House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gordon Ramsay On French Food

Watching Ramsay's prog, it's on French restaurants this week.

Am I the only one who thinks that, regardless of the superlatives Gordo employs in ralation to it, French food is vastly overrated if this is the best it gets? Most of it looks minging, quite honestly.

France is food heaven - try visiting to Lyon!

I've never really understood where this idea that France produces the best food/chefs/cooks comes from. Personally, Italy would come more readily to mind. As I say, not much of what was in that programme seemed particularly appetising.

I've never really understood where this idea that France produces the best food/chefs/cooks comes from. Personally, Italy would come more readily to mind. As I say, not much of what was in that programme seemed particularly appetising.

Not sure about that! One of my friends is a British chef, and he's worked in France a lot!

The French certainly have more of the small rural good restaurants!

Smashing meals for £20 a head! No hurry, well it takes an hour or two!

We have "Little Chef" and MacDonalds!

I always think of Italian food as "cheese on toast! :blink:

Not sure about that! One of my friends is a British chef, and he's worked in France a lot!

It's perfectly possible to get a decent meal here for £20 a head. The French have Maccy D's and I'm sure they have a Little Chef equivalent.

Ramsays' prog last night was about high-end restaurants. These places didn't seem to be serving anything particularly outstanding, to be honest. Perhaps it was the preponderance of sea food, which I'm not mad about, but it just didn't seem that good. A bit of poached fish served on a poncey looking salad and covered with thick sauce is hardly anything special.

Can't say I've ever had a bad meal in France. Definitely can't say the same about this country.

I have had a bad meal but it's significant that after holidaying there perhaps fifty times and eating out maybe five hundred I can remember exactly where and when it was.At the basic level the food tends to be good,plentiful and cheap.This year however I did notice that despite levying VAT an only 5% on food it is getting closer to UK prices.

There is a huge difference between tourist areras and out of the way rural restaurants where the French eat.

It does - it's quite simple. Check out the best chefs worldwide. Strangely enough many of them are French!

Italian food is great - but it can't compare with French cuisine. Try hiking along the Rhone and the Appenini like I did a few years ago - you'll probably come to the same conclusion.

It does - it's quite simple. Check out the best chefs worldwide. Strangely enough many of them are French!

Surely that's a cultural thing rather than a comment on the quality of French food in general.

The last two F1 champions have been British, but we don't make the best cars.

I think technically and as mentioned culturally France is right up there, but the idea they have the best food for me comes from a historical root where world travel and experience of food was massively limited. If you wanted good food in the then developed world it was France, with international travel (in terms of both people and produce) we have the benefit of being able to eat pretty much any food we wish and French food drops down a few levels.

Is the overall general level of food better in France, without a doubt does it mean it's the best in the world, not for me. I have eaten some great food in France but I have also eaten some rubbish.

It's perfectly possible to get a decent meal here for £20 a head. The French have Maccy D's and I'm sure they have a Little Chef equivalent.

Totally agree about "high end" restaurants! Remarkable overpriced! :huh:

It is all myth. French food is crap and expensive. Tins of cassoulet or ravioli. The French eat a less varied diet than the English and the ingredients are of poorer quality. Forget all this fresh food from village markets, everyone shops at the supermarkets. They may have 400 cheeses but most people eat boring emmental. They are not at all adventurous. They believe French is best, so if it is different it must inferior. Perhaps French food was good, once, when Brits ate fish n chips. Now the UK is way ahead.

I watch Gordon Ramsay here in France, its in French and its called 'cauchemar en cuisine' or nightmare in the kitchen

Good fun as he's always swearing his head off !

Having said that every French housewife mine included are proud of one dish that they cook

The famous 'Gratin Dauphinois' which is nothing more that sliced potatoes mixed with garlic ,milk ,cheese etc and baked in the oven for 45 minutes!

Tell a French woman that you have never tasted a 'gratin' like she has made that was so good you will make them so happy and proud of ther cooking

I watch Gordon Ramsay here in France, its in French and its called 'cauchemar en cuisine' or nightmare in the kitchen

Good fun as he's always swearing his head off !

