House Price Crash Forum

Uk Govt Grew By 60% Over The Labour Years

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

Frazer Nelson has an interesting aside that over the Labour years the govt grew by 60%, I assume he means spending the article isn't too clear but he claims the only person in history who grew the state faster over a decade wore a moustache and barked orders in German.

Is he correct on this?

If he is has everyone's life got better or does everyone feel that they are in debt by 60% more?

HOLA442

And as the state grew 60%, the real private wealth creating sector shrunk.

Rather than create an environment for private industries to flourish to real global demand, the public sector imposed itself on the private, forcing firms to buy into the promise of public sector contracts. It was a ponzi scheme of the highest order.

Labour's economic policies were so short sighted and aimed at one thing only - re-election.

Edited by ringledman

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Sadly there was fertile ground in a populace now so hopelessly hobbled that huge swathees of it truly believe they have rights to jobs, lifestyles, long life and so on.

There will always be jobs, even if we have to employ each other to go to war against ourselves. Or employ ourselves to go to war with each other. It depends on whom we wish to have the wealth.

HOLA446

If he is has everyone's life got better or does everyone feel that they are in debt by 60% more?

If you're unemployed/on disability or one of the god knows how many immigrants over the last 13 years then probably yes.

Otherwise no.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

And as the state grew 60%, the real private wealth creating sector shrunk.

Rather than create an environment for private industries to flourish to real global demand, the public sector imposed itself on the private, forcing firms to buy into the promise of public sector contracts. It was a ponzi scheme of the highest order.

Labour's economic policies were so short sighted and aimed at one thing only - re-election.

+ 1

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Wealth has to be produced first.

That is the main bit the left doesn't get.

And the highest paying jobs in this country do not create wealth, they merely control and extract it.

The wealth creating jobs are for the most part low paid.

How are we to create wealth when we reward the wealth creators the least and the extractors of wealth the most.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

And the highest paying jobs in this country do not create wealth, they merely control and extract it.

The wealth creating jobs are for the most part low paid.

How are we to create wealth when we reward the wealth creators the least and the extractors of wealth the most.

I am not sure I understand what you mean there.

Would it be by any chance that you think that only manual labour creates wealth? If so, that is not what I meant, or think.

Do you?

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Frazer Nelson has an interesting aside that over the Labour years the govt grew by 60%, I assume he means spending the article isn't too clear but he claims the only person in history who grew the state faster over a decade wore a moustache and barked orders in German.

Is he correct on this?

I presume he means real terms Total Managed Expenditure

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/pesa_2010_complete.pdf page 59 Table 4.1 Public expenditure aggregates, 1967–68 to 2010–11

1997-98 = £419bn

2009-10 = £669bn

which is an increase of 60%

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Sigh.

Usual idiot claptrap.

Labour ran with tory policies.

The reason people are dependant on the state is that all the non-state jobs have moved to eastern europe and the far east. This happened because house prices rose to the point that it pushed wages so high that every job could be done cheaper abroad.

In the public sector jobs have started to be moved to india.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

GDP has increased by 68% in that time

GDP includes government spending; it's an illusion if that growth is helped on by debt fuelled spending.

The last time there was a budget surplus was 2002 I believe (someone can confirm that).

Of course, we all know the other part of the equation - consumer spending - involved household debt rising dramatically to £1.4t.

Fantasy budgeting, fantasy economics I'm afraid.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Is he correct on this?

...as I opened the thread a I guessed it was "the man with the moustache"....how appropriate for the Blair and Brown years ....I knew these people were evil..... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne