House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bogbrush

Licence Fee Frozen For 6 Years, Plus Takes On Other Costs

Clear sign of intention to bring everything back into line by allowing prices to rise, the pound to plummet and everything that has a too-high bubble valuation (like BBC salaries) stagnate until the appropriate value is reached.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11572171

The BBC will also take over the cost of the World Service, currently funded by the Foreign Office,

Does that mean we can expect it to stop being propaganda and start being quality news presenting the best of quality British broadcasting?

.. or not?

The only miracle is how this unfair poll tax has been allowed to carry on for so long. I mean a tax to watch television? Only in this country. It was bad enough in the 80s when you had no choice in TV but with the advent of multi-hundred TV channels and competition from the Internet it's becomming harder and harder to justify.

...any further increases would lead to more people not paying the fee and thus less revenue.

The rotten programs led me to give up watching TV.

There are just so many other media outlets, that TV is losing viewers!

It's a reasonable compromise, I guess: reduce the amount of money the loony lefties have to spread their propaganda in real terms, while doing it in a way that is almost impossible for them to make a credible argument against (everyone has to tighten their belts, it wouldn't be 'fair' to hike the licence as well as other taxes, why not sack some overpaid stars and execs, etc. etc. Personally I'd have preferred them to just privatise the fookers and have done with it, but presumably they're scared of p!ssing off the Lib Dems.

I didn't realise that the BBC still receives money from taxpayers to pay for the 'free' TV licences for over 75s.

Edit: And I love the way the BBC refers to this - "There had been a proposal to make the BBC pay the cost of free TV licences for the over-75s, but it is understood this will now not happen."

Edited by thecrashingisles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11572171

Personally I think that's no big deal to manage; had they had to make nominal savings that would have been a challenge but to just keep costs steady over time is nothing. Won't stop it being presented by them as Armageddon though.

They must be betting on deflation as, that way, it will be a real increase every year. They'll get you either way.

The only miracle is how this unfair poll tax has been allowed to carry on for so long. I mean a tax to watch television? Only in this country. It was bad enough in the 80s when you had no choice in TV but with the advent of multi-hundred TV channels and competition from the Internet it's becomming harder and harder to justify.

And several others. I had to pay some in France at any rate, it's just collected differently (I think it was part of the local taxes).

I don't see what difference a greater pile of dross from elsewhere makes.

The Tories would be doing this country a massive favour if they cut the BBC's propaganda fund. At the very least they could hand half of the licence fee over to a right wing news channel to ensure that we have a bit of balance.

The BBC should have a system where talent is paid on a low flat scale, like the Royal Shakespere Company does.

If the big names want to leave let them, and see how many supermarkets they get to open and how many books they sell when their show has a quarter of the production budget and airs on Sky 7.

The TV Licence is ridiculously antiquated. There is really no reason to watch any live TV with torrents and repeats available of anything worth watching / news available online.

It is only a matter of time before people realise that it can’t be enforced, is based on threats that have no way of being enforced if you are remotely au fait with the law.

A new way will have to be thought up to fund the BBC in the next 10 years.

The only miracle is how this unfair poll tax has been allowed to carry on for so long. I mean a tax to watch television? Only in this country.

Actually, about 90% of developed countries have this system

tim

I didn't realise that the BBC still receives money from taxpayers to pay for the 'free' TV licences for over 75s.

What's more amazing is that it's almost one sixth of the corporation's total license fee income.

How is this possible?

tim