House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Halifax Off And Die!

I don't watch the commercial channels much, but when that comes on we always hit the "mute" button on the remote.

Those Halifax ads are possibly the worst adverts ever made, they make the Riesen Chocolate Chew advert look good (previously voted the worst - sure it's on YouTube somewhere, I won't do it the courtesy of a link)

I have the dubious misfortune of having a Halifax account and those ads just make me want to close it.

The Barclays ones aren't much better - the one that starts with "What's this bloke doing? He's growing money" make me think of Mervyn King and an inkjet printer.

Conversely, I think the Lloyds ones are pretty good.

Unfortunately annoying ads work. People are more likely to go with something they've heard of, and having ads on mainstream TV gives the impression of a reliable organisation (or at least one where you know what you're getting) rather than some pokey fly-by-night operation. And an annoying ad is more likely to be rememebered than a bland one. All a load of nonsense of course, but there are a lot of people that it works with.

Unfortunately annoying ads work. People are more likely to go with something they've heard of, and having ads on mainstream TV gives the impression of a reliable organisation (or at least one where you know what you're getting) rather than some pokey fly-by-night operation. And an annoying ad is more likely to be rememebered than a bland one. All a load of nonsense of course, but there are a lot of people that it works with.

THe opposite is true. Even less annoying but overly creative award winning ads can have the opposite effect - companies have found that ad campaigns have decreased sales again and again and again. By testing, swtching campaigns on and off, etc. David Ogilvy has written some interesting stuff on this. Being remembered is not the same as increasing sales.

Halifax ads - I'd rather scratch my nails on a blackboard. They're that cringe worthy.

--

Go compare - Funny and fun, but I still use confused.com.

"Conversely, I think the Lloyds ones are pretty good" For the journey a cartoon Utopia with the bank manager going to work on his pushbike!! deary deary me.

Maybe they see it coming and realise that's all the transport they'll be able to afford shortly.

Well, I can dream.

Unfortunately annoying ads work.

Is it worse than the "Go Compare" advert ? Everytime I hear that I want to smash the radio.

Case in point. They do work. Everyone that watches TV regularly knows the Go Compare and the Meerkat adverts. And when i say everyone you must be talking about 90% +.

That is pretty impressive by anyones standards. I doubt they really care if people think it is annoying.

"Conversely, I think the Lloyds ones are pretty good" For the journey a cartoon Utopia with the bank manager going to work on his pushbike!! deary deary me.

I think the cartoonesque look and feel stands out.

But moreover, all the other bank adverts are trying a deliberate strategy of being "on the customer's level", "being your mate".

The Barclays one is a perfect example with the "one of my sheep has gone missing" accent of the narrator and it backfires badly (with me, at least) with the ad with the dippy dancing girl in it - pretty much what banks think of their customers.

The Halifax one is just awful in absolutely every single respect. While it's true that annoying adverts do stick in the mind (GoCompare, WeBuyAnyCar) I'm not so sure this works well when it sticks in the mind for all the wrong reasons.