House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Apple Tumbles 6% After Hours

So, it looks like expectations for Apple got ahead of what even the Cupertino, Calif. giant was able to deliver. The shares are down more than 6% after hours. So what is the problem?

1. Android

2. iPad has run out of steam after the initial mania.

Well Samsung are about to sell their Android based tablet to rival the Ipad

I would have considered the Galaxy Tab but a 7" tablet costing more than Apple's 10 inch tablet? Seems overpriced, even compared to an Apple product.

1. Android

2. iPad has run out of steam after the initial mania.

Any evidence of the latter (besides anecdotal)?

I also think there's limits to what Android can offer, so Apple will continue to have a major slice of the increasing pie. Windows might be more of a genuine threat to Apple right now.

After the initial rush, I haven't seen anyone buying an iPad in my techie life either. Like my ebook reader, it's used a lot for a bit, then I just went back to the netbook.

Windows Mobile 7 got released last week - looks like an iphone killer in a variety of ways but probably on price alone.

Not to mention that it's a pain to develop for the iPhone, requiring a Macintosh (or Hackintosh). This has helped Mac sales enormously, so if the iPhone suffers expect Mac sales to fall fast too.

PC/Windows computers outnumber Macs by a very large degree.

I also think there's limits to what Android can offer, so Apple will continue to have a major slice of the increasing pie. Windows might be more of a genuine threat to Apple right now.

So limits apply to Android, but iOS is limitless.

That Kool-Aid tastes deeeeelicous doesn't it! :lol::rolleyes:

Not anecdotal.

The after-hours selloff may also have been influenced by underwhelming sales of Apple's new tablet computer - the iPad, which came it at just 4.2 million.

That represents a rise of just 28% on the previous quarter, which was when the company first launched the new product.

Not to mention that it's a pain to develop for the iPhone, requiring a Macintosh (or Hackintosh). This has helped Mac sales enormously, so if the iPhone suffers expect Mac sales to fall fast too.

PC/Windows computers outnumber Macs by a very large degree.

Yes, 750,000 WM7 software development kits have been downloaded. Give it a year and the new WM phone will be a market leader.

Yes, 750,000 WM7 software development kits have been downloaded. Give it a year and the new WM phone will be a market leader.

Just like every other windows mobile phone has been so well recieved.

WM1 - Microsoft say best ever OS for phone - sales nil

WM2 - Microsoft say best ever OS for Phone - Sales nil

WM3 - Microsoft say best ever OS for Phone - Sales nil

WM4 - Microsoft say best ever OS for Phone - Sales nil

WM5 - Microsoft say best ever OS for Phone - Sales nil

You get the idea.

After the initial rush, I haven't seen anyone buying an iPad in my techie life either. Like my ebook reader, it's used a lot for a bit, then I just went back to the netbook.

Google has licensed its development environment to loads of phone makers wheras Apple strictly controls the use of its software to Apple only products. There are fewer applications on Android at the moment granted, but because they can run on a lot of different phone hardware means it allows them to get more attractive licensing deals.

Also, Android is sold in more countries by more networks than Apples iPhone. Don't forget Google has a ton of money and very smart people who can quite easily ape Apple's infrastructure and probably go one better with unparalleled server technology (after all that's what Google does best) and some potential killer apps of its own.

"Ooh dear - isn't it dreadful! The stock price is off 5.7%"

i.e. back to where it was last Tuesday. Possible conclusion, maybe it was just a temporary bubble in the price that has now popped (if only partially).

As with looking at house prices, looking at short term reductions (e.g. 20% off current asking price) is typically meaningless. What is more important is the price relative to where it was, and, by implication, what might more reasonably thought of as a long term equilibrium price level (e.g. price in 1997 adjusted for growth in earnings of typical buyers and/or 40% of peak value).

Apple is hating is kind of funny.

iPad sucks. Rip-off of iPad by faceless competitor 'rocks'.

Android started out as a crap S60/Blackberry type OS but since ripping off the iPhone it 'rocks'.

People who aren't spods and just want to use their Mac computer not nurse it with reinstalls and spyware sweeps and driver fixes are 'sheep' that believe 'hype'.

Despite the fact that you can walk into an Apple store and spend as long as you like using the products, people only buy them because they are stupid and believe 'Apple marketing'.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

"Ooh dear - isn't it dreadful! The stock price is off 5.7%"

i.e. back to where it was last Tuesday. Possible conclusion, maybe it was just a temporary bubble in the price that has now popped (if only partially).

As with looking at house prices, looking at short term reductions (e.g. 20% off current asking price) is typically meaningless. What is more important is the price relative to where it was, and, by implication, what might more reasonably thought of as a long term equilibrium price level (e.g. price in 1997 adjusted for growth in earnings of typical buyers and/or 40% of peak value).

True but thought the price move was interesting in these hyper elevated ZIRP/QE/pomo/black box driven markets.

Edited by OnlyMe

Apple is hating is kind of funny.

iPad sucks. Rip-off of iPad by faceless competitor 'rocks'.

Yep, I still love my iPad (iMac, iPhone and iPod natch). Does what it should and nothing else and doesn't crash, just how I like it. After had a dozen PCs I switched to apple. Could a net book do a lot of what an iPad does? Yeah maybe but I love how iPad does it and happy to pay.

6% seems a lot though, maybe worth a punt first thing.

I'd sooner invest in lottery tickets.

Apple is a brand-management company with a minor sideline in making shiny gadgets. At a PE ratio of 20+ you would expect they can keep paying dividends for decades to come, but I doubt anyone can make a credible prediction of what will account for the majority of their sales in 10 years time, much less how much profit they can be expected to make. I am especially sure no-one could have predicted 10 years ago what they would be making their money on now.

It's not that long ago they nearly went bust, BTW.

I'd sooner invest in lottery tickets.

Apple is a brand-management company with a minor sideline in making shiny gadgets. At a PE ratio of 20+ you would expect they can keep paying dividends for decades to come, but I doubt anyone can make a credible prediction of what will account for the majority of their sales in 10 years time, much less how much profit they can be expected to make. I am especially sure no-one could have predicted 10 years ago what they would be making their money on now.

It's not that long ago they nearly went bust, BTW.

I meant as a day trade to catch the bounce back. I dont do long term because I dont know enough about digging through company figures and reports to be sure of a pick.