House Price Crash Forum

Apple Tumbles 6% After Hours

OnlyMe

Hideously overpriced stock. Leaving aside the arguments about how good or bad their products are, to have a market capitalization placing them as the second biggest company, and about to overtake Exxon for the top spot, is clearly ridiculous. Plus, it's hard to see the room for future growth - iPod sales peaked a long time ago, the iPhone is losing ground to Android, and the iPad is a dud. Where next - Apple TV?

Hideously overpriced stock.

But their boxes are white and sooo coool!

Leaving aside the arguments about how good or bad their products are, to have a market capitalization placing them as the second biggest company, and about to overtake Exxon for the top spot, is clearly ridiculous. Plus, it's hard to see the room for future growth - iPod sales peaked a long time ago, the iPhone is losing ground to Android, and the iPad is a dud. Where next - Apple TV?

Unfortunately, Google are snapping at their heels there as well. The first Google TV built by Sony is in US stores this week:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/sony/8062192/Google-TV-sets-unveiled-by-Sony.html

That Kool-Aid tastes deeeeelicous doesn't it! :lol::rolleyes:

When Apple first had a stand at Focus on Imaging (big camera show at the NEC) I had a mosey around.

F*** me but the staff didn't half creep me out. They came across as a brightly scrubbed, peppy hybrid of Heaven's Gate cultist and the Stepford Wives.

No joking, no exaggeration for comic affect, they were genuinely unnerving.

Are they like that at the Apple Stores?

People who aren't spods and just want to use their Mac computer not nurse it with reinstalls and spyware sweeps and driver fixes are 'sheep' that believe 'hype'.

I think you're believing a bit of hype there yourself. Reinstalls, driver fixes? Is it 1995 still?

You forgot to mention the essential no. 1 of any anti-Windows tirade, the BSOD (the thing my current PC only ever did when Shittylink broke the graphics card and motherboard when they delivered it).

Windows Mobile 7 got released last week - looks like an iphone killer in a variety of ways but probably on price alone.

Hmmm.

The 'release' was not actually accompanied by any retails product which is merely 'due by Christnas'

Any reason why this should be any different from any Microsofts previous failures in the mobile phone space.

This is a fiercely competitive area where Microsoft have been losing market share. In addition they have nowhere the leverage over phone manufacturers that have in the PC market.

With regards to Tablet computing Microsoft had something of the first mover advantage in this area as it was one of Bill Gates pet projects in the early part of the new Millennium yet they notably failed to make it fly.

I agree that Apple may be under the cosh going forward but it is far from certain that redmond wil be the victors

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

I doubt anyone can make a credible prediction of what will account for the majority of their sales in 10 years time, much less how much profit they can be expected to make. I am especially sure no-one could have predicted 10 years ago what they would be making their money on now.

Once Jobs leaves or pops off, Apple will lose The Shiny again and probably revert to being on life-support.

Apple have lost the plot a bit.

Perhaps the best product they sell is their Ipod Touch, but even that is bloody expensive considering the base model costs £190 and that has only 8gb of memory.

They have moved massively up-market now, so much so that I dont kind consider them a mass market brand anymore.

For instance the new Iphone costs around £600 all in all, how can the average person afford £600 for a phone that will probably last 2-3 years and then die?

The ipod nano has been ruined... WTF!.....

overview_gallery_silver20100901.jpg

Apple is hating is kind of funny.

iPad sucks. Rip-off of iPad by faceless competitor 'rocks'.

Android started out as a crap S60/Blackberry type OS but since ripping off the iPhone it 'rocks'.

People who aren't spods and just want to use their Mac computer not nurse it with reinstalls and spyware sweeps and driver fixes are 'sheep' that believe 'hype'.

Despite the fact that you can walk into an Apple store and spend as long as you like using the products, people only buy them because they are stupid and believe 'Apple marketing'.

Well lets not forget one very very important fact. Apple were going out of business with no one buying their products (macs), until someone decided to market them with different coloured cases. So yes, they are aimed at stupid people who buy marketing.

I think you're believing a bit of hype there yourself. Reinstalls, driver fixes? Is it 1995 still?

You forgot to mention the essential no. 1 of any anti-Windows tirade, the BSOD (the thing my current PC only ever did when Shittylink broke the graphics card and motherboard when they delivered it).

It was the power supply on one of mine, adds new meaning to "drop" shipping.

Mhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8072268/Apples-Steve-Jobs-iPad-is-like-having-a-tiger-by-the-tail.html

Consumers bought 4.2 million iPads in the last quarter, slightly less than Wall Street analysts had forecast, but enough to see Apple notch $20bn of sales in a quarter for the first time in its history.

In a rare appearance on a call with the Wall Street analysts who track the company, Mr Jobs said "we're already seeing tremendous interest in the iPad from education and, to my surprise, from business. It's getting grabbed out of our hands.

Still had a record quarter then?

Well lets not forget one very very important fact. Apple were going out of business with no one buying their products (macs), until someone decided to market them with different coloured cases. So yes, they are aimed at stupid people who buy marketing.

Erm, you forget the tiny weeny detail that they also introduced a new operating system, which even die-hard Windows Fans have to admit is a strong competitor to XP/Vista/7.

I admit that I don't understand all these Mac vs. Windows wars. Macs are appropriate for some categories of buyers, PC are suited to others. Why can't everyone just accept it and grow up?

Erm, you forget the tiny weeny detail that they also introduced a new operating system, which even die-hard Windows Fans have to admit is a strong competitor to XP/Vista/7.

New operating system ? MacOS ? It's essentially Unix. Which dates back to 1969.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic OS, I use various forms Centos/Ubuntu/FreeBSD every day, but I woudln't say it's a "new operating system" by any measure.

Edited by exiges

Some of their stuff is great and some of it is stupid. 200,000 apps on iTunes compared to 50,000 on the Android plaform...have you seen most of them? They are quite literally useless in 90%+ of cases and the few dozen that aren't crap are on both platforms anyway - well, Android has free Google turn-by-turn Sat nav which is worrying Apple.

Some of their stuff is great and some of it is stupid. 200,000 apps on iTunes compared to 50,000 on the Android plaform...have you seen most of them? They are quite literally useless in 90%+ of cases and the few dozen that aren't crap are on both platforms anyway - well, Android has free Google turn-by-turn Sat nav which is worrying Apple.

Father of my son's friend showed me two apps he'd recently bought at the weekend for his Iphone. One made sounds of various animals. All you had to do was click a picture of the bird/monkey/pig/goat etc. The other looked up your first name in a small dbase and told you it's meaning/origin. Fantastic value and fun at 1.99€ each.

Isn't technology wonderful ! :rolleyes:

PS. He is a techie geek.

PPS. This demo didn't encourage me to run out and buy an Iphone first thing Monday. B)

• 1 month later...

Father of my son's friend showed me two apps he'd recently bought at the weekend for his Iphone. One made sounds of various animals. All you had to do was click a picture of the bird/monkey/pig/goat etc. The other looked up your first name in a small dbase and

Somehow I have managed to survive without this Apple-tastic stuff! :blink:

Edited by MrPin