House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Manpower: Massive Jobs Cuts Will Be Good For Jobs

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/austerity-may-boost-jobs-manpower-ceo-reuters_molt-c7f0782cd963.html?x=0

Austerity may boost jobs - Manpower CEO
Nick "Nikkleass" Zieminski, 19:26, Wednesday 20 October 2010
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Austerity measures introduced by the UK government on Wednesday may boost jobs growth even as they reduce civil service employment, the chief executive of global staffing company Manpower Inc said on Wednesday.
Economic growth may moderate as a result of the measures, but their benefits will quickly become apparent, Manpower CEO Jeff Joerres said.
"You're creating jobs in a different way by being able to create certainty for companies that they're not going to continue to be taxed to pay for public programs," Joerres said in an interview.

:lol::lol::lol: pauses to catch breath :lol::lol:

It works both ways. I can see that now. You have 35 CEOs of the UKs top private/plc companies (M&S, GSK, Tullow Oil etc) writing to the Telegraph supporting the austerity measures. They now have a larger pool of workers, driving down wages.

All, more less motivated to work in an competitive environment, and with big mortgages to pay.

Edited by Money Spinner

I worked for 35 years and I only wised up a few months ago, I'm on Benefits now and my only regret is that I didn''t go on the Dole 30 years ago.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/austerity-may-boost-jobs-manpower-ceo-reuters_molt-c7f0782cd963.html?x=0

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Austerity measures introduced by the UK government on Wednesday may boost jobs growth even as they reduce civil service employment, the chief executive of global staffing company Manpower Inc said on Wednesday.
Economic growth may moderate as a result of the measures, but their benefits will quickly become apparent, Manpower CEO Jeff Joerres said.
"You're creating jobs in a different way by being able to create certainty for companies that they're not going to continue to be taxed to pay for public programs," Joerres said in an interview.

I actually agree with those comments.

I am only a small business person but a big reason whilst I have not expanded my business in the past 5 years is myself thinking "Why the heck should I invest my time, money, etc, only to be taxed to the hilt and see it spend on stupid public sector jobs which are of no benefit?".

I know many business people who feel the same way.

Makes sense. The productive economy - including real jobs - has long been stifled by perverse incentives and red tape. 'Austerity' looks like a major improvement to the first (and most important) of those.

I don't know why you're laughing bear. It's obviously correct that abolishing wealth destroying non-jobs will be, in the long term, very good for job creation.

All the numpties who think that stealing money to pay people to do nothing is economic activity need therapy.

I don't know why you're laughing bear. It's obviously correct that abolishing wealth destroying non-jobs will be, in the long term, very good for job creation.

All the numpties who think that stealing money to pay people to do nothing is economic activity need therapy.

+1

Plus all that money that the Govt does not have to borrow will be invested in the private wealth creating sector.

Our banks are bust if they have 100 units to lend and the govt takes 80 that leaves 20 for the private sector. If the govt takes 60 leaving 40 for the privbate sector that is a 25% cut for govt borrowing but a 100% increase in lending to the private sector.

Very simplistic I know but it makes the point.

I am only a small business person but a big reason whilst I have not expanded my business in the past 5 years is myself thinking "Why the heck should I invest my time, money, etc, only to be taxed to the hilt and see it spend on stupid public sector jobs which are of no benefit?".
There are plenty of small businesses that are of no benefit to society too. For instance, is a tuning firm that makes noisy performance exhausts for boy racers to fit to their Vauxhall Corsas and Subaru Imprezzas doing anything to benefit society? Is a small business that runs corporate hospitality events for the banking sector benefitting society in any way?
Plus all that money that the Govt does not have to borrow will be invested in the private wealth creating sector.
The private sector does create wealth but it also loses it - like the property sector and banking sector have done in recent years. A self-employed builder sitting at home waiting for his Ford Transit to be repossessed isn't exactly creating wealth, is he? Edited by blankster

There are plenty of small businesses that are of no benefit to society too. For instance, is a tuning firm that makes noisy performance exhausts for boy racers to fit to their Vauxhall Corsas and Subaru Imprezzas doing anything to benefit society? Is a small business that runs corporate hospitality events for the banking sector benefitting society in any way?

I'm going to exclude anything to do with banks because their spending is based on fraud.

For the tuning firm, absolutely yes; the proof comes in that people are prepared to swap earned money for their services.

I'm going to exclude anything to do with banks because their spending is based on fraud.

For the tuning firm, absolutely yes; the proof comes in that people are prepared to swap earned money for their services.

Nice response.

But it's on no benefit to society if all you're doing is helping people to make their cars noisier!

The private sector does create wealth but it also loses it - like the property sector and banking sector have done in recent years. A self-employed builder sitting at home waiting for his Ford Transit to be repossessed isn't exactly creating wealth, is he?

You miss the point completely - those firms making those ruddy noisy exhausts have no choice when the taxman comes along, taxes them to the eyeballs for their hard work and then puts most of that money in some wacky public sector job counting road signs or putting up more road signs or into the public sector pensions.

Don't most big business's like manpower 'avoid' taxes anyway?

I can see the case for SME's- less tax should equal more jobs, assuming the money isn't invested in more automation or outsourcing.

But jobs are not the endpoint anyway- it's wages that create demand and thus economic growth- and it's hard to see how a lot more labour dumped on the market will increase wage levels. If those 500,000 lose high paid roles and wind up flipping burgers the impact on demand will be negative, not positive.

Is anyone sure that a reduced public sector size, will ease the tax on small businesses? :blink:

But it's on no benefit to society if all you're doing is helping people to make their cars noisier!

It's a benefit because people want to pay money for them.

Hint: Nobody died and left you in charge of what it best for people, they choose it themselves with their money.

Who gets to decide that? You?

People spend money on what they want, not you want. Unless you want a country where you stand in line for your daily allocation USSR style, thats how it works.

Can't disagree with your observation about the long term. 20 years long term IMO.

"You're creating jobs in a different way by being able to create certainty for companies that they're not going to continue to be taxed to pay for public programs," Joerres said in an interview.[/indent]

Joerres missed page 13 of Spending Review 2010 :lol:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_191696.pdf

Mandatory Carbon Reduction Commitment tax now goes straight to the Treasury coffers but firms still need to recover it from consumers/customers.