House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Petrol To Skyrocket--Something To Do With French Rats

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/20102010/36/record-uk-fuel-prices-imminent-0.html

Record UK fuel prices imminent

Petrol prices could hit a record 124p per litre in the coming weeks, the RAC has warned. The record average price in the UK is currently 121.6p per litre, which happened in May 2010.
With the UK average currently at 118p per litre, and up to 121p in London, we're already hovering dangerously close to the record. October's 1p per litre fuel duty rise plus a recent sharp increase in oil prices have been blamed for the current high.
Sadly, the only way is up for prices over the coming weeks.
The situation has been exacerbated by a blockade of French oil refineries in protest against changes to the country's pension law
. The knock-on effect is an increase in European wholesale prices as France is forced to import extra fuel.
The UK is about to see a further fuel duty rise - 0.76p per litre on January 1 - as well as the planned VAT increase, from 17.5- to 20 percent. Increased demand for oil during the cold winter months could push prices up even more.

Rats in France, locusts in Oz....whatevAH! :angry:

You'll have to trade in the Bentley for something more economical RB. Me and Mrs Peel knock around in a little Citroen DS3 now.

Edited by Sir John Steed

I should have added. I can't see that much downward pressure on fuel prices, so it will be likely they will go up.

Its like trying to keep a cork underwater.

And the roads are as crowded as ever.

Why do you think the Govt constantly target motorists with the fuel escalator?

The last thing they will do is give up the car.

Govts have been sucking money out of the general economy to fund the fuel fraud for over a decade causing us to lose jobs (thru people not spending as much cash on other stuff in the shops) and pushing up prices to shift everything.

Again it whacks the middle classes and poorest who the elites are determined to destroy to the lowest common denominator!

It costs more to transport a container on a lorry from Felixstowe to a Midlands depot than it does to bring it from Taiwan/Shanghai!

Edited by erranta

The Daily Express are already writing the headline "Hurray! Prices to rise!" :rolleyes:

I am really glad. I knew prices only ever go up, so I sold my 50 Litre tank full of petrol and made £1.25, then I went a bought a larger 60 Litre tank full, since I've got kids and wanted it, as well as DW (Dear Wife?) nagging me to do it. Anyway, I am happy now as I see it as an investment.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/20102010/36/record-uk-fuel-prices-imminent-0.html

Record UK fuel prices imminent

Petrol prices could hit a record 124p per litre in the coming weeks, the RAC has warned. The record average price in the UK is currently 121.6p per litre, which happened in May 2010.
With the UK average currently at 118p per litre, and up to 121p in London, we're already hovering dangerously close to the record. October's 1p per litre fuel duty rise plus a recent sharp increase in oil prices have been blamed for the current high.
Sadly, the only way is up for prices over the coming weeks.
The situation has been exacerbated by a blockade of French oil refineries in protest against changes to the country's pension law
. The knock-on effect is an increase in European wholesale prices as France is forced to import extra fuel.
The UK is about to see a further fuel duty rise - 0.76p per litre on January 1 - as well as the planned VAT increase, from 17.5- to 20 percent. Increased demand for oil during the cold winter months could push prices up even more.

Vive La France! Stand up to the New World Order.

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1287600011' post='2754635]

High prices will get the poor off the roads :lol:

As well as increasing the cost of everything that requires fuel in its manufacture or distribution.

I am really glad. I knew prices only ever go up, so I sold my 50 Litre tank full of petrol and made £1.25, then I went a bought a larger 60 Litre tank full, since I've got kids and wanted it, as well as DW (Dear Wife?) nagging me to do it. Anyway, I am happy now as I see it as an investment.

Why don't you get a loan secured on that new big tank of petrol, then you can go and buy several more and rent those tanks out to other motorists? You can then charge them more for using the fuel than it costs you plus the interest on your loan. You could call it Buy To (un)Leaded. When your petrol goes up more in price, then you can extract the equity from those tanks and use them to buy more tanks of fuel with a bigger loan. What could possibly go wrong? (Apart from a carelessly dropped match).

Why do you think the Govt constantly target motorists with the fuel escalator?

The last thing they will do is give up the car.

You've just answered your own question.

For most individuals and businesses, the majority of motoring costs are non discretionary. In other words, either car use is essential, or the alternatives cost even more. At current prices, I pay around £110 a month on petrol. To commute by train would cost £170 (season ticket) and take twice as long. Discretionary mileage (i.e. for leisure purposes and which I could elect not to do) accounts for around 2k miles of the 12-13k or so per year that I drive.

It costs more to transport a container on a lorry from Felixstowe to a Midlands depot than it does to bring it from Taiwan/Shanghai!

The chances are that the container contains stuff that is essential for somebody - basic foodstuffs or raw materials for a factory, for example.

Again, most people have to absorb rises in the cost of road fuel, either by borrowing or cutting back spending in other areas. However, it may be that the government is shooting itself in the foot by not doing anything to limit the rises (e.g. by abandoning January's duty increases), because with less money being borrowed, more discretionary spending - which itself is taxed - will be cut back. In anticipation of the NI rise and no pay rise next year, I'm already reducing the amount I drink and have postponed replacing my computer (which I normally do every 3-4 years) for at least another year. The deferred computer purchase is around £100-150 in VAT that the government will lose next month, straight away. By reducing other areas of discretionary spending, I'm pretty confident that I can keep my next year's total tax payments down to around this year's. If the population as a whole does likewise, that's not very good news for the 'recovery'.

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1287600011' post='2754635]

High prices will get the poor off the roads :lol:

Whenever anybody posts something like this, you just *know* that they haven't got a pot to piss in.

Troll Fail, sorry.

Why has no one noticed that oil is priced in USD and even though the GBP has strengthened petrol prices continue to rise?

I remember the fuss at £1 a litre, have we accepted being screwed as inevitable and completely given up now?

Why has no one noticed that oil is priced in USD and even though the GBP has strengthened petrol prices continue to rise?

I remember the fuss at £1 a litre, have we accepted being screwed as inevitable and completely given up now?

Fuel will apparently be 6p a litre more expensive in 2 months time, and even if one does not own a car, the articulated lorry which delivers product to Tesco or Argos (*insert name of other retailer here*) at 8mpg will cost significantly more to operate and this cost will be passed on at the till, as ever.

Still, the brain-dead plebs who make up the majority of HPC members these days can't grasp this.

Fuel will apparently be 6p a litre more expensive in 2 months time, and even if one does not own a car, the articulated lorry which delivers product to Tesco or Argos (*insert name of other retailer here*) at 8mpg will cost significantly more to operate and this cost will be passed on at the till, as ever.

Still, the brain-dead plebs who make up the majority of HPC members these days can't grasp this.

I cant see the USD being anything but down after the mid terms so a 6p rise seems illogical but this being the uk it isn't wholly unexpected.

I wonder when hauliers will start going bust again.