House Price Crash Forum

500,000 Jobs To Go

exiges

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1321842/SPENDING-REVIEW-500-000-public-sector-jobs-Danny-Alexander-lets-cat-bag.html

The coalition expects 500,000 public sector jobs to be lost as a result of the drastic spending cuts, it was revealed today.

Danny Alexander let slip the forecast when he was spotted driving into the Treasury with an open copy of the Comprehensive Spending Review on his lap.

The Chief Secretary to the Treasury - who has been nicknamed Beaker after the Muppets character - was reading the document, which was caught on camera by waiting photographers.

It laid out details about the likely effect of spending cuts on the public sector as well as the coalition's plans to pour billions into tackling climate change.

HOLA442

hmmm, let me guess, The important information which he 'accidently' allowed photographers to see was written in extra large font and was circled with a highlighter pen and had arrows pointing to it saying

]"Important Information, Do not disclose to awaiting photographers under ANY circumstance. TO ALL AWAITING PHOTOGRAPHERS, under NO circumstance may you take a photo of this here classified information which will be revealed only at tommorrows spending review and NOT BEFORE IT. ps check your exposure settings and make sure the white balance is correct on your SLR's[/size]"

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

500k over the course of parliament isn't as bad as it sounds. Lots of voluntary redundancies in there, lots of retirees and frankly lots of deadwood.

Hopefully the fewest number of big payoffs please.

What's the total public sector workforce ? Divide that by say 35 and you've got your annual natural wasteage.

HOLA446

According to the NSO:

Public sector employment is 6.051 million.

So that's about 173,000 people joining/leaving the government each year.. Just stop people joining.

Multiply that by the term of the government and you've got your 500,000

HOLA447
HOLA448

500k over the course of parliament isn't as bad as it sounds. Lots of voluntary redundancies in there, lots of retirees and frankly lots of deadwood.

It wont be the deadwood that's leaving.

Then there are the redundancy payouts, 2 years for every week you have worked there. And strict rules on double dipping, no-rehiring of VR until the next day.

Should save a pretty penny.

I think I mentioned in another thread. 500,000 * 40,000 = £20 billion, assuming a salary of £40,000 a year on average.

So then, where will the other £140bn of cuts per year come from?

I just dont see how they can do this without going after excessive salaries in government, and cutting civil service pensions, and total UK pension expediture. Part of that has to come from raising the retirement age more aggresively, and part from cutting the state pension.

As it stands, we seem to have a bunch of pussies in power, who dont know how to get the job done.

HOLA449

hmmm, let me guess, The important information which he 'accidently' allowed photographers to see was written in extra large font and was circled with a highlighter pen and had arrows pointing to it saying

size 60 font perhaps so they didn't have to get a zoom lens out?

HOLA4410

Then there are the redundancy payouts, 2 years for every week you have worked there. And strict rules on double dipping, no-rehiring of VR until the next day.

I think I mentioned in another thread. 500,000 * 40,000 = £20 billion, assuming a salary of £40,000 a year on average.

I just dont see how they can do this without going after excessive salaries in government, and cutting civil service pensions, and total UK pension expediture. Part of that has to come from raising the retirement age more aggresively, and part from cutting the state pension.

As it stands, we seem to have a bunch of pussies in power, who dont know how to get the job done.

Two years for every week worked :ph34r::ph34r: I think you will have 6million voluntary redundancies

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The average pubic sector employee wont be earning 40,000

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1321842/SPENDING-REVIEW-500-000-public-sector-jobs-Danny-Alexander-lets-cat-bag.html

The coalition expects 500,000 public sector jobs to be lost as a result of the drastic spending cuts, it was revealed today.

Danny Alexander let slip the forecast when he was spotted driving into the Treasury with an open copy of the Comprehensive Spending Review on his lap.

The Chief Secretary to the Treasury - who has been nicknamed Beaker after the Muppets character - was reading the document, which was caught on camera by waiting photographers.

It laid out details about the likely effect of spending cuts on the public sector as well as the coalition's plans to pour billions into tackling climate change.

At the same time, the Prime Minister was photographed today holding a draft of the Strategic Defence and Security Review.

