a structural deficeit whereby we are spending more than we get in , I have lifted the following from the reform website:-

We need to change direction

Another important point to remember is that we've been spending too much for a long time now. Even if we return to normal growth levels, the government will still be spending much more than it gets in taxes.

This is what's known as the structural deficit. The basic problem is that the Labour government used the huge tax take from the badly-regulated financial sector as a cash cow to fund expansion of the public sector. They took the financial sector's super-charged, excessive profits to be perfectly normal, rather than the result of a once-in-a-generation credit bubble.

As the think tank Reform puts it in its own report on the emergency Budget: "It is wrong to say that the deterioration in the public finances was solely, or even largely, due to the global financial crisis. The most important cause was poor government policy in the UK since the turn of the century.

"The first decade of this century saw an unsustainable increase in public spending, short-sighted and ad hoc tax policy and high levels of government and household debt. These problems were compounded by the spectacular failures in the co-ordination of regulatory, fiscal and monetary policy."

Fact is all the unfortunates should be directing their anger at the party who presided over the credit fest, if your low paid neighbour went on 4 holidays a year bought a BMW on credit you wouldnt be surprised to see the baliffs, why is it so hard to see this at a national level ?

In complete agreement. [Look North]

As is everyone in my Family, as I have asked them if they noticed it as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 11th October, they had a long article about the fact that some councils in Towns in the North are considering turning off streetlights earlier to save money.

Reporter suggested this could cause an increase in crime.

Pan to the only politician/local councillor they interviewed, a Labour bloke, who was stood under a dead streetlight, saying it was penny pinching Tory Cuts.

No alternative point of view offered whatsoever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noticed that kind of Labour biased reporting on Look North a few times since then as well.

Here in Thailand on BBC World Service, they were showing dishevelled families of 10 from the 1930s and using this as a comparison to yesterdays cuts.

They were saying the public sector cuts are the biggest since the 30s, but arent i right in thinking the cuts after WW2 were greater?

BBC Channel Islands news informed me on Wednesday night that persons not born on the islands now `only` have to wait 10 years, reduced from 11, for the right to

be allowed to buy a house on Jersey -

so property VI`s really do run the (this) country ?

The rabid pro-cutters on here are merely 'sheeple' who swallow anything that the gutter press serves out to them.

The complete and utter nonsense that they spout can only be treated with contempt.

On the 11th October, they had a long article about the fact that some councils in Towns in the North are considering turning off streetlights earlier to save money.

Reporter suggested this could cause an increase in crime.

Turning off street lights is, basically, pretty pointless. The electricity has to be used anyway so Councils get it very cheaply at night and it costs *tiny* amounts in the grand scheme of things (you'll be paying around under £1 per year per person to cover street lighting from your entire years worth of Council Tax).

Crime doesn't increase in badly lit areas, nor does it suddenly rocket the minute lights get switched off. There has been loads of independent study on this. Street lights light the highway, which is what they're for, and they make people "feel" safer when they're on.

I'm going to do a labour party thing here and speak for the whole country. It's the opposite, everybody wants the cuts however only the public sector and the union people have a voice in the media. Also what is this about poorer people, I have no problem with people who don't want to work paid less benefits and every other working person feels the same. How the hell are we going to get people into work when it is too damn cozy being out of work, every working person thinks this but again only the public sector has a voice in the media. Its funny because the deficit is still going to be rising so the cuts aren't actually as bad as they should be.

Public sector and unions may you burn in hell along with gordon brown, the labour party, the bbc and the b(w)ankers.

The rabid pro-cutters on here are merely 'sheeple' who swallow anything that the gutter press serves out to them.

The complete and utter nonsense that they spout can only be treated with contempt.

There's no point throwing your toys out of the pram.

:)

Turning off street lights is, basically, pretty pointless. The electricity has to be used anyway so Councils get it very cheaply at night and it costs *tiny* amounts in the grand scheme of things (you'll be paying around under £1 per year per person to cover street lighting from your entire years worth of Council Tax).

Crime doesn't increase in badly lit areas, nor does it suddenly rocket the minute lights get switched off. There has been loads of independent study on this. Street lights light the highway, which is what they're for, and they make people "feel" safer when they're on.

Personally I'd feel happier if they were off if there's no good need for them. The over-lighting is depressing. Must think of a way of building a giant battery other than pumped storage.

They make people safer too. People who can see don't walk into things as often. ;)