House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

8,000 To Go At Defra

That blonde girlie journalist on BBC News in Parliament Square just mentioned, seemingly in passing, that they are hearing that 8,000 jobs will go at DEFRA.

It is only people's jobs after all.

I think the BBC, if they are aware of this, should annouce this in a more formal way - I guess that DEFRA workers watching the BBC right now just pricked up their ears.

That blonde girlie journalist on BBC News in Parliament Square just mentioned, seemingly in passing, that they are hearing that 8,000 jobs will go at DEFRA.

I think the BBC, if they are aware of this, should annouce this in a more formal way - I guess that DEFRA workers watching the BBC right now just pricked up their ears.

Doubt we will notice their absence.

No one gave a ****** when BA wanted to cut 1 in 15 cabin crew - why should we care when they want to cut 1 in 100 state parasites?

No one gave a ****** when BA wanted to cut 1 in 15 cabin crew - why should we care when they want to cut 1 in 100 state parasites?

....Labour care ...they want the waste to continue ..... :rolleyes:

Will they be moving to FUBRA as Mods, it will be interesting having 8,000 dalek loving Absolute Zeros here to restore some left right balance

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Will they be moving to FUBRA as Mods, it will be interesting having 8,000 dalek loving Absolute Zeros here to restore some left right balance

sheeeeet - it's been boom-time this last decade for people with middling degrees in env. sci. - the middling ones who always avoided the maths or chemistry, got (ultimately well paid) jobs in a policy related area in councils or DEFRA. What will they do now - it will be like an army of professional wafflers and box-tickers being freed on the populace...

....Labour care ...they want the waste to continue ..... :rolleyes:

why do you put that annoying smilie on the end of everyone of your posts? what does it mean?

Edited by headrow

I wonder what those 8000 people do, at the farming agency? :huh:

Go on, be brave. Put your name and address to that post and display it at your local NHS Hospital (while you have one), your kids' school (while they have one) and attach it to your Tax Return. Mr Camoron is keen on transparency.

The Inland Waterways are being hived off into a charity. Are their staff part of the number, and how many?

Not much honesty in the Cuts.

The Inland Waterways are being hived off into a charity. Are their staff part of the number, and how many?

Not much honesty in the Cuts.

I think they asked to become a trust and it's going ahead, you can raise money and keep assets in that form.

I had to look up what Defra was / is. Another waste of my money.

Same here.. we never even knew they existed, so if the news hadn't told us would not know they left.

I'm sure in their work it involved a lot of air travel to meetings, performance evaluations, targets, consultants and so on.

I had to look up what Defra was / is. Another waste of my money.

Snap. I thought it was a defence agency but then realised I was getting mixed up with DEFCON.

Snap. I thought it was a defence agency but then realised I was getting mixed up with DEFCON.

I attribute your ignorance to urban myopia. Bet you have never dagged a sheep. I have and prefered it to working in a bank. Cleaner work.

I only know who they are through Private Eye, where they regularly feature for all the wrong reasons. They sound like a bunch of semi-criminal charlatans who are responsible for wreaking havoc with our rural economy.

Same here.. we never even knew they existed, so if the news hadn't told us would not know they left.

I'm sure in their work it involved a lot of air travel to meetings, performance evaluations, targets, consultants and so on.

Defra is a waste of space ever since it was formed in the aftermath of yet another NuLabour debacle that was the Foot and Mouth diasaster. Rebranding the Ministry of Agriculture was their solution of shunting the blame elsewhere.

I was kind of hoping that the Tories would get rid of it and restore it to the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and get rid of all the environment ******** elsewhere. Still I am sure there is time. A secure source of safe and reliable food (whether UK produced or imported) is going to be increasingly important in the future.

Nearly took a job a Defra a few years ago but was advised against it due to my sense of practicality and real world knowledge of farming which I am told would be wasted in a department staffed mostly of morons who would not know a sheep if it punted them up the backsides.

Edited by lulu

I attribute your ignorance to urban myopia. Bet you have never dagged a sheep. I have and prefered it to working in a bank. Cleaner work.

'Dagged a sheep'? Is that rhyming slang?

Civil servants at Newcastle's Rural Payments Agency (RPA) went out on a bender last night to celebrate their notoriety after the local paper revealed staff were caught on office CCTV leaping naked from filing cabinets.

Staff were pleased their antics made the front page of local newspaper The Evening Chronicle. Team members and managers from the DEFRA agency, which is in charge of paying out farmers' subsidies, were seen in the Toon enjoying a night of booze-fueled madness, The Register can reveal.

The RPA said yesterday one individual had been dismissed and investigations are ongoing following the allegations. As well as bare-back Parkour, staff are accused of play-fighting, conducting break dance-offs, sex and drug taking in toilets, and of a bizarre craze for hiding vomit-filled cups to be discovered only by their stench.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/13/newcastle_civil_servants/

The RPA is a department within DEFRA.

'Dagged a sheep'? Is that rhyming slang?

Sheep poo collects in hard balls caught in the wool under the tail of the sheep. These are dags.

Dags make the sheep prone to fly strike, which leads to maggots eating into the flesh of the living animal.

Dagging is cutting off this contaminated wool.

'Clacking your dags' is antipodean slang for getting a move on.

DEFRA staff would know all this. They do a good job in ensuring animal welfare and good husbandry.

Sheep have no vote.

DEFRA staff would know all this. They do a good job in ensuring animal welfare and good husbandry.

The average Most DEFRA employees would not know one end of a sheep from the other,...................... even if it had horns. Tºssers.