House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Fears Wales Will Be Hardest Hit As Osborne Sharpens Axe

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/10/17/fears-wales-will-be-hardest-hit-as-osborne-sharpens-axe-91466-27486824/

BBC Wales is reporting the same thing now on the Daily Politics.

Severn Barrage to go, Electrification of the Swansea to Paddington rail link axed, the proposed Defence Training College at St. Athan to be axed.

Labour MPs are talking about the DVLA following the Newport Passport Office and being moved out of Wales - one Swansea MP pointing out that 38% of the workers in the city work for the Public Sector and most others are dependent on their businesses servicing those people.

Glad I don't own a house here.

Of course, it might not be as bad as everyone is making out. They may even increase Public Sector spending in Wales :blink:

Edit:

BBC Wales just asked that as house prices are falling perhaps the Welsh Assembly can now buy flats to rent out to AMs instead of giving the MP style housing benefits.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

It will be better once the 20th is done and everyone knows what's what. Right now it's just a panic.

Of course, the national motto is "the cuts must happen, but not to me".

It will be better once the 20th is done and everyone knows what's what. Right now it's just a panic.

Of course, the national motto is "the cuts must happen, but not to me".

Yes, I am actually looking forward to the 20th, and then the one in Wales in mid-Nov, as it will get the uncertainty out of the way.

Either it will be drastic cuts or not as bad as we all fear... or hope... and then many of us can plan stuff going forward re jobs, locations to live, buying/selling houses, etc.

The Scots will be just fine--they are even cutting prescription charges due to their surplus of wealth. The Brown legacy perhaps?

Free Uni fees to continue also perhaps as down South face massive rises.

Yes, I am actually looking forward to the 20th, and then the one in Wales in mid-Nov, as it will get the uncertainty out of the way.

Either it will be drastic cuts or not as bad as we all fear... or hope... and then many of us can plan stuff going forward re jobs, locations to live, buying/selling houses, etc.

It won't be as bad as people fear initially, just as the recession wasn't initially. People will jump to swift conclusions because they're thick and ill-informed.

Most of the people I know who were telling me the recession didn't hit them or this part of the world (I heard this twittish observation right through until about the middle of last year) have now lost their jobs.

The cuts will be a bit like death by a thousand cuts. A few redundancies, yes, and then years of recruitment freezes, below inflation pay awards, projects being shelved, etc.

In 3 years time...

RB, If Welsh and Scottish unis don't keep up with English universities, they will fade into nothingness - Welsh unis have been slipping down the leage tables for quite a while. They need to do something in response or they're doomed.

Edited by gruffydd

It won't be as bad as people fear initially, just as the recession wasn't initially. People will jump to swift conclusions because they're thick and ill-informed.

Most of the people I know who were telling me the recession didn't hit them or this part of the world (I heard this twittish observation right through until about the middle of last year) have now lost their jobs.

The cuts will be a bit like death by a thousand cuts. A few redundancies, yes, and then years of recruitment freezes, below inflation pay awards, projects being shelved, etc.

In 3 years time...

RB, If Welsh and Scottish unis don't keep up with English universities, they will fade into nothingness - Welsh unis have been slipping down the leage tables for quite a while. They need to do something in response or they're doomed.

Walking around Swansea you get the impression the Uni us going heck for leather to attract Chinese students... in the 1980s the city was full of Iranian and Iraqi students... even trained the guy who made the bomb for the first attack on the World Trade Centre.

Walking around Swansea you get the impression the Uni us going heck for leather to attract Chinese students... in the 1980s the city was full of Iranian and Iraqi students... even trained the guy who made the bomb for the first attack on the World Trade Centre.

It was a Mossad backed attack wot dun it!

Blaming it on Bin Laden was all false flag stuff to get the tanks rolling in the Middle East on the second 'modern' crusade!

Hardly a poster child for the Uni. I remember Patrick Stewart plugged Huddersfield Uni wasn't it. I think he was a good choice, bomber bad.

They better get the best marketing people in cos I reckon every uni in Britain will be trying to do the same.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/10/17/fears-wales-will-be-hardest-hit-as-osborne-sharpens-axe-91466-27486824/

Severn Barrage to go, Electrification of the Swansea to Paddington rail link axed, the proposed Defence Training College at St. Athan to be axed.

Labour MPs are talking about the DVLA following the Newport Passport Office and being moved out of Wales - one Swansea MP pointing out that 38% of the workers in the city work for the Public Sector and most others are dependent on their businesses servicing those people.

Glad I don't own a house here.

Of course, it might not be as bad as everyone is making out. They may even increase Public Sector spending in Wales :blink:

Edit:

BBC Wales just asked that as house prices are falling perhaps the Welsh Assembly can now buy flats to rent out to AMs instead of giving the MP style housing benefits.

Great, move it to London. Plenty of more room down there eh. The banksters can run it. They can give out licences to anyone who asks without checking the paperwork first. That would be cheaper and quicker.

Hardly a poster child for the Uni. I remember Patrick Stewart plugged Huddersfield Uni wasn't it. I think he was a good choice, bomber bad.

I was not suggesting that training a bomber was a good thing for any college.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks that the Severn barrage was ever going to go ahead, it is just too environmentally unsound.

And (non) electrification of the rail line is going to make a minor difference to the local econony

I was not suggesting that training a bomber was a good thing for any college.

Didn't mean to infer that you thought that, sorry.

He was a crap bomber anyway, didn't he fail badly, just some damage in the car park. Kids in Salford damage car parks regularly.

Didn't mean to infer that you thought that, sorry.

He was a crap bomber anyway, didn't he fail badly, just some damage in the car park. Kids in Salford damage car parks regularly.

'Some damage in the car park'?

750 New York Fire dept vehicles attended the 1993 bombing. 6 people died; 1042 were injured. Several hundred cars destroyed, and 6000 tons to debris to move. A 100 ft hole blown through five sub levels.

Source: Reeve, Simon: The New Jackals. Pub:Deutsch 1999

'Some damage in the car park'?

750 New York Fire dept vehicles attended the 1993 bombing. 6 people died; 1042 were injured. Several hundred cars destroyed, and 6000 tons to debris to move. A 100 ft hole blown through five sub levels.

Source: Reeve, Simon: The New Jackals. Pub:Deutsch 1999

The 1042 people were injured during evacuation according to news sites.

The intention was to topple one tower into another. Thankfully got it badly wrong. So yes 'some damage in the car park'.

The Scots will be just fine--they are even cutting prescription charges due to their surplus of wealth. The Brown legacy perhaps?

Free Uni fees to continue also perhaps as down South face massive rises.

The scots are talking about full independance to avoid the UKs cuts.

Good luck with that.