House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

It's The Voters That Won It..

This is the Poll Tax moment. Picking on the age group most likely to take to the streets is a major miscalculation.

It's not a poll tax moment if people don't vote. The politicians don't have to be afraid of anyone coming out on the streets. 1M of so went out on the streets saying no to the war in iraq.

What frightens them is when voters get angry.

It's clear the single under 35s are being pooped on by having their LHA reduced. But not the wealthy who'll keep their two incomes and CB.

So is it them who votes?

I think so.

The under 35s are more likely to dial a premium rate XfactorDanceA-thon-a-vote than actually vote in an election.

Why should the politicians fear people who can't be bothered turning out to vote?

Research conducted for our new charity Age UK by De Montfort University reveals the over-55s will account for the majority of votes cast in 319 constituencies across Britain. Politicians cannot afford to ignore these numbers and our election campaign is urging older people to use their vote and ensure candidates engage with issues which are important to them.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-news/archive/older-voters-could-decide-the-election-says-age-uk/

Edited by SarahBell

It's not a poll tax moment if people don't vote. The politicians don't have to be afraid of anyone coming out on the streets. 1M of so went out on the streets saying no to the war in iraq.

What frightens them is when voters get angry.

It's clear the single under 35s are being pooped on by having their LHA reduced. But not the wealthy who'll keep their two incomes and CB.

So is it them who votes?

I think so.

The under 35s are more likely to dial a premium rate XfactorDanceA-thon-a-vote than actually vote in an election.

Why should the politicians fear people who can't be bothered turning out to vote?

Who exactly do you suggest these under 35's vote for?

There is no one who can help them.

Who exactly do you suggest these under 35's vote for?

There is no one who can help them.

Well that's one problem ... but I think unless it's got glitter and a leotard or is dating a footballer there's probably not a lot of point.

There's a lot of sheeple out there who'll accept their lot and get on with their life being as is.

The oldies did well out of today.

Free bus passes, TV licenses, winter fuel payments, pensions increased above inflation.

It's an inherently fair and sensible principle that universal benefits should be cancelled - i.e. none of this stuff for the well off elderly who are sitting in large houses worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The oldies did well out of today.

Free bus passes, TV licenses, winter fuel payments, pensions increased above inflation.

It's an inherently fair and sensible principle that universal benefits should be cancelled - i.e. none of this stuff for the well off elderly who are sitting in large houses worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

But they will get up and walk to the voting booth with their zimmer frames...

The young are increasingly A-political compared to generations past. Honestly if the news came on that Britain was now a dictatorship, the vast majority of young could not care less. Probably flip the channel to watch football, or see what drama their favorite celeb is into. That is the ones that watch tv.. then there is video games, facebook, getting smashed several times a week, drugs, etc..

I tend to agree with the outlook of the young. Democracy gives the illusion of choice, but if you look around the world all the democracies are heading the same direction and have the same issues. If deep down you believe you can't change anything, why spend any energy being involved?

Oh do grow up; free bus rides for old ladies is neither here nor there. You seriously want Cameron to make old ladies unable to get to the shops his defining moment?

Some people on here do make me laugh.

There is no mainstream party which represents my interests. At one point the Labour Party did, but the last administration was more hostile to working class people than any other I have ever known and have relentlessly forced wages and conditions downwards through immigration.

The best thing we could do for the whole of our economy- including reduction of house prices- is enforced repatriation.

Oh do grow up; free bus rides for old ladies is neither here nor there. You seriously want Cameron to make old ladies unable to get to the shops his defining moment?

It costs the department of transport £1 billion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10657515

And that doesn't cover all of it, the councils have to chip in as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/04/free-bus-pass-scheme-councils

We're in it together, unless you're rich and over 60... :lol:

It would be funny if that's the same bunch who are likely to have benefited disproportionately from HPI and already had their years of child benefit.... well bugger me... it is! <_<

I'm not saying abolish it, but means test it. Anyone over 60 and already in receipt of another benefit that suggests low income (like income support) could get it and the rest can pay like everyone else.

There is no mainstream party which represents my interests.

The best thing we could do for the whole of our economy- including reduction of house prices- is enforced repatriation.

So BNP then.

If you want to be emotive about it, that billion pounds for the old ladies bus fares could be keeping hundreds of devoted fathers in their jobs, families in their homes, scientists searching for cures for cancer etc etc.

Agreed, it was never going to happen, but the point is, why give handouts to people when they don't need them when there are plenty of others that do?

Politics features in the answer somewhere.

