House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
treestump

Dollars V Pound

Can anyone tell me why the U.K. Pound is so strong against other currencies. Is it because of clever book keeping or is 90% of the talk down of our economy a load of rubbish. I am perplexed.

Can anyone tell me why the U.K. Pound is so strong against other currencies. Is it because of clever book keeping or is 90% of the talk down of our economy a load of rubbish. I am perplexed.

- The dollar is doomed and has gone down by 30% against many currencies since 2000

- The pound is down from above 1.60 Euro in 2000 to below 1.5 Euro today (approx 8%) and it has fallen even further against the Swiss Franc. The attached chart shows how much major currencies have lost against gold. Gold5yr.png

So not that strong I am afraid. What keeps it from going down quicker?

- North sea oil and gas (not for much longer I am afraid..... production peaked in 1999 and is declining rapidly)

- Britain is a tax haven for foreigners

- London is the world's most active foreign currency dealing center, with over 50% of the world market. (http://fxtrade.oanda.com/currency_trading/fxmarket.html)

Anyway the declining oil/gas production, the worsening trade balance and the economy on the brink of a recession will soon make the pound join the dollar on the way down.

post-2055-1126305633_thumb.jpg

Edited by cgnao

Relativley high interest rates. However, if UK rates fall below 2% above Euro rates, as many predict, then the Pound will probably come under sustained selling pressure. Ceratinly it appears that many UK manufacturers need a significantly lower Pound.