House Price Crash Forum

Chavy Clothes

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

I want to buy some new trousers but I am finding that whenever I go - M&S, Next, Debenhams, Fatface, etc - that all they seem to stock is row up on row of scruffy looking dirty looking denim jeans.

No wonder this country looks so rough and scruffy.

A few of the above sell chinos or casual trousers but, IMPO, the material is still Summer lightweight material and not suitable from the coming 6 months of winter. Most of them are in dirty grey, black or some other depressing colour.

M&S are flogging some cords for £15 which loks as if they will fall apart before you get them home. Next sell almost identical cords for £35 which, IMPO, look no better in quality.

Is this what the UK has come to - scruffy jean look!

I watched a BBC Presenter reporting from the US this week wearing a pair of such jeans and he looked, IMPO, as if he was about to go and do some DIY.

Am I out of touch, am I old? Anyone seen any decent casual trousers anywhere?

Rant over.

HOLA442

The trend is to make us look like peasants - hence 90% of our society is wearing American manual workers' trousers - denim jeans... As a consequence of that we're stuck in front of the stupid telly watching stupid TV programmes for peasants about gardening, cooking, house-cleaning, house renovating, farming, etc...

:o

HOLA443
HOLA444

I want to buy some new trousers but I am finding that whenever I go - M&S, Next, Debenhams, Fatface, etc - that all they seem to stock is row up on row of scruffy looking dirty looking denim jeans.

No wonder this country looks so rough and scruffy.

A few of the above sell chinos or casual trousers but, IMPO, the material is still Summer lightweight material and not suitable from the coming 6 months of winter. Most of them are in dirty grey, black or some other depressing colour.

M&S are flogging some cords for £15 which loks as if they will fall apart before you get them home. Next sell almost identical cords for £35 which, IMPO, look no better in quality.

Is this what the UK has come to - scruffy jean look!

I watched a BBC Presenter reporting from the US this week wearing a pair of such jeans and he looked, IMPO, as if he was about to go and do some DIY.

Am I out of touch, am I old? Anyone seen any decent casual trousers anywhere?

Rant over.

What you have described is not Chavy. Chavy clothes consist of:-

Baseball caps

Tracksuits

Large gold Elizabeth Duke jewelry

Hooded tops

Puffer jackets

etc.

Not everywhere has scruffy looking jeans. Buy yourself some standard Levi's jeans, which don't have the faded look and can be bought in boot cut or straight cut. A bit more plain looking, rather than stylish, but they'll do the job.

Chino's are usually worn by men that are 50+. You showing your age there MT? ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Jeans are functional and hard-wearing but i dont think they are very comfortable and they have always been fairly informal clothing IMO.

I reckon if you scout around the online shopping sites you should be able to find something more appropriate, albeit its a bit of a gamble as you cant try them on.

HOLA449

You could try getting some made to measure trousers from a back street tailor (some still exist in large towns) or an online far-east outfit like Ravis Tailors, who travel round the UK measuring and taking orders.

I usually find M&S Blue Harbour stuff to be ok.

I agree about the general scruffy nature of people these days, but that's never going to change now. Smart, stylish clothing in this country died out some time around the mid sixties and is no more likely to make a come back than the doublet and hose.

HOLA4410

Smart, stylish clothing in this country died out some time around the mid sixties and is no more likely to make a come back than the doublet and hose.

I reckon there might be a Mad Men resurgence coming - grey suits and pocket-squares, complete with a dapper trilby. People must be fed up of the spiky hair, jeans below their ****, Adidas, checkered shirt hanging out look by now - surely?

HOLA4411

I usually find M&S Blue Harbour stuff to be ok.

Yes, Blue Harbour used to be OK in terms of quality... the cut was often not that great but the quality was a selling point... nowadays, IMPO, the quality is rubbish but the price is still high...

Everything is grey as well - well, grey, brown or black. Next looks like their designers decided to make nearly everything grey with some stuff brown or black and, of course, jeans being blue.

