House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Linda Norgrove Had Escaped When Us Troops Killed Her

British aid worker had ESCAPED Taliban captors and was in foetal position when elite troops detonated grenade

Soldier faces disciplinary action after failing to reveal grenade was used

Troops did not spot hostage even though they had night-vision goggles

U.S. commanders watched the horror unfold on big screens at mission HQ

Miss Norgrove's body arrives back in Britain on military plane

A British aid worker who died during a botched raid on the compound where she was being held hostage had escaped her captors and was hiding when a U.S. grenade killed her.

Linda Norgrove was cowering in a foetal position when troops detonated the deadly grenade.

Now an elite U.S. commando is facing disciplinary action over the death of the 36-year-old after it emerged he failed to tell his commanding officers he had used a grenade.

American officials initially claimed Miss Norgrove had been killed when one of her Taliban captors detonated a suicide vest.

But after reviewing footage captured on the Navy Seals' helmet cameras the U.S. was forced to apologise for the fatal blunder.

Now sources in Kabal and London have revealed new details about the raid which was ordered after intelligence suggested Miss Norgrove was about to be passed up the terrorist chain.

The soldier who is believed to have killed Miss Norgrove was part of the crack Seal Team Six, which abseiled into the target compound in the early hours of Saturday.

Six insurgents holding Miss Norgrove were killed in the fierce gun battle that followed.

But it is now claimed the Seals did not see one of the Taliban drag the aid worker out of a hut or Miss Norgrove break free, even though they were wearing night-vision goggles.

Reviewing video images of the raid, their commander saw one soldier hurl the grenade into the compound four seconds before a blast killed Miss Norgrove.

The troops involved in the assault - in the remote, mountainous Korengal Valley - were asked if any of them had used a fragmentation grenade and one confessed.

A family friend of Miss Norgrove’s parents John, 60, and Lorna, 62, said: ‘It seems they almost rescued Linda and it makes it even more painful that it went so tragically wrong at the point when they were on the verge of freeing her.’

Miss Norgrove's body was flown back to Britain today.

A spokeswoman for RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire said the remains of the 36-year-old was brought to the base by military plane.

However it is likely to be several more days before they will be released to her family because of post mortem tests.

The Scottish Government has said that under current legislation any inquest into her death will be held in England. Scotland has no powers to hold a Fatal Accident Inquiry into a death abroad.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1320363/Soldier-accidentally-killed-British-hostage-Linda-Norgrove-punished.html#ixzz12NN8iTsV

unfortunately real life is not like the movies where the good guys prevail and the hostages are always rescued. I cannot imagine how the team member who used the grenade must feel or how her family also feel knowing she was so close to freedom when she died. I seem to remember that there was a guy in iraq killed in similar circumstances when a rescue by british forces went wrong.

unfortunately real life is not like the movies where the good guys prevail and the hostages are always rescued. I cannot imagine how the team member who used the grenade must feel or how her family also feel knowing she was so close to freedom when she died. I seem to remember that there was a guy in iraq killed in similar circumstances when a rescue by british forces went wrong.

Quite.

Armchair critics should try to understand that RL is not a movie or a video game. My sympathies go out to all concerned, including the soldier concerned, who, let's not forget, was risking his own life to try to rescue her.

Quite.

Armchair critics should try to understand that RL is not a movie or a video game. My sympathies go out to all concerned, including the soldier concerned, who, let's not forget, was risking his own life to try to rescue her.

I take your point but the Guardian reveals there were negotiations for her release going on:

A delegation of Afghan elders tasked with negotiating the freedom of British hostage Linda Norgrove was close to the mountain hut where she was being held when US special forces launched the rescue mission that resulted in her death, Afghan officials said yesterday.

"We had already arrived in the area but then the fighting started and it was hopeless, so we turned back," said Haji Ghulam Ehsan Adil, head of the Kunar provincial council, who led a group of 20 tribal elders sent by the Kunar governor to free the 36-year-old Scottish development worker. There had been "a complete lack of co-ordination" between the Afghan group's efforts and those of Nato, he added.

The claims that negotiators were so close to Norgrove adds to the recriminations caused by the decision to send in a rescue team of heavily armed US special forces last Friday morning. British and American officials initially said Norgrove had been killed by a Taliban suicide bomber, but later conceded it was likely she had been killed by a grenade thrown by a US soldier.

