House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry Monk

Chile Miners: Bbc World News Editor Defends Overspend

The BBC's world news editor, Jon Williams, has moved to defend the corporation from criticism over its budget blowout in covering the Chilean miners rescue arguing the "audience valued the investment".

Newsgathering costs for reporting the dramatic San José rescue will exceed £100,000, Williams warned in an internal memo. "The financial situation is serious," he said in the original memo to staff which circulated last week.

Williams pointed to near-record viewing figures for the BBC News channel and messages of support from viewers, saying: "the audience values the investment we made".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/14/chile-miners-bbc-overspend

I'm interested in others' views on this. Personally, this is the type of news story that has me gripped, and yesterday's TV news will be something I will remember forever. £100,000 doesn't seem a great deal of money in comparison to say, Jonathan Ross's salary. Perhaps it's too much money to spend on a story about the Working Classes, I don't know.

What say?

the "audience valued the investment".

If I'm the audience then no it didn't.

I was up exceedingly late the other night with the TV running in silent mode. Every so often I would look at the screen to see a couple of BBC journalists wondering what to do with themselves. It went on I think nearly all night! Totally overblown and ridiculous.

The BBC's world news editor, Jon Williams, has moved to defend the corporation from criticism over its budget blowout in covering the Chilean miners rescue arguing the "audience valued the investment".

Newsgathering costs for reporting the dramatic San José rescue will exceed £100,000, Williams warned in an internal memo. "The financial situation is serious," he said in the original memo to staff which circulated last week.

Williams pointed to near-record viewing figures for the BBC News channel and messages of support from viewers, saying: "the audience values the investment we made".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/14/chile-miners-bbc-overspend

I'm interested in others' views on this. Personally, this is the type of news story that has me gripped, and yesterday's TV news will be something I will remember forever. £100,000 doesn't seem a great deal of money in comparison to say, Jonathan Ross's salary. Perhaps it's too much money to spend on a story about the Working Classes, I don't know.

What say?

...I watched on Sky ....not Pravda.....a true analysis would be to compare Pravda's costs with Sky's...... :rolleyes:

IMO before they had a food/water/entertainment supply tunnelled to them I was very interested in the story.

Once they were comfortable, it was just a case of "when" rather than "if" they would be rescued and it wasn't particulary sensational thereafter.

The BBC has covered the story at Sky News levels - 24/7 speculation with nothing to report.

I'm glad the miners are out, but it shouldn't have had the coverage it did.

But we live in a country where the nation is gripped by who gets voted off X-Factor so perhaps I'm in the minority.

Every so often I would look at the screen to see a couple of BBC journalists wondering what to do with themselves. It went on I think nearly all night! Totally overblown and ridiculous.

...must have been skyving on the job....while on Sky they were busy presenting a 1st class News Event .... :rolleyes:

But we live in a country where the nation is gripped by who gets voted off X-Factor so perhaps I'm in the minority.

We live in a country where TV is so monumentally awful that a six-part series about Eddie Stobart lorries is Channel 5's surprise hit of the year!

If I was one of those miners, I would never go down that pit again. I would milk my misfortune in a way that would put a Scouser to shame.

SKY coverage was better for no additional cost on freeview.

Matt Frei was ok. That other BBC bloke who insisted on describing every intimate family detail whilst showing off his Spanish gave every impression of having stopped over in Columbia on the way down. Irritating pillock. They could easily have stayed at home and just paraphrased the SKY output from London. They were all using the same Chilean TV feeds so why do they need to be 'there'?

Your theory seems to be its OK to waste money on something you like but not on something you dont like.

Both items youve highlighted could have been bought for at least 1/4 of the price, without losing any of the detail thats the point.

Your theory seems to be its OK to waste money on something you like but not on something you dont like.

Both items youve highlighted could have been bought for at least 1/4 of the price, without losing any of the detail thats the point.

...I like my reporters at the scene ....as long as it's done watching the bottom line and gives quality delivery....do you think the skyvers at the BBC care about the bottom line with taxpayers money....while Sky excel on delivery in a business environment .....Pravda should be investigated.... :rolleyes:

Usually it's something like "our Africa correspondent" based halfway across the continent and has no more idea of what is going on than someone based ni London hearing the same stuff.

...not the same ...bit like these football matches where the commentators are in the studio seven hundred or so miles from the game ....just doesn't wash..... :rolleyes:

Usually it's something like "our Africa correspondent" based halfway across the continent and has no more idea of what is going on than someone based ni London hearing the same stuff.

Well I've learned that their are two distinct genres of Chilean Woman. If they are not hot, they are really not hot.

Money well spent.

I don't care about the miners at all. Totally uninterested in it. The BBC should not be allowed to waste money in this way.

All that was required was a single page report/or 1 minute video saying that they had been rescued. We don't F****G care about the 'human interest' part.

I don't care about the miners at all. Totally uninterested in it. The BBC should not be allowed to waste money in this way.

All that was required was a single page report/or 1 minute video saying that they had been rescued. We don't F****G care about the 'human interest' part.

...cold man.... :rolleyes:

Not really. The story is just completely irrelevant. Do you really think it would have got this much air-time if it had been in China? Or russia?

It's a joke. People need to wake up to what is really going on - the destruction of the country and western financial systems.

The BBC could have at least hired Davina McCall to interview them and repeat their most embarrassing moments.

I was also disappointed by the lack of voting. Don't Chileans appreciate the importance of viewer participation?

I was fascinated by it all (history of mining) and I switched from CBC to BBC because BBC provided translation. To be honest I thought the only pictures worth watching were the Chilean ones which were wildly fantastic and all the BBC generated stuff was based on the families, the "human story". They would have improved their coverage 100% with some technical input which could have come from UK and didn't need to be on-site. Their whole approach was 'touchy-feely' very liberal guff born mostly out of ignorance of anything beyond a nail and a hammer. Considering the existence of a mining industry in England that was a huge hole in the coverage.

It was indeed a great story but deserved better coverage for the money.

Not really. The story is just completely irrelevant. Do you really think it would have got this much air-time if it had been in China? Or russia?

It's a joke. People need to wake up to what is really going on - the destruction of the country and western financial systems.

...in China and Russia there would have been no transparency with lots of hush hush.....from Chile the human tale and the excellent project mananagent skills where they were not too proud to shout for help and ended up with the right expertise from around the world was quality in motion ....this was good television with lots of human emotion..... :rolleyes:

...in China and Russia there would have been no transparency with lots of hush hush.....from Chile the human tale and the excellent project mananagent skills where they were not too proud to shout for help and ended up with the right expertise from around the world was quality in motion ....this was good television with lots of human emotion..... :rolleyes:

Completely agree, a rescue plan quickly and efficiently put into place... I understand they were down there for 17 days before anyone made contact with them... more interesting to me than another story about David Beckham's underpants anyway.

Completely agree, a rescue plan quickly and efficiently put into place... I understand they were down there for 17 days before anyone made contact with them... more interesting to me than another story about David Beckham's underpants anyway.

Yawn.

What human tale? It was just a bunch of people trapped in the dark.

...seventeen days missing without contact and then rescued after several months was not 'just a bunch of people trapped in the dark'....it's good to be aware of such challenges against adversity in the event if and when the time comes for you to face similar you may learn from their experience .... :rolleyes:

It's a lot of money, but I believe they're also making a few other programs from all the footage, so possibly worth it in the long run, but they sent 23 people along, I think Sky only sent 6 or 8!

Regarding the story, I was hooked and it makes a change to have a real good news story in the news, most stuff is so depressing!