House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Self Employed Youth

How Much Would You Pay For A Property That Is Council Tax - Band A

In 1991 properties were valued, those up to £40000 we classed as Band A.

It's now 2010, how much would you pay for a Band A property.

Using the 'measuring worth' website;

In 2009, the relative worth of £40,000.00 from 1991 is:

£64,000.00

using the retail price index

£62,800.00

using the GDP deflator

£78,900.00

using the average earnings

£86,700.00

using the per capita GDP

£93,300.00

using the share of GDP

How much would you pay?

What would be 'fair' (as a maximum).

more people living with their mum posting again, I see.

A house's price is as much affected by the cost per month as the cost per se. You'll be waiting a very long time for house prices to fall back to RPI. I'd think that fair value today for a house that was 40K in 1991 is probably about £125K now. Maybe that will fall in the future to £100K if/when the market falls, but it's not going to get much lower than that (IMO of course).

I think you have to ask what you got for £40K in 1991..... not in the SE at least...... - it was a 3 bed semi in a lot of the country...

mr money saving expert has a council tax calculator somewhere showing this... can't find it at the moment though

Using it the band a property our local landlord bought should have been a band c... me thinks he really overpaid for it.

Grow up

most of the posters before me were giving ridiculous, stupid answers too. So why not carry it on ? Or did you only pick on mine because you disagreed with the sentiment of it ? Which is part of the point ..... the house prices today are subject to more variables than they were then, and the whole BTL thing has really changed it at the bottom, as the VIs would say, it's a new paradigm.

Or do you really think you'd only be willing to pay, for instance, RPI plus a quid ? For band A...... are you really suggesting that prices for property that was 40K in 1991 is fair value (to you) at £65K (or so). 20 years later (without going all Tokyo).

go back to rental yields. Let's say £550 a month for a top end of band A place. That's £6,600 gross yield. Allowing for what you can fix your finance at (about 5% or so on a BTL), that's a healthy return at £65K, to say the least. If we said the price (not value) was £100L, it's a gross 6.6% yield - lowish for me to sleep at night, but plenty to tempt lots of other people.... and that's the issue, the sums start to add up at a lot higher than a lot of HPC is willing to accept will be the case..... so they'll be waiting (and hence living with their mums) for a lot longer yet.....

No, I am not a bull.

Edited by Rachman

I bought one of these in 1989 for £29K and sold it for £31K in 1991.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-14027319.html?premiumA=true

They go for around £75K now

I bought one of these in 1989 for £29K and sold it for £31K in 1991.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-14027319.html?premiumA=true

They go for around £75K now

so, straightlining it, another third on the value (to allow for 30K to 40K band A limit) gets you give or take £100K..... - sounds realistic

Or, to flip it round, could you see that flat as being good value to buy at £48K or so. Which is what some HPCers should think it's worth...... (applying the logic above).

most of the posters before me were giving ridiculous, stupid answers too. So why not carry it on ? Or did you only pick on mine because you disagreed with the sentiment of it ? Which is part of the point ..... the house prices today are subject to more variables than they were then, and the whole BTL thing has really changed it at the bottom, as the VIs would say, it's a new paradigm.

Or do you really think you'd only be willing to pay, for instance, RPI plus a quid ? For band A...... are you really suggesting that prices for property that was 40K in 1991 is fair value (to you) at £65K (or so). 20 years later (without going all Tokyo).

go back to rental yields. Let's say £550 a month for a top end of band A place. That's £6,600 gross yield. Allowing for what you can fix your finance at (about 5% or so on a BTL), that's a healthy return at £65K, to say the least. If we said the price (not value) was £100L, it's a gross 6.6% yield - lowish for me to sleep at night, but plenty to tempt lots of other people.... and that's the issue, the sums start to add up at a lot higher than a lot of HPC is willing to accept will be the case..... so they'll be waiting (and hence living with their mums) for a lot longer yet.....

No, I am not a bull.

Whilst you're here - We discussed Nabeel Chowdery a while back. You'll have noticed he went bankrupt owing c. £70million. Happy days!

Whilst you're here - We discussed Nabeel Chowdery a while back. You'll have noticed he went bankrupt owing c. £70million. Happy days!

wasn't far out, was I ? :)

Isn't the shame what he's got away with already.... it's OK being bankrupt for £70M, but most bankrupts manage to offshore/squirrel/transfer at undervalue/spirit to relatives an awful lot that never gets recovered (like it should do) and will have paid out an awful lot in nonsense wages and fees to friends and family in the meantime ..... plus the rest of us have to pay for the idiots who lent to him.......

£64,000.00

£62,800.00

using the GDP deflator

£78,900.00

£86,700.00

using the per capita GDP

£93,300.00

using the share of GDP

How much would you pay?

House price calculator says 96K in the North through to 150K in G London and 170k in NI (but I think we can ignore that one!)

tim

Less than £40,000 using Polish workers building site pay.

Just to add that a house priced at £40,000 in 1991 would still have been approximately £40,000 in1997 when NuLabour took power - about the time that those cheap workers were starting to be used in numbers on building sites.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/graphs-average-house-price.php

According to that chart the price of the £40,000 house would now be about £80,000 (Nationwide).

Edited by billybong

£64,000.00

£62,800.00

using the GDP deflator

£78,900.00

£86,700.00

using the per capita GDP

£93,300.00

using the share of GDP

How much would you pay?

You know with a bit of polish and spin, you could turn this into a valuation paper that an investment bank might produce hoping to earn a $2M fairness opinion fee.

I am not being patronising.