House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the_fluid

Agency Asks For 10% Increase On Ast Renewal

Agent is citing "increase in rental market value" as the justification when I asked. But 10%? most I could find cited was 2.8 from the CML.

Anyone else expereinced this as a reason for crazy hikes at the moment?

Agent is citing "increase in rental market value" as the justification when I asked. But 10%? most I could find cited was 2.8 from the CML.

Anyone else expereinced this as a reason for crazy hikes at the moment?

Why not just not sign the renewal, then you will be periodic and not have to pay the increase, alternatively if you want to sign you can get it referred to the rent assessment commitee

http://www.rpts.gov.uk/our_services/rd.htm

If you arent happy with the increase then discuss it with them and negotiate, if they insist on the increase then get it assessed or get ready to get your notice to leave if they insist on pushing it.

Why not just not sign the renewal, then you will be periodic and not have to pay the increase, alternatively if you want to sign you can get it referred to the rent assessment commitee

http://www.rpts.gov.uk/our_services/rd.htm

If you arent happy with the increase then discuss it with them and negotiate, if they insist on the increase then get it assessed or get ready to get your notice to leave if they insist on pushing it.

I clicked through on that link and the first thing I saw was that it applies only to cases where landlords live in the property. I doubt that this is the case with the OP as there is an agency involved.

My advice to the OP is to refuse to negotiate and just let the tenancy lapse into a periodic AST . Unfortunately, it sounds like your landlord is more interested in getting the maximum rent rather than stability, so he/she will probably seek to end the tenancy. If they do, then you're out of luck. During the notice period, however, make sure you make it as difficult as possible for them to find a new tenant by refusing to allow viewings. Let them enjoy a nice lengthy void (thereby negating any rent increase they eventually get from the next tenant) and that will teach them a lesson.

Unfortunately this kind of instability is what you have to put up with when you are renting.

First apologies, this link is better (as an example) its a case of finding the commision for your local area

http://www.hartford.gov/housing/programs/Fair-rent/fair-rent.html

Second, i agree refuse to negotiate and go periodic (assuming you dont think the rent increase is fair of course) i would 100% agree on the refuse viewings, force a void and let them learn the hard way.

Not a huge amount u can do though to be honest.

First apologies, this link is better (as an example) its a case of finding the commision for your local area

http://www.hartford.gov/housing/programs/Fair-rent/fair-rent.html

Second, i agree refuse to negotiate and go periodic (assuming you dont think the rent increase is fair of course) i would 100% agree on the refuse viewings, force a void and let them learn the hard way.

Not a huge amount u can do though to be honest.

Thanks for the responses and here's an update. After arguing that no changes/improvements have been forthcoming to the property and pointing out that they would not achieve the proposed increase if they went back to market without improvements they have agreed not to impose the increase.