House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paranoidmick

Sold Signs Means Diddly

:P:lol::D

I posted my anecdotal tale of surprise 2 months ago. We tried to negotiate a further £100 pm reduction for another years contract (after securing a £200 reduction when we signed last year-Are you reading TTRTR?).

LL said 'no'. we give 3 months notice and bloody hell he sells the thing in just 4 weeks, flying in the face of my opinion of the market.

Now we have been asked to allow a viewing because the sale has fallen through. I do not know the reason but its all off!

I mean who in their right mind would buy now or anytime soon? I'm not in my right mind, paranoid you see, and even i wouldn't be that mad!

I have my eyes on other properties but am thinking about renting month by month, but not for the amount that the LL wants, he will get nobody on a short term basis and will be out of pocket every week that this sits empty.

Now anyone have any suggestions as to how cheeky i should be? £200 less £300 less perhaps even 50% off.

TTRTR how about you, any thoughts? Perhaps he should try to raise the rent, that might not work though, not in this climate.

There are three houses we are considering as alternatives 2 have indicated a willingness to drop £200 but I have not broached the subject third due to this change of circumstance.

Shortage of housing my a£5e, Time to raise the rents likewise.

Off to stick some pencils up my nose , put some underpants on my head and say wibble, but still not mad enough to buy!!!!!!

:blink:

:P  :lol:  :D

I posted my anecdotal tale of surprise 2 months ago. We tried to negotiate a further £100 pm reduction for another years contract (after securing a £200 reduction when we signed last year-Are you reading TTRTR?).

LL said 'no'. we give 3 months notice and bloody hell he sells the thing in just 4 weeks, flying in the face of my opinion of the market.

Now we have been asked to allow a viewing because the sale has fallen through. I do not know the reason but its all off!

I mean who in their right mind would buy now or anytime soon? I'm not in my right mind, paranoid you see, and even i wouldn't be that mad!

I have my eyes on other properties but am thinking about renting month by month, but not for the amount that the LL wants, he will get nobody on a short term basis and will be out of pocket every week that this sits empty.

Now anyone have any suggestions as to how cheeky i should be? £200 less £300 less perhaps even 50% off.

TTRTR how about you, any thoughts? Perhaps he should try to raise the rent, that might not work though, not in this climate.

There are three houses we are considering as alternatives 2 have indicated a willingness to drop £200 but  I have not broached the subject third due to this change of circumstance.

Shortage of housing my a£5e, Time to raise the rents likewise.

Off to stick some pencils up my nose , put some underpants on my head and say wibble, but still not mad enough to buy!!!!!!

:blink:

:lol::lol:

Your landlord said no & you post as if you've achieved a victory and in the post you tell us you want to stay. Looks like you haven't got a leg to stand on.

:lol:  :lol:

Your landlord said no & you post as if you've achieved a victory and in the post you tell us you want to stay. Looks like you haven't got a leg to stand on.

:D

Think you have missed the point of my little tale.

'Sold' signs mean nothing at present. Some go up, sit in place for 3 months and metomorphise into 'For sale' signs- or disappear altogether with no move having taken place. That distorts the naive individuals' view of the market. Yes, some property is selling (its a mad mad world) but, sold signs which are sold subject to contract which fall through give a distorted picture of the market.

On the small estate where i currently rent(about 40 detached houses in all) three properties fall into this catagory whilst in addition this house still shows 'For Sale' whilst viewers are coming to inspect. Since we moved in 15 months ago, i have seen 5 'for sale' boards, 3 have, at some time, changed to 'Sold' but only one has resulted in an actual exchange taking place.

I want to stay renting whilst it is cheaper than buying , but it worries me not where i rent. Price is the key driver. For similar properties i will select the cheapest, that means competition for the LLs and lower monthly cost for me. There is no shortage of property.

I dont mind staying in this property if the price is right, otherwise i'm off. I negotiated a £200 to begin with and if i dont get a better deal i will seek a landlord who will want 18 months with no voids. My prediction is that 18 months on, the prices out there will have reached a sane level following the collapse of the Denial stage,and buying will be a sensible option.

I have found 3 alternative rental properies 1, 2 and 5 miles away respectively (having moved 1.2 miles on the last occasion-limited upheaval to family). Staying here at a silly price would be sensible, after all alterernatives are always available at least one of the current ones has been advertised for 3 months+. If i get a significant cost saving of £2-300 off the rental whilst i stay(as the LL would be losing for every week the place doesnt sell if i move out at the end of the month) then great , its money in my pocket. Is that not a victory for me?. Actually the post was not meant to be victiolic, merely an observation of the times and how they are a-changing.

What should my LL do? Take whats on offer or cut off nose to spite face?

My post was also trying to illustrate that rents are there to be negotiate because there is so much property available, supply and demand and all that.

paranoid mick.

i can see where ttrtr was coming from. you kinda confused us a bit by writing stuff about your rent run in with the landlord in the same post.

as for the main point, about the for sale signs, i agree. i've been watching loads of stuff around north cambs get sold, sit there for ages then appear back on the market with multiple vendors.

it's the [for sale] sign of the times :)

hope you can negotiate a win-win with your landlord.