House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rain'ard

I Hate My Accent

Have you ever wished like me, that you could change your regional accent.

When I hear mine on a tape recorder I drop dead with embarrassment. I claim there is something wrong with the machine, only to notice that everyone else on it seems to sound normal.

It’s a raucous Sussex coast mongrel, cross between east-ender and a farmer Giles, with cringe inducing vowels where the `A` sounds like the Virgin express’s brakes pulling into the station.

On the phone I sound like dirty old man or horse s*** expert.

Be honest, wouldn’t you like to change yours?

How about a nice Welsh lyrical sounding voice(or a gruff one) just like you hear bleeding through on your car radio as you start to cross the bridge near Bristol.

Perhaps a Geordie so you can be a voice over on television or commercial radio advertisements.

To sound like a Liverpool poet might be nice.(without the poetry of course)

Birmingham is a good one, very handy for going into PC World and having a good moan.

Any Scotsmen or Yorkshiremen willing to swap.

When I hear mine on a tape recorder I drop dead with embarrassment.  I claim there is something wrong with the machine, only to notice that everyone else on it seems to sound normal.

That's probably not your accent. I think everyone feels like that when they hear their voice played back on a tape recorder...! :)

Thank’s Pod, that’s very kind of you. The ironical thing is that my sister used to be an opera singer for the ENO in the seventies. I don’t know what happened to me.

Have you ever wished like me, that you could change your regional accent.

When I hear mine on a tape recorder I drop dead with embarrassment.  I claim there is something wrong with the machine, only to notice that everyone else on it seems to sound normal.

It’s a raucous Sussex coast mongrel, cross between east-ender and a farmer Giles, with cringe inducing vowels where the `A` sounds like the Virgin express’s brakes pulling into the station.

On the phone I sound like dirty old man or horse s*** expert.

Be honest, wouldn’t you like to change yours?

How about a nice Welsh lyrical sounding voice(or a gruff one) just like you hear bleeding through on your car radio as you start to cross the bridge near Bristol.

Perhaps a Geordie so you can be a voice over on television or commercial radio advertisements.

To sound like a Liverpool poet might be nice.(without the poetry of course)

Birmingham is a good one, very handy for going into PC World and having a good moan.

Many people are becoming linguistic chameleons these days. Assuming accents and dialects in the hope of fitting in to any given social situation.

Be proud of your accent and local dialect and colloquialisms. Keep them alive for a richer and more interesting English language.

Those 'Geordies' on the telly voice overs have never been close, by the way. Timothy Spall, of Auf Wiedersehen Pet fame is not a Brummie.

I sound crap on tape too. Too boxy and nasal. I'm OK when I've got a cold 'cos my voice drops nearly an octave and I sound more like the guy who sang "I was born under a wandering star.......", which would do me fine.

:D

my accent is ace - no one is avin it!

didn't know consa was south african?? - changes things dunnit?

drove through bognor regis and thought of him today though :)

internet forums are funny - no??!!!

still don't know if shaker was a genuine scot or immigrant. used to try and read his posts (when he was here) with a scottish accent and it made me titter :lol:

I was once asked where I came from, I replied kettering. Then the guy asked where was I originally from. Confused, I replied kettering. Oh, he said, you sound foreign.

:'(

Giraffe.

I ‘ve just looked on the internet to have a look at Kettering to see if I could get any clues why people should think you are foreign. It must be the fact that you walk around in full Aztec nation costume that’s doing it. I could help noticing the shape of your Odeon. It looks like one of those weird Rightmove conversions. If my Odeon was that shape I think I would move.

foxy

How about a Lancastrian exile living in Yorkshire with early informative years spent in Scotland ? :rolleyes:

Cumin’t haus tek thee clogs off, givus thee cout, sit thee sen darn bit fire an I’ll git misses tomack tha a cuppa tee :D

Guest consa
Only recently found out consa’s a South African. I now can’t read his posts without

Going into the accent. Anyone remember the spitting image song?  :D

NO!! :angry: :lol:

Guest muttley
Only recently found out consa’s a South African. I now can’t read his posts without

Going into the accent. Anyone remember the spitting image song?  :D

"I've never met a nice South African"

Er...that was the name of the song,not a statement.

