House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nigooner

Ni Ghost Estates

I have read about the ghost estates down south that have been built in the past, and now face demolition as there are no people wanting to live in them. what a waste of money.

is it just the south that has these ghost estates, or does NI have them too? there must be a load of unfinished/un-lived in developments in NI that are set to suffer a similar fate to those in Ireland.

I'm not sure they will knock to many down in the ROI. This may have been more of a throw away remark, but there may well be a few.

I cant think of any 'Ghost Estates'in the main areas around Belfast. However I am sure there would be partly built schemes that have been placed in limbo with perhaps the developer going into administration. I am sure there may well be other small schemes that have commenced in the small towns and villages of Fermanagh and Tyrone that are 'mothballed' now. The partly built units will be built out and sold off over time at the market price and the remainder of the land will eventually sold on.

I imagine there are alot of aspirational schemes, with full planning or still in the system that could be called Ghost Schemes as they will never see the light of day. Most of these will be garden grabbers who had planned to build four story/30 unit apartment schemes. They will be no longer viable.

The main difference between here and the South is firstly our glorious planning system (we couldn't get the permissions fast enough to allow us to do any harm) and secondly, when the houses stopped selling (one Tuesday morning in May 2007) we stopped building the dam things. For some reason, which I cant figure out they kept building down south. They continued on for 9 to 12 months after it was clear the market had collapsed and build up a massive stock of unsold houses.

Even the latest statement from NAMA admits that we have no stock overhang worth talking about.

here's 1 to kick off

http://www.michaelhannath.co.uk/brochure.php?p=MHPMHP0557&r=1

No sales as yet, around 12 -1 4 semis in various states of completion, originally on the market at the start of 2008 asking prices £250,000. Funny thing is, the estate agents website says that 4 of the 7 houses currently advertised are sale agreed. Trust me, no one is living here.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=31+Dungannon+Road,+Portadown&sll=54.435018,-6.465931&sspn=0.000693,0.001894&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=31+Dungannon+Rd,+Portadown,+Craigavon,+County+Armagh+BT62+1LF,+United+Kingdom&ll=54.434658,-6.465497&spn=0,0.030298&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=54.435018,-6.465931&panoid=xR3GCNyZtlT5HVIqQ8eXjA&cbp=12,196.96,,0,5

Edited by SPADER

One out of 30 is being lived in here and it's been like that for months. None of those allegedly reserved has been occupied.

http://www.lavelle-mcalinden.com/sections/default.asp?secid=2_1&cmsid=82&cms=current%20developments&id=33

i think i have actually seen this development. if its the one I am thinking of there are some very big town houses, not sure if they are right for the area!

i think i saw one or two of the townhouses were actually lived in, the rest (i think the semis are behind the townhouses, off the road) is just a building site. unfinished roads, unfinished properties, fencing still up, etc. shame for the people who are living there. looked like work hadn't been done in a while.

here's 1 to kick off

http://www.michaelhannath.co.uk/brochure.php?p=MHPMHP0557&r=1

No sales as yet, around 12 -1 4 semis in various states of completion, originally on the market at the start of 2008 asking prices £250,000. Funny thing is, the estate agents website says that 4 of the 7 houses currently advertised are sale agreed. Trust me, no one is living here.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=31+Dungannon+Road,+Portadown&sll=54.435018,-6.465931&sspn=0.000693,0.001894&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=31+Dungannon+Rd,+Portadown,+Craigavon,+County+Armagh+BT62+1LF,+United+Kingdom&ll=54.434658,-6.465497&spn=0,0.030298&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=54.435018,-6.465931&panoid=xR3GCNyZtlT5HVIqQ8eXjA&cbp=12,196.96,,0,5

That "Sanity Ware" could be useful if you're trying to sell at that price.

There was one on a documentary a few months back, can't remember where, but it was an estate built in an place of no real demand in 'anticipation' of demand for cheaper places further out of town (Belfast). The couple who had bought had to move out due to vermin and vandalism, they ended up making themselves bankrupt so they could start again.

This was the real reason for ghost estates, building in major towns will always find tennants/buyers at some point or at the right price, so you should not see them in Belfast. The ghost apartments blocks in Belfast are simply entrenched/deluded sellers/developers in court action.

There was one on a documentary a few months back, can't remember where, but it was an estate built in an place of no real demand in 'anticipation' of demand for cheaper places further out of town (Belfast). The couple who had bought had to move out due to vermin and vandalism, they ended up making themselves bankrupt so they could start again.

This was the real reason for ghost estates, building in major towns will always find tennants/buyers at some point or at the right price, so you should not see them in Belfast. The ghost apartments blocks in Belfast are simply entrenched/deluded sellers/developers in court action.

Yes, I remember that. I would guess Cookstown, but its only a guess.

Lots of empty new build estates around here. Small developments but plenty of them. I can think of 7 within 5 miles of each other ranging from 4 plots to 40 all pretty much empty and have been for many many months.

Lots of empty new build estates around here. Small developments but plenty of them. I can think of 7 within 5 miles of each other ranging from 4 plots to 40 all pretty much empty and have been for many many months.

where abouts are you talking?

Ballymena/Antrim area

are they even on the market? i saw a development the other day that had hit the wall, but was up for sale as a job lot. 12-15 units, construction was finished, walls plastered, first fix electrics completed.

i get the picture there are a lot of developments similar to that, which must be in the hands of the banks. but yet the banks haven't put them on the market, even in their unfinished state. in the mean time, they suffer from vandalism etc and continually lose any value they had.

Edited by nigooner

That was a good piece about Downpatrick.

Of course they should be sold off cheap and used to house those who need them. The chap who was worried about the price of his house was happy enough when he bought it... sounds like sour grapes to me.

Only caught the very end to it. Can it be listened to again. Anybody good at finding these things - please provide a link.

I only heard Seamus thanking Chris McWilliams. Probably don't need to hear the clip as I have listened to him before and know his views are extreme, even for this forum.

It was an easy one to find. It had been put in Newsline "Clips" from last night

Here is the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00bvgnp

Sorry, I thought it was only on the Radio. Thanks for the link.

Whilst you feel for the guy that bought the house you cant argue with the market.

In my view the bank should finish the houses and sell them off at Market value. If Clanmil, or any other housing association wish to buy them then they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Whilst you feel for the guy that bought the house you cant argue with the market.

In my view the bank should finish the houses and sell them off at Market value. If Clanmil, or any other housing association wish to buy them then they are perfectly entitled to do so.

I agree, when did it become a requirement the planning service to allow houses to be used for social housing? He seems to be using this as a reason to get compensation for his loss in value. As other commentors said, there are no restrictions on who can buy properties.

Reading between the lines in that report, I got the impression the guy that lives on the ghost estate wants Clanmill to talk to him so that he can sell them his house and cut his losses.