House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Authoritarian

Another Aid Worker In Trouble

The man, who has not yet been named, was taken along with his Somali fixer from a town near the Ethiopian border on Friday, according to the charity.

link

Is anyone else suffering from aid-worker-in-trouble fatigue? Every week there's a new story about some (probably lefty) aid worker that's taken it upon themselves to go and save the world one African orphan at a time, then they wonder why they run into trouble.

13 years of Labour's multi-culturalism have softened people's heads, and unfortunately these charidy types are having to re-learn the hard way.

link

Is anyone else suffering from aid-worker-in-trouble fatigue? Every week there's a new story about some (probably lefty) aid worker that's taken it upon themselves to go and save the world one African orphan at a time, then they wonder why they run into trouble.

13 years of Labour's multi-culturalism have softened people's heads, and unfortunately these charidy types are having to re-learn the hard way.

I wouldn't characterise them as Labour supporters,they are much more left wing than that.The ones in my experience have tended more towards LibDemmery.I can only guess what their view of Clegg is.Maybe this is why only Foreign Aid got spared the cuts.The "Somali Fixer" is probably viewing the show hut even as we speak with his bonus in his pocket.

link

A few of these incidents have been accused of having a connection to covert operations by western security services.

The CARE case in Kosovo was one that was outed - Linky but there are organisation operating in Afghanistan.

There has always been a loose connection between aid workers, journalists and the real spies all wanting to get something for nothing, mostly information. The problem is all are then suspected of spying and little evidence is then required to convince the local paramilitaries to slaughter them.

link

Definitely.  

As someone who believe we should look after the UK first, I have little sympathy for people that go off helping foreign countries, in the end they just become developed economies and then threaten us both economically and militarily.

I blame Richard Nixon, if he hadn't open the doors to China we'd be in a much better state right now.  We should probably be arresting most of our high tech firms for treason, whose idea was it to give semi-conductor technology to our future enemies?

May be I parody myself, but I do think we have sacrificed the national interest to bit too far.

People in this country are naive about the existence of true evil.

Throw in political correctness and a big dose of ego - I am so wonderful and important that I can change the world - and it ends up often being the case that the men who are often ridiculed by such people are the very men who end up risking their lives to save them.

Throw in political correctness and a big dose of ego - I am so wonderful and important that I can change the world - and it ends up often being the case that the men who are often ridiculed by such people are the very men who end up risking their lives to save them.

To be fair, this isn't a recent change: in Victorian times our missionaries provided many a cannibal tribe with a good source of food for their cooking pot.

and it ends up often being the case that the men who are often ridiculed by such people are the very men who end up risking their lives to save them.

A very good point nicely made.

A very good point nicely made.

Norman Kember was a prime example of this:

Speaking at Heathrow airport after being reunited with his wife Pat, the retired professor issued a statement to address criticism that he had failed to thank his rescuers. “I do not believe that a lasting peace is achieved by armed force, but I pay tribute to their courage and thank those who played a part in my rescue,” he said.

Kember was responding to remarks by General Sir Mike Jackson, chief of the general staff, who had suggested he had failed to express his gratitude to the troops who risked their lives to rescue him and two other hostages after four months in captivity.

link

If they really wanted to help they should keep their job at home, save up some money and sent it out to employ some locals to build the schools and dig the wells.

People in this country are naive about the existence of true evil.

+1

Chechnya, Congo, Iraq, Afghanistan - go anywhere near these sorts of places and you very well get more than you bargained for. Go jogging in Nairobi in the vicintity of the major hotels, and expect to get attacked by a teen wielding a syringe of blood who may just decide to stick you even though you've handed over your wallet. Ffs, I even know people who have been chased for miles and repeatedly shot at by bedouin intent on murdering and robbing them in Egypt (on a back road between Dahab and Sharm).

There are a lot of places in this world where if you go off the beaten track you may end up beaten black or worse, appearing on a snuff video.

+1

Chechnya, Congo, Iraq, Afghanistan - go anywhere near these sorts of places and you very well get more than you bargained for. Go jogging in Nairobi in the vicintity of the major hotels, and expect to get attacked by a teen wielding a syringe of blood who may just decide to stick you even though you've handed over your wallet. Ffs, I even know people who have been chased for miles and repeatedly shot at by bedouin intent on murdering and robbing them in Egypt (on a back road between Dahab and Sharm).

There are a lot of places in this world where if you go off the beaten track you may end up beaten black or worse, appearing on a snuff video.

Seems like a good reason not to go to any of these places to me.

I have to admit that I'm getting rather pissed off with hearing about these people. If people choose to go to dangerous areas of the world then they can't really complain if they get hurt. Especially when the people they are trying to help are usually the ones trying to hurt them.

I have to admit that I'm getting rather pissed off with hearing about these people. If people choose to go to dangerous areas of the world then they can't really complain if they get hurt. Especially when the people they are trying to help are usually the ones trying to hurt them.

Replace 'dangerous areas of the world' to 'Liverpool' and I agree. :P

link

Do-gooders come to no good! Tragic news, pass the port !