House Price Crash Forum
hobdoll

Gold Dropping Fast

never seen or heard of one in my life (will be more than please to be corrected)

I did wonder about that, I even Googled for it.

:D

Oh. Thought I was replying to Goldfinger for some reason (!). My comments probably seemed a bit weird. Nevertheless, always good to have the support of a fellow Goldbug, and glad to hear you've done so well with "teh preshuss" :)

I might think twice before I voice another observation about the gold price :rolleyes:

Only mentioned it because I was actually watching the price trying to time a buy and it dropped $30 in twenty minutes :unsure:

What has really shocked me today is that this thread was not started by realistbear :lol:

You have to admire his restraint :)

his change in stance is beginning to make me very nervous tbh :unsure:

:lol:

RB's no sheeple and with this forum's crowd mercilessly banging the facts into his head he is bound to see the light eventually.

no-one mentioned other hard commodities - no views on these?

Do you mean any commodity?

Rare earths are an amazing story that could go a long way but likely to blow up in somebody's face at some stage. We might be a few years away from that though.

The Chinese are hoarding silver (it's their favoured form of tangible money from what I heard) apparently and something's going on price wise.

Commodities from sugar to cotton via copper have been all over the place over the last few days. The promise of QE2 is creating tons of volatility and who knows what might happen by the end of the year. On top of that the Chinese are really starting to p*ss off everybody and that adds a lot of uncertainty.

FWIW I am very active in these but also fully hedged at all times.

Do you mean any commodity?

Rare earths are an amazing story that could go a long way but likely to blow up in somebody's face at some stage. We might be a few years away from that though.

The Chinese are hoarding silver (it's their favoured form of tangible money from what I heard) apparently and something's going on price wise.

Commodities from sugar to cotton via copper have been all over the place over the last few days. The promise of QE2 is creating tons of volatility and who knows what might happen by the end of the year. On top of that the Chinese are really starting to p*ss off everybody and that adds a lot of uncertainty.

FWIW I am very active in these but also fully hedged at all times.

I still cant believe that when platinum was cheaper than gold I sat with a thumb up my backside because it was too much hassle to source plat. :rolleyes:

I hate vat on silver otherwise I would have bucket loads.

Hedged how?

I still cant believe that when platinum was cheaper than gold I sat with a thumb up my backside because it was too much hassle to source plat. :rolleyes:

There's only so much you can follow.

Hedged how?

Mainly with options. I have a small stock of physical gold to assuage my tfh tendencies, but I do most of my 'investing' via shares or commodity futures.

There's only so much you can follow.

Mainly with options. I have a small stock of physical gold to assuage my tfh tendencies, but I do most of my 'investing' via shares or commodity futures.

I'm sure a few of us would like to know a bit more about that. :) Tried some Forex last year and managed to close with just a little more than I started with (very little).

BTW is this a record - an 8 page thread mentioning the heavy yellow metallic element still in the main forum?.

Hi all. I have never owned gold but have been watching gold prices with interest for about 2 years, and the recent dip is the signal I have been waiting for.

http://www.goldprice.org/gold-price-history.html#20_year_gold_price

It looks exactly like all other bubble charts to me, and I'm calling tipping point now. I have put 5% of my investment fund into SBUL short gold ETF & may put another 5% in in November if the downward trend continues.

My situation is that I am waiting to buy the home which I will one day retire to. I know exactly what and where (very choosy) but the prices at the moment seem way off beam & I anticipate a correction. Meantime my investment portfolio looks like this: UK equities 35.5%; EURO/US equities 21.7%; cash 18.2; financial & commodity ETFs 13.1%; bonds 6.5%; managed funds & unit trusts 4.2%

will post back in a couple of months to let you know if the call was good or bad

Hi all. I have never owned gold but have been watching gold prices with interest for about 2 years, and the recent dip is the signal I have been waiting for.

It looks exactly like all other bubble charts to me, and I'm calling tipping point now. I have put 5% of my investment fund into SBUL short gold ETF & may put another 5% in in November if the downward trend continues.

