House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mollyholly

Anyone Know About The Wichelstow Development In Swindon?

I am househunting in Wichelstow last week, and saw a few 4 beds/5beds houses in this development area.

They were talking about a lot of community areas such as country park, canal, etc.

Gardens are very very small but good size rooms inside.

Anybody already living in this estate area, could you let me know your thoughts regarding this area? We are starting a family soon so it is very important for us to find the right place this time.

Also, I need to travel to london daily, is it easy to get to the train station in swindon?

thank you very much for your input!

I am househunting in Wichelstow last week, and saw a few 4 beds/5beds houses in this development area.

They were talking about a lot of community areas such as country park, canal, etc.

Gardens are very very small but good size rooms inside.

Anybody already living in this estate area, could you let me know your thoughts regarding this area? We are starting a family soon so it is very important for us to find the right place this time.

Also, I need to travel to london daily, is it easy to get to the train station in swindon?

thank you very much for your input!

During the 08 crash development of Wichelstow (an entire new village of 4000+ dwellings being built from scratch near swindon for those of you that dont know) ceased completely and didnt restart until a year later, so I would be careful about any promises for future development on that site because as soon as the market dips they will just cease all new development again.

On the plus side, I would think they are pretty desperate to sell on this development because swindon has loads of empty new build properties all over the town and things can only get "better" B) once the slide in prices starts to take hold. I'm keeping an eye on this place myself but not interested in buying for at least 6 months maybe a year, by that time they will be giving them away.

Oh and train to paddington is every 20 mins or so, takes 45 ish minutes, sit down before you check the peak time charges on the web :-).

---

My advice would be to keep your powder dry and rent somewhere around here for 6 months to really suss out the area: swindon is a renters paradise - 4 bed detached can be had for around 800/month.

Edited by goldbug9999

During the 08 crash development of Wichelstow (an entire new village of 4000+ dwellings being built from scratch near swindon for those of you that dont know) ceased completely and didnt restart until a year later, so I would be careful about any promises for future development on that site because as soon as the market dips they will just cease all new development again.

On the plus side, I would think they are pretty desperate to sell on this development because swindon has loads of empty new build properties all over the town and things can only get "better" B) once the slide in prices starts to take hold. I'm keeping an eye on this place myself but not interested in buying for at least 6 months maybe a year, by that time they will be giving them away.

Oh and train to paddington is every 20 mins or so, takes 45 ish minutes, sit down before you check the peak time charges on the web :-).

---

Hi, really thanks for the reply. very useful information.

I understand the ticket price might be high and the journey will be long, but we are in recession and that's the only job I can get and happy with at the moment.

By the way, is it convinient to drive from Wicherstowe to the town centre train station, early in the morning around 6:30ish? :)

My advice would be to keep your powder dry and rent somewhere around here for 6 months to really suss out the area: swindon is a renters paradise - 4 bed detached can be had for around 800/month.

Molly,

Wichelstow was built on a flood plain.

Remember the big flood of July 2007? The fields, where these houses are now, looked like a lake - you could see no grass at all

Of course they may have sorted this with good drainage, but I certainly would think twice and look in other areas of Swindon.

Trains: The train station in Swindon (to London) is an easy route. It normally stops in Reading (sometimes via Didcot) then to Paddington. It's about 55 minutes from Swindon to Paddington.

Edited by OzzMosiz

Molly,

Wichelstow was built on a flood plain.

Remember the big flood of July 2007? The fields, where these houses are now, looked like a lake - you could see no grass at all

Of course they may have sorted this with good drainage, but I certainly would think twice and look in other areas of Swindon.

Trains: The train station in Swindon (to London) is an easy route. It normally stops in Reading (sometimes via Didcot) then to Paddington. It's about 55 minutes from Swindon to Paddington.

Thanks Ozz, I definitely remember the flood in 2007, I thought it only happened in Gloucestershier. Thanks for this heads up, I am going to re consider other area now. Thanks again!

Molly,

You are welcome. What sort of area are you looking for. I'm assuming you are looking around Swindon. Are there any *musts* in your search criteria??

hi Oz, this is the dream house I would like to own one day.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31486532.html

But the price is too high on this one at the moment.

Probably can afford it if it goes down by 20%,:)

Not familiar about the location.

4beds room with en-suite to the master, large sunny garden, nice location and easy to get to the train station I guess.

:rolleyes:

I also found this website useful to watch the properties:

www.home.co.uk

hi Oz, this is the dream house I would like to own one day.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31486532.html

But the price is too high on this one at the moment.

Probably can afford it if it goes down by 20%,:)

Not familiar about the location.

4beds room with en-suite to the master, large sunny garden, nice location and easy to get to the train station I guess.

:rolleyes:

I also found this website useful to watch the properties:

www.home.co.uk

Ah yes that is near Lawn area of Swindon. Very nice area it is too. I'd agree that it's a bit pricey, but very nice.

Most areas of Swindon have bus services so getting to the station won't be a problem.

If you are looking in the North Swindon area, avoid Penhill / Pinehurst / Gorse Hill

West Swindon avoid Toothill, Freshbrook and some areas of Grange Park

East Swindon avoid Park North & Park South and Eldene

I live in North Swindon in the Abbeymeads area - and have had 3 houses in that area over the past 10 years. Never had any issues and enjoy the area myself.

Edited by OzzMosiz