Edited by Kyoto

Then limit the free bus pass to local region only or a certain value and then the oaps top it up.

The young are increasingly A-political compared to generations past. Honestly if the news came on that Britain was now a dictatorship, the vast majority of young could not care less. Probably flip the channel to watch football, or see what drama their favorite celeb is into. That is the ones that watch tv.. then there is video games, facebook, getting smashed several times a week, drugs, etc..

I tend to agree with the outlook of the young. Democracy gives the illusion of choice, but if you look around the world all the democracies are heading the same direction and have the same issues. If deep down you believe you can't change anything, why spend any energy being involved?

Being in my 20's personally I would love to protest at this disgusting situation at the moment; which has pretty much destroyed any hope of my generation's life being anywhere near to the standard of those boomers before. But unfortunently, my generation have been brainwashed from the first day they went to the school; smoothered under a blanket of political correctness. So unless it involves gay rights or supporting immigrant communties the chances of there being any mass protests against the raping of the young are close to nil.

Edited by chris25

So BNP then.

No, because their thesis is based on ideas of racial superiority, and that's not where I am coming from, and something I do not agree with. To oppose immigration is not something borne of hatred, but of economics. Not the economics of the wealthy of course, who welcome cheaper labour, but the economics of somebody who is adversely affected by this.

After having yet another ***ing wheelie bin and a stupid thing to put food waste into today (slung into the back of the garage where it'll be forgotten) (what next, separate bins for every bloody item?) I'm almost prepared to vote for anyone, no matter how vile, no matter how economically incompetent, who'll force councils to get back to doing a proper job emptying the bins, about the only useful service you get for your council tax. If extra landfill is needed there's plenty of space between the ears of the morons who come up with ideas like this.

No, because their thesis is based on ideas of racial superiority, and that's not where I am coming from, and something I do not agree with. To oppose immigration is not something borne of hatred, but of economics. Not the economics of the wealthy of course, who welcome cheaper labour, but the economics of somebody who is adversely affected by this.

I think the modern BNP is not based on hatred of other races. Its more similiar to the Asian political mainstream seen in South Korea for example. Those nations are against immigration, and for protecting indigineous culture. But I never get the feeling that people or the government in South Korea feel any hatred for other races or nationalities.

Vote Labour, they put the boot into the post-1975 generation. Vote Tory/Lib Dem, they put the boot into the post-1975 generation. Even if every person aged 18-35 turned out to vote at every single election, we just don't have the numbers to compete with everybody else voting themselves our money (via the national debt). Our generation is 18 years wide, the pre-1975 generations are about 40 years wide. There are over twice as many of you, so how can we compete with that at the ballot box? The game will end when the money runs out.

Edited by Dorkins

All I want is a Britain in which my children can do well.

Labour with their mass immigration of both white and black have destroyed that, overpopulated the country, caused a housing shortage, school shortage, medical shortage, road structure shortage and all that Red Ed can offer is more of the same.

Pathetic.

I don't want my OAP bus pass, I want a NHS dentist.

I don't want endless form filling, I want a cop patrolling my district 24/24

I don't want shop assistants with limited english, I want them to understand me.

I want the local pub to re-open, even if it means that they have a smoke room. The Victorians had smoking rooms in their pubs, why can't we? (The Loony pinko left say they are protecting our health, did anyone actually ask them to do this?)

Then limit the free bus pass to local region only or a certain value and then the oaps top it up.

I'd agree with that.

And I don't believe it costs £1bn. My old Mum goes all over the place on the bus with her ticket, but she would hardly use the things if she didn't have it, same as all the other old girls. They call them the "twerlies" round there because they're always telling the driver he's "too early" because the free pass only kicks in at 9.30, so they're riding empty buses too.

I think the modern BNP is not based on hatred of other races. Its more similiar to the Asian political mainstream seen in South Korea for example. Those nations are against immigration, and for protecting indigineous culture. But I never get the feeling that people or the government in South Korea feel any hatred for other races or nationalities.

Oh my God. Are you serious?

After having yet another ***ing wheelie bin and a stupid thing to put food waste into today (slung into the back of the garage where it'll be forgotten) (what next, separate bins for every bloody item?) I'm almost prepared to vote for anyone, no matter how vile, no matter how economically incompetent, who'll force councils to get back to doing a proper job emptying the bins, about the only useful service you get for your council tax. If extra landfill is needed there's plenty of space between the ears of the morons who come up with ideas like this.

Or you might find that putting all your food waste into a plastic container means that the local cats and foxes stop tearing open rubbish bags and spreading it all over the street.