My situation is that I am waiting to buy the home which I will one day retire to. I know exactly what and where (very choosy) but the prices at the moment seem way off beam & I anticipate a correction. Meantime my investment portfolio looks like this: UK equities 35.5%; EURO/US equities 21.7%; cash 18.2; financial & commodity ETFs 13.1%; bonds 6.5%; managed funds & unit trusts 4.2%

will post back in a couple of months to let you know if the call was good or bad

I hope you have BUPA cover, that is gonna be some car crash :huh: . Good luck with it though.

I bought PHAG and PHAU in July. Today I sold my PHAG at 15% profit after charges because I reckon silver will tank between now and xmas.

I only wish I had bought more.

I still have the PHAU - i've made like 2% which barely covers commission, so I'll hang on.

Oh I don't sell physical gold or silver. I've bought about 2 oz of silver off ebay at less than spot today.

It just goes to show that none of us has a clue whats going to happen. I am invested in foreign and commodity stocks around the world with little in europe and most of uk funds are in big companies for the income. If i knew gold was going for sure i would get out of some gold and silver etfs fast. But i dont. I try to get a few sovereigns too but wont pay more than spot. All pretty much the opposite of your strategy. Already got a property , but maybe after the alledged furthur collapse thats the way to go. Who knows.

It just goes to show that none of us has a clue whats going to happen. I am invested in foreign and commodity stocks around the world with little in europe and most of uk funds are in big companies for the income. If i knew gold was going for sure i would get out of some gold and silver etfs fast. But i dont. I try to get a few sovereigns too but wont pay more than spot. All pretty much the opposite of your strategy. Already got a property , but maybe after the alledged furthur collapse thats the way to go. Who knows.

Hi, I completely agree with you in essence. Will post in a month to let you know if it is a car crash or not! Still, it shouldn't be a complete write off- that would basically require gold to be priced at infinity. And I trust Peter Lynch' who said "you only need to be right 6 times out of 10"!

My strategy is, to be in a position to buy a house with river frontage and a mooring in a certain postcode in SW England (choosy- told you!) without being dependant on selling the house I currently own & live in . At the moment the right sort of place seems to be selling for a lot more than I have... a few years of compounded gains, as well as a housing market correction, are needed yet! Maybe it will come, maybe not.

Anyway, the reason for posting was that I love this site & think that there are some very good contributors, I simply wanted to offer a contrarian opinion backed up by action.

Good luck all

Hi, I completely agree with you in essence. Will post in a month to let you know if it is a car crash or not! Still, it shouldn't be a complete write off- that would basically require gold to be priced at infinity. And I trust Peter Lynch' who said "you only need to be right 6 times out of 10"!

My strategy is, to be in a position to buy a house with river frontage and a mooring in a certain postcode in SW England (choosy- told you!) without being dependant on selling the house I currently own & live in . At the moment the right sort of place seems to be selling for a lot more than I have... a few years of compounded gains, as well as a housing market correction, are needed yet! Maybe it will come, maybe not.

Anyway, the reason for posting was that I love this site & think that there are some very good contributors, I simply wanted to offer a contrarian opinion backed up by action.

Good luck all

Might not be such a bad call if you are looking at a timeframe of a month. I also am looking for a healthy correction anytime between here and mid nov. Will be buying in the dip and may add some shorts on the way. Seems it may have already started. Holding beyond this correction would be a car crash imo.

Good luck all

I lost my nerve and bailed out of my etfs today. Made some profit though. If it looks like gold is off again i will buy some more. Simples. Dont forget what they say about boats. The second best day of your life is when you buy a boat. The best is when you sell it. lol

Such a juicy comment I'm adding this to my sig.

Now let me get this straight RB, your local EA buys a silver bar today in a weight I've never heard of (2 kg maybe, but 2.5?) and he what? Emails you to let you know? Phones you up? Or did you just happen to call in and it came up in conversation?

I did a google search for a 2.5 kg bar and this is all I found.

Silver Bullion Coins .999 Best Place To Buy Uk? - House Price ...

11 posts - 8 authors - Last post: 9 Jul

My local EA just bought a 2.5kg bar of silver this morning. That may prove to be the market top for Ag. Back to top; Reply Icon ...

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=146773 - Cached

^ :lol:

Its bizarre to say the least, that people have a go at goldbugs for being crazy, when the most anti gold person on the website resorts to lies in a argument. Plus the Gbugs have constantly been right at the genral direction of the price of gold. Logic is not been used in the argument against.