While figures in Mr Cameron's documents appeared to show the defence budget was to be cut by 6 per cent, the Prime Minister confirmed to the Commons this afternoon that the department's cuts will be 8 per cent.

The fact that both were photographed on the same day has sparked speculation that the papers were deliberately 'leaked' to soften the blow ahead of the official announcements.

Mr Alexander's copy of The Comprehensive Spending Review laid out details about the likely effect of spending cuts on the public sector as well as the coalition's plans to pour billions into tackling climate change.

The document stresses that tackling the deficit now is 'unavoidable' and will ultimately benefit the public and private sectors.

It warns it will 'inevitably impact' on workers because the paybill in Whitehall accounts for such a huge proportion of departmental spending.

Action on pay - a freeze for the lowest paid is already in place - will help reduce job losses, the papers say.

But they make clear that the Government has adopted the Office for Budget Responsibility's forecast that 490,000 jobs in the public sector will go by 2014/15.

Each public sector employer will have to 'determine the workforce implications of spending settlements', the document says.

It adds: 'Government will do everything they can to mitigate the impact of redundancies'.

This will be done by creating conditions for private sector growth, encouraging pay restraint and reduced hours and supporting employees facing redundancy.

On climate change, which was on the opposite page of the document held by Mr Alexander, the coalition pledges to 'lead efforts to secure ambitious global action'.

It pledges that the UK will contribute £2.9billion in international climate finance and sets out plans to focus on developing wind power to help reach environmental goals.

Mr Alexander, 38, is the latest minister to be caught out by photographers carrying documents in Whitehall.

He was promoted from Scotland Secretary to the Treasury within weeks of the coalition taking power after fellow Lib Dem David Laws was forced to quit by revelations about his expenses claims.

Just five years ago, he was a press officer for the Cairngorms National Park but he was a key figure in the negotiations with the Tories after the election.

Mr Alexander has no experience of finance and has been compared to Beaker, the Muppet Show's hapless laboratory assistant.

David Cameron was also spotted with a copy of his statement about the defence review today, which showed the MoD faces cuts of 8 per cent.

article-1321842-0BAD5E94000005DC-852_296x100.jpg

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I wonder how many of the 490k will include those taking early retirement, and are not looking to work again, thus reducing the amount of jobs need to be created in the private sector?

Giving them retirement on 60% final salary, plus council tax discount for being old plus bus pass plus winter heating allowance, plus free dental and medical.... will all add up to about the same amount of money they they take home each week now after deductions.

YOU WONT SAVE ANY MONEY.

Has to be Ericed to get the point across.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Giving them retirement on 60% final salary, plus council tax discount for being old plus bus pass plus winter heating allowance, plus free dental and medical.... will all add up to about the same amount of money they they take home each week now after deductions.

YOU WONT SAVE ANY MONEY.

Has to be Ericed to get the point across.

I think you missed my point...where did I mention about "saving money"? 490k being laid off....some will instantly go back into employment (probably the private sector), some will take early retirement, and a lot will be put on JSA... So, in theory, the private sector has to grow by 490k to take these extra numbers on. However, some will take early retirement, and some will take one of those so called 500k jobs in the economy (although I don't know how that's split between public & private)..So how many jobs will the private sector actually have to create in order to cover these redundancies? After the proposed changes to incapacity benefit, will we be hitting 4m unemployed?

HOLA4425

Over on the Newsnight blog Paul Mason has just blogged whether this is a signal of offering the Public Sector worker-force a choice - take half a million job losses or take a pay-cut across the board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/paulmason/2010/10/danny_alexander_photoscoop_wha.html

Any company that can't manage on a 35% Tax free employment margin should go under. The Nu-Labour plan to get everyone on the state payroll/benefits so that they wouldn't ever dare vote against them has failed! Thank Goodness!

There will be a lot of pain, because a lot of non job's were created for exactly that reason.

Those Non jobbers were offered 4x, no deposit IO loans to buy houses.!...(Now backed by the Tax payer). So the banks aren't gunna like it much, so those ritch smug bank shareholders will get taken to the cleaners.... Oh wait...that is now a public debt..SWEET!

Archived