At their home on the Isle of Lewis, Norgrove's parents urged the US and UK authorities to release full details of the operation that led to her death. Alasdair Allan, the MSP for the Western Isles, wrote to both the foreign secretary, William Hague, and the US embassy in London today, asking for a full explanation of the circumstances surrounding the case after discussions with the family.

"The family deserve the maximum amount of information," he said. "The fact that we've had contradictory stories over the last few days doesn't help. I have today written to the US embassy and the UK government – the foreign secretary – asking them to make sure the family is given accurate information."

Meanwhile, a senior western official in Kabul said it was difficult to see why the US and UK governments did not give negotiation a greater chance. "We've had over seventy abductions of NGO people this year, with just three or four killed. That's a 5% chance of being killed," he said.

Paul Refsdal, a Norwegian journalist who was kidnapped for six days in the same part of Kunar last November, criticised the rescue bid: "When I was in captivity I called my embassy and I was very clear that I didn't want any rescue attempt," he said. "I understand that every politician wants to take credit for the raid on Entebbe," he added, referring to the successful 1976 Israeli commando raid on a hijacked airliner in Uganda. "But this was stupid, really."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/12/linda-norgrove-rescue-afghan-negotiation

I take your point but the Guardian reveals there were negotiations for her release going on:

http://www.guardian....han-negotiation

Yes but then if this was a mistake - it is down the the US and UK Politicians/commenders who agreed it. Laying blame at the soldier who detonated the actual grenade is perhaps trying to defelct from the big boys ******ing up ? Not as if it doesn't happen everywhere else on this planet. (Not that the soldier should of course shoulder some responsibility if they did indeed ****** up)

I find this bit below amusing. Did his captors just top up their pay as you go then hand him their mobile phone or something ?! :lol:

Paul Refsdal, a Norwegian journalist who was kidnapped for six days in the same part of Kunar last November, criticised the rescue bid: "When I was in captivity I called my embassy and I was very clear that I didn't want any rescue attempt," he said

Quite.

Indeed, although the use of a wide-area weapon in a hostage situation is questionable.

From a military view-point, it's also one less team to worry about, whether they were true islamist insurgents or simply carrying on the ancient Afghani business of kidnap....

I find this bit below amusing. Did his captors just top up their pay as you go then hand him their mobile phone or something ?! :lol:

Didn't some Japanese guy escape recently because he posted his location online after offering to show his kidnappers how to use the Internet?

Last year we were watching a TV series about people who'd been kidnapped abroad, and from what I remember more of them were killed while being 'rescued' than were killed by their kidnappers. Obviously the odds are probably worse in Afghanistan since they're more likely to kill you than ransom you.

If our Government are using special forces to rescue civilian hostages, they should include the family of that civilian in the decision as to what method of rescue to undertake. And who to use.

If the Government are using SF to rescue one of our soldiers, then, they should not have to include the family of that soldier in the decision.

If it was a member of my family, and I was asked, I would have insisted that the UK use UK special Forces.

The Foreign Office will be under some pressure to complain to the Americans, as the Yanks want to operate in an International Arena, yet not be held accountable.

So nothing will happen to this guy. The girl will be considered collateral damage. But its not just another blue on blue. She was a civilian.

This lack of accountability, is what Governments want isnt it?

[if the police in this country shoot and kill a member of the public, who subsequently turns out to be innocent, the shooter will not be tried for manslaughter or murder.]

Hmmm.

While I agree that real-life isn't at all like the movies, I will say this:

I've seen the Navy Seals in action and it made my blood run cold; I can't believe that a so-called 'special forces' unit from the military of an (allegedly) First World nation would use such primitive and downright reckless tactics. They are completely unsuited to an operation of this type and I'm not surprised it ended the way it did..

Special Forces? More like 'special needs'.

(For further examples of American SF tomfoolery, see almost the entirety of Delta Force's operational history)

Special Forces? More like 'special needs'.

(For further examples of American SF tomfoolery, see almost the entirety of Delta Force's operational history)

It was Delta Force that killed all the Branch Davidians at Waco back in 1993.