House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Ban People Who Think High Rents Are Good

Before I explode in a bubble of blood pressure.

If you think high rents are good surely you think high house prices are good and shouldn't be here?

If you think high rents are good surely you think high house prices are good and shouldn't be here?

Who exactly are you arguing against ?.

Rents will only rise to the point where tenants can pay and the UK is about to get a whole lot poorer.

Deflation cometh and it will not leave rents untouched any more than any other item that is no longer affordable. Poverty will also bring with it rent controls and complusory purchase orders so that the government has room for the vast armies of migrants with plans to come here and settle.

You want to ban people who have a difference of opinion (no matter how strange)?

This is a forum, not a mutual apprecation society (although sometimes....)

--

Post 1: I think house prices are too high.

Post 2: Me too!

Post 3: Me also!

Post 4: I agree with everything.

Post 5: etc

Ban supply and demand? Ban All Bulls? Are rents high? If anything they are low in relation to property prices. why shouldn't Bulls be on HPC?

Edited by AteMoose

With you there Sarah, but rather than censorship we just have to raise our game.

Liked Stars remark about the converse side of subsidy and privilege; that is the real privilege of the rentier.

While im a bear and think most bulls are full of bull that is no reason to ban them. If thats done this place may as well shut down

we NEED more bulls here in order to have more reasonable discussions about the subject in hand, with all likeminded views this would become a cult (if it hasnt already according to some people)

A bit of an extreme reaction, imo.

Main issue is that of population, not housing stock. To solve the housing shortage, the simple solution is to reduce the population, rather than build more housing. Rents will fall, space per person will increase.

Population can be reduced by just tightening up immigration until immi vs emmi causes the decline.

If the UN wants to encourage mass immigration then let them provide funds for infrastructure development.

Main issue is that of population, not housing stock. To solve the housing shortage, the simple solution is to reduce the population, rather than build more housing. Rents will fall, space per person will increase.

Completely agree, it is far more cost-effective to address the Demand side of the equation than the Supply side. The easiest way to achieve this would be to make benefits available only to those who have paid contributions, while offering grants to those needing to return from whence they came.

Sarah,

maybe you should read a bit about economics.

Price signals are the way resources get allocated. If the price of something rises, then it tells us human beings to supply more of it. High rents are clearly good for those selling housing space, and bad for those buying.

For society as a whole though, the price signal is a good thing, as it encourages people to bring in more housing to supply the market.

I guess what we have a problem with though is the lack of land where we want it, to build on. We also have government interference, which takes taxes off of us, in order that some people are moved ahead of others in the housing queue, leaving many of those paying that tax unable to compete and win the housing that they could have obtained otherwise.

it's a free country and people are entitled to their opinions weither they are wrong or right.

I suggest you stop whining so much.

Completely agree, it is far more cost-effective to address the Demand side of the equation than the Supply side. The easiest way to achieve this would be to make benefits available only to those who have paid contributions, while offering grants to those needing to return from whence they came.

I think that the gov't is already or has before paid people to return, but there have been cases of multiple returns.

Bring the British military back from Afghanistan and put them on the borders.

Then put policies in place to a) bring the population back to about 50 million (1980's size), 2) restore balance to the economy in terms of production and consumption and 3) strengthen the agricultural sector.

And get away from the Euro.

Why not just issue a standard rebuke to posters such as:-

'Poster unable to substantiate their reasoning from first principles.'

??

But definitely no banning.

Why not just issue a standard rebuke to posters such as:-

??

But definitely no banning.

The banning idea caught people's eye though.... ;)

I dn't see how high rents are good for a real economy.

A HPI economy maybe ... but not a sensible one that hopes to have manufacturing and industry...

Sarah,

maybe you should read a bit about economics.

Price signals are the way resources get allocated. If the price of something rises, then it tells us human beings to supply more of it. High rents are clearly good for those selling housing space, and bad for those buying.

For society as a whole though, the price signal is a good thing, as it encourages people to bring in more housing to supply the market.

I guess what we have a problem with though is the lack of land where we want it, to build on. We also have government interference, which takes taxes off of us, in order that some people are moved ahead of others in the housing queue, leaving many of those paying that tax unable to compete and win the housing that they could have obtained otherwise.

So what would be a first principle here? A lack of land or the supply of credit?

I would suggest the supply of credit has had more effect on fvcking up the system than has the lack of land?

Rents will only rise to the point where tenants can pay and the UK is about to get a whole lot poorer.

Deflation cometh and it will not leave rents untouched any more than any other item that is no longer affordable. Poverty will also bring with it rent controls and complusory purchase orders so that the government has room for the vast armies of migrants with plans to come here and settle.

We already have unemployed Poles/East Europeans living in tents and crapping in the woods!

Imagine the pre-Victorian diseases they are going to start to infect the population with (thru no fault of their own)

Not long till people have had enough of high rent and start building Calcutta/Delhi/Lagos style shanty towns!

Edited by erranta

High rents are good!

High rents are good!

Nar, nar, ni nar nar....... :lol::lol:

i disagree it's good to have opposing views on here

Sorry......... ever the pedant.

Seriously though, I used to think it was simply all about supply and demand, until someone here pointed out the this absolute is seriously distorted by the supply of credit ............. especially credit created from feck all.

??

:lol:

What a stupid, stupid thread.

oh, first customer

:)

I agree in so much as high rents are bad for the economy (as are all housing costs) but as much as some of the bulls p1ss me off with the shite they spout, some of them have quite reasoned arguments (although still wrong!).

Of course the irony is that there is lots of agreement on this thread that we shouldn't get into groupthink...

Sorry......... ever the pedant.

Seriously though, I used to think it was simply all about supply and demand, until someone here pointed out the this absolute is seriously distorted by the supply of credit ............. especially credit created from feck all.

??

Exactly. I never worked out why anyone ever really did think it was to do with supply and demand - that was only ever a localised issue, but the general shape of ups and downs has been fairly similar throughout the country (even if the absolutes have been wildly different).

The banning idea caught people's eye though.... ;)

I dn't see how high rents are good for a real economy.

A HPI economy maybe ... but not a sensible one that hopes to have manufacturing and industry...

Ahh, I see what you did there!

Yes, farming, manufacturing and mining produce real wealth. High housing costs just redistribute that wealth to the non-participants.

Reduced cost of housing, of all types, in all sectors and for all people surely must be an unequivocaly good thing.

Land values would reduce accordingly and builders could continue to make a living providing homes people would

prefer, without being owned by the bank.