House Price Crash Forum

Meanwhile, Across Le Channel

Kyoto

HOLA441

Fuel supply to Paris airports cut amid pension strikes

Look at this for backbone!

Fuel supplies to Paris' main airports through a major pipeline have been cut off amid strikes over pension reforms.

The company that operates the pipeline told French media that the capital's main airport, Charles de Gaulle, could run out of fuel as early as next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11549694

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Good to see the French are accepting reality. All they want to do is move the retirement age from 60 to 62. The idea that you have to work for a living seems to have alluded them. Good luck to Sarkozy with more "reforms"!

Please tell me where in their (and our) economy there is a shortage of workers that will add up to 5million+ (because thats the size of the economically inactive), and what goods and services we are lacking.

Or could it possibly be that france's (our) need for them to work longer is no more than an outcome of our current economic and monetary system?

HOLA446

Good to see the French are accepting reality. All they want to do is move the retirement age from 60 to 62. The idea that you have to work for a living seems to have alluded them. Good luck to Sarkozy with more "reforms"!

Not quite. Most French people accept the 60 to 62 update. But the Govt also want to change the age that you can retire on full pension from 65 to 67. For all social groups.

If you don't work until 67, you will receive up to 30% less than the full pension, in spite of paying in for 95% of the time (eg. if you want to retire at 65, like now).

The young have now started protesting. A school kid was badly injured by a rubber bullet fired at him by the CRS yesterday.

I'm with the strikers on this one. Sure, the pension system needs reforming, but not steam-rollered over the public who pay for it by a nasty, ideological maniac..... B)

Edited by Agentimmo

HOLA447

Not quite. Most French people accept the 60 to 62 update. But the Govt also want to change the age that you can retire on full pension from 65 to 67. For all social groups.

If you don't work until 67, you will receive up to 30% less than the full pension, in spite of paying in for 95% of the time (eg. if you want to retire at 65, like now).

The young have now started protesting. A school kid was badly injured by a rubber bullet fired at him by the CRS yesterday.

I'm with the strikers on this one. Sure, the pension system needs reforming, but not steam-rollered over the public who pay for it by a nasty, ideological maniac..... B)

sacre bleu

HOLA448

yeah, break em in slowly....shame bankruptcy doesnt happen like that.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

There will be no state pension in 50 years. The state pension will become unsustainable. Any honest politician would start to phase it out now over the next 50 years. The numbers don't add up at all.

UK Figures

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/downchart_ukgs.php?year=1990_2011&state=UK&view=1&expand=&units=b&fy=2010&chart=02-total&bar=1&stack=1&size=m&color=c&title=

With life expectancy increasing / more pensioners for the working population to support. The whole scheme will become unaffordable. Most developed economies will have the same problem.

Any policy to deal with the problem will be so unpopular we won't hear about it until the problem is much worse.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Not the message coming across on the Beeb - oh what a surprise :rolleyes:

HOLA4418

There will be no state pension in 50 years. The state pension will become unsustainable. Any honest politician would start to phase it out now over the next 50 years. The numbers don't add up at all.

UK Figures

http://www.ukpublics...&color=c&title=

With life expectancy increasing / more pensioners for the working population to support. The whole scheme will become unaffordable. Most developed economies will have the same problem.

Any policy to deal with the problem will be so unpopular we won't hear about it until the problem is much worse.

The state pension would have worked, but likeanything else its badly managed, and scripted to fail by a few. If it does disappear then why pay tax, and i would like a refund on my pass taxes.

HOLA4419

The problem with you idea is very simple.

Try convincing those age 18 to pay tax to fund state pensions when they know they wont get one themselves.

Yes it worked in the UK because few people know about it, but in france... no chance.

Essentially it would mean openly saying young people should pay more tax so older people car retire earlier than they.

HOLA4420

UK Figures

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/downchart_ukgs.php?year=1990_2011&state=UK&view=1&expand=&units=b&fy=2010&chart=02-total&bar=1&stack=1&size=m&color=c&title=

And all the time the UK workers flock to reduce their pension entitlement the top x% cream off more and more of the wealth. At least the French are putting up a fight.

HOLA4421

The problem with you idea is very simple.

Try convincing those age 18 to pay tax to fund state pensions when they know they wont get one themselves.

Yes it worked in the UK because few people know about it, but in france... no chance.

Essentially it would mean openly saying young people should pay more tax so older people car retire earlier than they.

By my calculation pensions take up about 24% ( 117bn 490bn ) of the entire UK tax income already . Up from about 17% (42bn out of 250bn) in 1995.

If you look at the stats for population ageing:

(http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=949 )

The problem is going to get exponentially worse over the next half century. You can see that the % of people over 65 is increasing much faster than the working and main taxpaying population.

What % of tax revenue will pensions reach before this ponzi scheme collapses. There will not be enough tax revenue for us to have a state pension.

Should we not deal with the problem rather than ignore it?

HOLA4422

By my calculation pensions take up about 24% ( 117bn 490bn ) of the entire UK tax income already . Up from about 17% (42bn out of 250bn) in 1995.

If you look at the stats for population ageing:

(http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=949 )

The problem is going to get exponentially worse over the next half century. You can see that the % of people over 65 is increasing much faster than the working and main taxpaying population.

What % of tax revenue will pensions reach before this ponzi scheme collapses. There will not be enough tax revenue for us to have a state pension.

Should we not deal with the problem rather than ignore it?

Only if you believe pensions should be funded solely by contributions from people who work.

HOLA4423
Guest UK Debt Slave

meanwhile over here...."is the X factor still on at the weekend?"

Indeed

Or Anne Widdecombe on Celebrity Come Dancing

I feel like delivering a full sized guillotine to Westminster Square and just leaving it there on the grass outside the palace, just a reminder

HOLA4424

My parents live in France and we are visiting in a week. We've been told that we should fill up with petrol at Dover as the strikes have meant that petrol is being rationed to 25 Euro fill up per car at the pumps and that there is a danger that it may run out entirely (mind you where they live is 'La France profonde' so the middle of bloody nowhere!)

Edited by duckwomanloulou

HOLA4425

Indeed

Or Anne Widdecombe on Celebrity Come Dancing

I feel like delivering a full sized guillotine to Westminster Square and just leaving it there on the grass outside the palace, just a reminder

The funny thing is, I bet we'll only see mass protests on the streets when Gamu gets deported back to Zimbabwe....I'm hoping to be proved wrong :rolleyes:

EDIT: Actually, why not just announce the deportation on the same day the spend cuts are announced...they won't even notice! :lol:

Edited by theonlywayisdown