House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

macfarlan

Poverty In The Uk. How Much Do You Know?

I gave up after stupid question 1.

How many people live in poverty in the uk?

They then give the answer (shock horror) as 1 in 5...the worst of the options.

But in the 'small print' it mentions it is relative poverty...which means that 1 in 5 is pretty much baked in the cake.

What form of poverty were you thinking of?

Today's definition of 'poverty' is pathetic. I grew up in a single parent family in the 70s and had far less stuff than most of those allegedly in poverty. Don't really think having a black and white TV and never getting what I asked for at Christmas really messed me up.

Poverty is not having enough food or shelter. Very few people in the UK genuinely, unavoidably fall into this category

6 out of a possible 10

Not bad, but there's room for improvement and we know a good place to start. Visit our microsite to find out more about spending, cuts, and poverty.

What a condescending load of crap. Its like top trumps. Lots of stats, no context for those stats.

Still good fodder for GCSE brain morons, i suppose.

Today's definition of 'poverty' is pathetic. I grew up in a single parent family in the 70s and had far less stuff than most of those allegedly in poverty. Don't really think having a black and white TV and never getting what I asked for at Christmas really messed me up.

Poverty is not having enough food or shelter. Very few people in the UK genuinely, unavoidably fall into this category

What do 'most of those allegedly in poverty' have, and how do you know this?

Thanks.

From your link; The poverty threshold, or poverty line, is the minimum level of income deemed necessary to achieve an adequate standard of living in a given country.[1] In practice, like the definition of poverty, the official or common understanding of the poverty line is significantly higher in developed countries than in developing countries.[1]

The quiz is quite easy once you work out the VI/political bias behind it.

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation

Quote:

About us

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation is an endowed charity that funds a large, UK-wide research and development programme. We seek to understand the root causes of social problems, to identify ways of overcoming them, and to show how social needs can be met in practice.

Oh goody - relative poverty again. Guess what, if every household got 10 times more money, there would still be the same 1 in 5 suffering relative poverty.

What is the obsession with CHILD poverty. Is a child's life more important than an adult's? When a child turns 18, is it then acceptable for them to live in poverty? When you take a child out of poverty, you are actually taking their parents out of poverty. A child has very little concept or worries about money. How many times have you seen an expensive toy given to a child, who then goes on to play with the box it came in? A child with less will learn to appreciate and look after what they have.

How I hate relative poverty.

In terms of relative poverty, there may be more people living in poverty in the UK than several african countries. This proves that relative poverty is nonsense.

Poverty in most of the world is often defined as those on less than $1.25 per day. People on your link can be classified as in poverty despite 'earning' more than 50 times this threshold. (to say nothing of the fact that many of the people who are in cash relative poverty are time rich, having all of the time in the world to do whatever they want).

Never before have people had it so good. Nowadays, the poorest people in the world (via the internet) have better access to information than President Kennedy.

6 out of a possible 10

Not bad, but there's room for improvement and we know a good place to start. Visit our microsite to find out more about spending, cuts, and poverty.

What a condescending load of crap. Its like top trumps. Lots of stats, no context for those stats.

Still good fodder for GCSE brain morons, i suppose.

I got 6 out of 10. Learned some things too.

Some people unfortunately don't want their cosy world views challenged.

What form of poverty were you thinking of?

The NL form of poverty which defines the worst off 20% as "in poverty".

tim

How I hate relative poverty.

In terms of relative poverty, there may be more people living in poverty in the UK than several african countries. This proves that relative poverty is nonsense.

Relative poverty is a useful term, since it addresses the extent to which a person can join in with society,

Peter.

What do 'most of those allegedly in poverty' have, and how do you know this?

Here is the UK 'official' definition of poverty:

The official definition of the poverty line in Britain is any family living on less than 60 per cent of the median income, which is measured by halving the difference between the highest and lowest incomes

Not really that bad if you ask me. Like I said lots of people had a far less expendable income when I grew up (probably even less in the 50s etc) and it wasn't so bad.

Poverty is so often used as an excuse for bad parenting. - the two are not inseperable

Oh goody - relative poverty again. Guess what, if every household got 10 times more money, there would still be the same 1 in 5 suffering relative poverty.

If little Jhonnys mum can only afford to drive him to school in a Porsche while the other kids turn up in Ferraris then little Jhonny is in relative poverty.

Here is the UK 'official' definition of poverty:

Not really that bad if you ask me. Like I said lots of people had a far less expendable income when I grew up (probably even less in the 50s etc) and it wasn't so bad.

"Lots of people" so you weren't relatively poor,

Peter.

I don't like the term relative poverty either.

However, since it exists I prefer to see it as a broad sociological term rather than a strict financial classification.

Many of the people in "relative poverty" will feel disenfranchised and seperate from society. Whether this is their own fault or the fault of society the end result is to erode the social fabric. Nobody is starving but there are plenty of angry, disatisfied, alcoholic, badly-educated, impolite, rob-from-their-own-grannies, chavvy *****s knocking about.

6 out of 10 for me.

Yes, poverty is relative and we grew up in the 70's with very little in the way of material goods, but back then I think we weren't raped by utility bills, council tax and petrol prices.

I don't like the term relative poverty either.

However, since it exists I prefer to see it as a broad sociological term rather than a strict financial classification.

Many of the people in "relative poverty" will feel disenfranchised and seperate from society. Whether this is their own fault or the fault of society the end result is to erode the social fabric. Nobody is starving but there are plenty of angry, disatisfied, alcoholic, badly-educated, impolite, rob-from-their-own-grannies, chavvy *****s knocking about.

There are plenty of well educated people with decent jobs who are angry, dissatisfied, alcoholic and impolite. They just don't realise why they feel that way, any more than the chavs do.

The NL form of poverty which defines the worst off 20% as "in poverty".

tim

Thanks, but what is NL? Newfoundland and Labrador? Seriously, I don't know.

Relative poverty is a useful term, since it addresses the extent to which a person can join in with society,

Peter.

I agree.

"Lots of people" so you weren't relatively poor,

Peter.

Quite.

I learnt a lot taking the test too, and thought others might. I'm pleased some people here have.

There are plenty of well educated people with decent jobs who are angry, dissatisfied, alcoholic and impolite. They just don't realise why they feel that way, any more than the chavs do.

Probably because they just realised they're in relative poverty.

Or surrounded by others who are, and it rubs off.