House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sharpe

Rental Contract Review

I am expecting a rental contract for a new place in the next week. A bit more nervous now as it is for a year and we have a little one so I do not want to get kicked out at short notice

I will read the contract, but was thinking of getting it read by a lawyer. Can anyone recommend someone decent and reasonably priced?

Thanks

See if your local council has a private tenants service. They may be able to look at it or recommend a lawyer close to you.

Also look at your various insurance policies and see if you have one that covers legal help. My home contents one does and I was able to access lawyers through this. I could fax AST's off to them for advice for free.

Edited by Flopsy

The best advice to anyone taking any sort of tenancy has to be to take legal advice. That is though a counsel of perfection. What you can do is to weigh up the value of the transaction by working out what the rent is for the whole term and adding to it the deposit and all expenses and comparing that with what a lawyer will charge. You can then decide if the "insurance" you will get from legal advice is worth it.

Whilst it is true that many agreements are standard, some of them are pretty woeful. In particular the bits that agents add in, like break clauses and notice provisions, can be dire in the extreme. Obviously a tenant is better off with a tightly drawn up agreement, just as if you are insuring you are better off with a policy that is not subject to hundreds of exclusions. Indeed, any legal document is a bit like an insurance policy - you may only find out how good it is if you have a problem.

http://www.tenantdocs.co.uk/RlaAst2004Free.pdf

I have had a quick look at this document. I would grade it as "just about adequate and not entirely satisfactory."

I have read the contract. The deposit is held in a fund on which interest is then paid to us at the end; which is an improvement on anything I have had before. It seemed reasonable, so will probably take it.

As you say it might not be worth a lawyers review for a one year contract. Thanks for the pointers.

I have read the contract. The deposit is held in a fund on which interest is then paid to us at the end; which is an improvement on anything I have had before. It seemed reasonable, so will probably take it.

As you say it might not be worth a lawyers review for a one year contract. Thanks for the pointers.

i doubt the interest part, the deposit has to be held in an approved scheme and THEY take the interest.

that contract was 2004 and out of date.

i doubt the interest part, the deposit has to be held in an approved scheme and THEY take the interest.

that contract was 2004 and out of date.

it does state the interest belongs to the tenant and the estate agent have to provide evidence that the deposit is held in an account. I am also surprised although this is apparently the norm in Germany.