HOLA4412

I reckon there might be a Mad Men resurgence coming - grey suits and pocket-squares, complete with a dapper trilby. People must be fed up of the spiky hair, jeans below their ****, Adidas, checkered shirt hanging out look by now - surely?

I have noticed that people in their teens/early twenties are looking a bit smarter lately. I suspect though it's just another passing fad though. In the days when all you could afford was one good suit or frock, you looked after it and made the best of it. You had to wear a classic look because your clothes had to last. Once throw-away consumerism spread to clothing, manufacturers had to promote the idea of constantly changing, 'individual' style. This tied in well with the boomer-generation rejection of tradition and conformity, leading to the weird and wonderful styles we see today....

HOLA4413

The trend is to make us look like peasants - hence 90% of our society is wearing American manual workers' trousers - denim jeans... As a consequence of that we're stuck in front of the stupid telly watching stupid TV programmes for peasants about gardening, cooking, house-cleaning, house renovating, farming, etc...

:o

I don't have a television, or trousers! :huh:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I have noticed that people in their teens/early twenties are looking a bit smarter lately. I suspect though it's just another passing fad though. In the days when all you could afford was one good suit or frock, you looked after it and made the best of it. You had to wear a classic look because your clothes had to last. Once throw-away consumerism spread to clothing, manufacturers had to promote the idea of constantly changing, 'individual' style. This tied in well with the boomer-generation rejection of tradition and conformity, leading to the weird and wonderful styles we see today....

I don't get why young blokes wear Cardigans...looks weird..

HOLA4416

Hidden inflation. It makes me so angry. Lower quality products are used to massage the inflation figures.

Remember the first DVD players? They cost £600 but were solid machines built like tanks. Now a DVD player may cost £40 but are built like yogurt pots. It's not like for like yet is recorded as a 'falling price'.

Likewise, most chainstore clothes are terribly made. I have some posh trousers bought new with tags from ebay for £20 (RRP around £100) and the quality of them is like M&S from 20 years ago. Meanwhile, M&S stuff gets more and more Primarky by the day. In real terms a pair of £20 trousers from M&S 20 years ago should probably cost around £100 or more today if quality levels were kept the same.

HOLA4417

You get a sodding Mod revival every three years or so. Topman caters to this fad.

HOLA4418

Gerald Celente predicts a return to elegance.

Yes, Blue Harbour used to be OK in terms of quality... the cut was often not that great but the quality was a selling point... nowadays, IMPO, the quality is rubbish but the price is still high...

Anyone care to recommend a source of decent quality men's clothing (for us middle-aged types).

I don't get why young blokes wear Cardigans...looks weird..

The Bart family album is full of pictures of me in cardigans. I wore them a lot up to about the age of 11.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I don't think any retail outlet advertises as a "chav's outfitters", although I will agree that I can't always find what I want! :huh:

I'm happy with jeans as long as they fit!

HOLA4421

I just buy Levis 501s from an Outlet Shop for jeans and try to ebay a quality brand for other types of trousers. I can't stand wearing a cheap facsimile of real clothes from the high street.

I too hate the way jeans can't just be jeans - skinny, low slung, ant-fit, boot cut, comfort fit. Just want 100% normal jeans.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

shirt hanging out look by now - surely?

I don't feel that comfortable any more leaving my shirt out but I am too young to have it tucked in so I wear other things just as much. Although I am getting too old for t-shirts and feel daft in anything with large writing on it.

HOLA4424

I had a "young fogey" friend who was always impeccably turned out in tweed jacket, crisp shirt and tie, cuff-links, shiny brogues the whole lot. He even had a beautiful quilted smoking jacket for lazing about the house.

Are you sure he's not batting for the other team? ;)

It sounds like a mate of mine who is an outrageous homosexual! :lol:

HOLA4425

If you want quality on a budget then charity shops are definitely the way to go. I haven't bought any new clothes for a couple of years now, why pay £5 for a Primark shirt that feels like its made of cardboard, when you can get a Ralph Lauren one from a charity shop for less money?

Archived