Having said that every French housewife mine included are proud of one dish that they cook

The famous 'Gratin Dauphinois' which is nothing more that sliced potatoes mixed with garlic ,milk ,cheese etc and baked in the oven for 45 minutes!

Tell a French woman that you have never tasted a 'gratin' like she has made that was so good you will make them so happy and proud of ther cooking

Which kind of supports the comments a few posts up. That's hardly an unusual or exciting dish that the rest of the world can't make as well as the French can. It's also similar to most of the stuff on the Ramsay show; pale grey/light brown in colour which is what most of it seemed to be.

The French love McDonalds. And they prepare the burgers with more care and they taste much better over there!

First time I was in Paris and I was asked to choose anything from the menu by the host - and I had curried lobster! It was mad and cost over 1000 francs... in 1987! :blink:

The French are the undisputed kings of haute-cuisine, which admittedly isn't what you want every day. But for special occasions you cannot beat a French menu gastronomique at a Michelin starred restaurant. (Start with a fine Scotch.) No other country comes close, the nearest being Italy.

I have always enjoyed the meals I have eaten in France, mainly because they use good ingredients and have a knack of mixing flavours so they taste well together, their sauces are good also and they can make a meal. There are a few good places to eat on Calais beach that offer a good tasty reasonably priced menu d'hôte. ;)

I talked to some friends in France about this - they say that the French do make the best food in the world, providing said food is French in origin. It is a culinary monoculture.

If you want to have a bit of variety and choice, Thai, Indian, Italian, Vietnamese, Chinese, French etc - England is the number one place in the world.

This country needs to stop doing itself down, it really does.

Edit: I think many people profess to love French food above all for the same reason people claim to appreciate fine wine; it affords them an aura of sophistication and prestige.

http://charlieandrorysfood.blogspot.com/2009/09/english-food-french-standpoint-english.html

English food a french standpoint (in English)

"We cannot trust these people,their food is way too bad.Beside Finland it is the worst country for food"

Jacques Chirac French President 1995-2007

In France English people are seen as arrogant and there food is simply disgusting

On the French version of Charlie and Rorys Food Blog you can see the classics with photos

Such as Le Sheperds Pie or the 'toad in the hole'

BTW I am not a food fanatic people on low incomes and those out of work etc

They cannot afford to eat decent food this applies to France as well as the UK or anywhere in the world

Some years ago I was invited to a party in France by French friends. We went to a small restaurant and had a fine meal with all sorts of strange flavours. The following day we had an equally fine lunch.

|However, on the boat back, I caught the smell of British bacon, sausages, eggs etc.

Smelled like heaven to me, far better than all that French stuff.

Perhaps I am just unsophisticated (or honest)

I will leave this up to Harry Dunn to state the obvious.

It's amazing how much people like something more if you call it coq-au-vin as opposed to chicken casserole.

Can't stand French food. It's oily and dripping in garlic butter. Although, I will say that l'escargots are rather nice, and they have some lovely cheese and wine.

All a bit poncey, small and pretentious for me.

When in Rome do as the Romans do.....when visiting any country try their food, eat their food you might like it or you may not, if you don't try you won't find out....saying that you can't beat a good shepherds pie or roast beef, roast potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding with apple crumble and clotted cream to finish. ;)

Worst Steak I have ever had was in France. Horrendous. Also they tend to use far too much cheese for my liking. Now I love cheese but they go a bit mental with a lot of the food I have had over there.

Good food. Good ingredients. Definately. However never been as impressed with it as I assume I am 'supposed' to be.

It's amazing how much people like something more if you call it coq-au-vin as opposed to chicken casserole.

I suppose thats because a' coq' is not a chicken !

You know what I mean.

Spotted Dick isn't actually a dick!

gravy is unrefined, A 'Jus de boeuf' is the height of refinement.

A 'coq' is a rooster or a **** not a chicken

Gravy is made from 'jus de boeuf'