House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Public Service Cuts Cast Shadow Over Swansea

You know what, if I don't see house prices as the result of this I am flipping moving...

On a windswept hill above the city it's clear to see just how completely the public sector dominates Swansea.

Forty thousand people in the city are employed in the public sector, working at the DVLA, Revenue and Customs, the Department for Work and Pensions, the city's universities, hospitals, schools and colleges.

The tower blocks shape the Swansea skyline. The coming cuts have cast a long shadow over this city by the sea.

"There's a real fear, everyone knows someone who works in the public sector and when the cuts come they're going to be deep," explains Roger Langley from the Public and Commercial Services union.

"Behind us is Morriston and the DVLA, that employs 4,500. We've got Swansea University, Singleton Hospital, County Hall, over to the Enterprise Park we've got the Land Registry that employs more than 450 staff. The DWP has got more than 600 staff, and, with the local authority, it's a big area of public sector workers.

Continue reading the main story

"We don't know where the cuts are going to come, they're going to be across all departments."

Are people in this city frightened? I asked him.

The answer: "Yes, I think there is fear there."

More at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-11565258

There are already problems at DVLA, I am a member of TruckNet http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php and truck drivers are reporting that licence renewals are taking six weeks now, last year it took a week (we have to renew our driving licences periodically)

The general advice given is to carry on doing the job, even if you haven't had your licence back. Being in the front line of the economy, we have more pressing problems at the mo, and we aren't going to stop earning a wage simply because the Government have screwed up.

Edited by Harry Monk

Its BBC.

All i could decipher from the Look East 'cuts reports' was that no news was actually contained in them, just various speculative scaremongering of poor old people freezing to death on the streets this winter. Basically a care home might be privatized somewhere.

That this is even called 'news' is a disgrace.

There are already problems at DVLA, I am a member of http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php and truck drivers are reporting that licence renewals are taking six weeks now, last year it took a week (we have to renew our driving licences periodically)

Oddly enough, I was talking with someone today and the conversation went along the lines of... if you have a Swansea area postal address you get, allegedly, an almost instant turn-around on licences at the moment but if you are from further afield things are taking a bit longer... We laughed and joked and sighed big sighs...

Its BBC.

All i could decipher from the Look East 'cuts reports' was that no news was actually contained in them, just various speculative scaremongering of poor old people freezing to death on the streets this winter. Basically a care home might be privatized somewhere.

That this is even called 'news' is a disgrace.

...the BBC.. Pravda London ...needs to be extinguished..... :rolleyes:

We moved in July and I sent of the change of address for my car (DVL5 ??) still waiting for it ... car tax due soon ... form needed. I live in London so assume it gets put at the bottom of the pile ...

Maybe I should set up a PO Box address service? A bit like those people who go and get you a visa to visit India from the Indian High Commission.

Always send stuff to the DVLA recorded delivery was something I was told many years back.

Always send stuff to the DVLA recorded delivery was something I was told many years back.

I'd feel sorry for the poor bugger having to sign for that correspondence... :o