Giraffe.

I ‘ve just looked on the internet to have a look at Kettering to see if I could get any clues why people should think you are foreign.  It must be the fact that you walk around in full Aztec nation costume that’s doing it.  I could help noticing the shape of your Odeon.  It looks like one of those weird Rightmove conversions.  If my Odeon was that shape I think I would move. 

foxy

The reason my accent is so weird is that the town to the north of me (corby) was built for the scottish to give them work. It is also where I work so I've got a bit of scottish. The town to the south (northampton) for some reason speak in a kind of cockney style, so I also speak a bit cockney. The city to the west is Birmingham, and to the east lincolnshires faarmer accent.

So oi kahnda tork loik this which is orful ennit. :(

And we have a funny looking cinema :'(

my accent is ace - no one is avin it!

didn't know consa was south african?? - changes things dunnit?

drove through bognor regis and thought of him today though  :)

internet forums are funny - no??!!!

still don't know if shaker was a genuine scot or immigrant. used to try and read his posts (when he was here) with a scottish accent and it made me titter  :lol:

Like you I think `Consa’, when I see a road sign for Bognor Regis, being from Sussex. It used to be `The Birdman contest’ which may explain the two wings in the background of his avatar.

Guest consa
Like you I think `Consa’, when I see a road sign for Bognor Regis, being from Sussex.  It used to be `The Birdman contest’ which may explain the two wings in the background of his avatar.

Right thats it!! going to have to change my avatar now :angry:

I Hate My Accent

If it's any consolation I hate your accent too! And yes, I do wish I could change it for you, you poor devil, but sadly this is completely beyond my power. Still it's nice to know great minds think alike!

Thanks for trying Sledge’

Looks like I’m stuck with it.

Oh and Consa My uncle’s South African, his family live in Cato Ridge. He had the best accent in the family.

Guest consa
Thanks for trying Sledge’

Looks like I’m stuck with it.

Oh and Consa My uncle’s South African, his family live in Cato Ridge. He had the best accent in the family.

Unfortunately I have lost my accent now, Cato Ridge is a nice place, I was from Durban so not far away, (there again 200 miles is not far away over there :lol: ) there is a lot of nice places over there.

Unfortunately I have lost my accent now, Cato Ridge is a nice place, I was from Durban so not far away, (there again 200 miles is not far away over there :lol: ) there is a lot of nice places over there.

no! don't say you have lost your accent.

i am working on my mental visualisation of hpc posters by reading their posts in regional accents (lots of good material in ethnic thread). you are spoiling it!!!! i thought i got ures sussed.

(i am off work sick and slightly delirious - hence weird ways of amusing self!!)

This is a very entertaining topic,I think. Someone asked about Yorkshiremen -- Well I am one such and the Yorkshire accent is THE best !! You only need to go slightly outside the county and some people can't understand you ! If a Yorkshireman goes into Lancashire,as soon as he opens his mouth,the 'quick as a flash' Lancastrian says 'That's a right accent you've got there' . :huh: I don't have an accent mate,YOU do! LOL!! ---- It's funny isn't it,that you can't hear your own accent ? B) . I think we should all accompany our posts with a 'regional saying' or quote. Or even type our posts in 'local accent'. :) . It would be hilarious trying to decipher them all ! :lol: . Here's a local one from me ----- Sithee,put wood it oil. (Read it like it printed). Can anyone tell me what I've said there ?? This could be fun !

Guest muttley

Never ask a man if he is from Yorkshire.If he is,he will have already told you!

Sithee,put wood it oil.
Close the door please.

My accent sounds northern to southerners,but not to most northerners.