House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Its Begun: 5,557 Fireman To Be Let Go

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-14/london-firefighters-vote-in-favor-of-strike-action-over-plans-for-job-cuts.html

London Firefighters Vote in Favor of Strike Action Over Plans for Job Cuts

By Chris "Christopher" Spillane - Oct 14, 2010 4:55 PM GMT
They voted by 3,482 to 943 to take industrial action on as yet undisclosed dates, according to a Fire Brigades Union statement today. The turnout for the vote was 79 percent.
“This is a huge vote for strike action,” Matt Wrack, FBU general secretary, said in the statement. “This vote demonstrates that London firefighters will fight these mass sackings every step of the way.”
The strike will be abandoned if Ron Dobson, London’s Fire Brigade Commissioner, withdraws a letter which began the legal process of cutting some of the 5,557 uniformed and 41 non- operational firefighters, the FBU said in the statement.

A bit like NIMBYISM imo. We all know cuts are needed but not my job you don't.

We all know cuts are needed but not my job you don't.

Apparently cuts are not what's needed, more borrowing and spending will save us from the problem of excessive debt.

To be fair, if you make a list of jobs we DO need, I think firefighter comes near the top.

I guess I'm not doing my bit for the country....you couldn't take my job away from me, nor make me spend my savings! Not unless theres a fire sale on property!! haha

The strike will be abandoned if Ron Dobson, London’s Fire Brigade Commissioner, withdraws a letter which began the legal process of cutting some of the 5,557 uniformed and 41 non- operational firefighters, the FBU said in the statement.

Not 5 557 jobs to go - only "some".

How many is some?

I heard on Sky news that the quango cuts will leave "tens of thousands" facing the sack.

But, to quote Mega 'WHEN?'

Where is he anyway, he loves these sort of job cut threads...

Edited by Pent Up

It will give all those soldiers no longer in Iraq something to do.

They're already in Afghanistan, also some bright spark sold all the green goddesses to Kenya.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-14/london-firefighters-vote-in-favor-of-strike-action-over-plans-for-job-cuts.html

London Firefighters Vote in Favor of Strike Action Over Plans for Job Cuts

By Chris "Christopher" Spillane - Oct 14, 2010 4:55 PM GMT
They voted by 3,482 to 943 to take industrial action on as yet undisclosed dates, according to a Fire Brigades Union statement today. The turnout for the vote was 79 percent.
“This is a huge vote for strike action,” Matt Wrack, FBU general secretary, said in the statement. “This vote demonstrates that London firefighters will fight these mass sackings every step of the way.”

A bit like NIMBYISM imo. We all know cuts are needed but not my job you don't.

3482 + 943 = 4425 79% turnout = 5601 total

5557 jobs cut

44 firemen for the whole country. That's a cut!

Edit aah i just got it.

Edited by Stickleback

Apparently the plan is to get the company that leases the fire engines to the brigade to crew them with its own staff or security contractors, who will be given three weeks' training.

So if there is a fire, you may find yourself being rescued - by being thrown through the window by a bouncer.

Not 5 557 jobs to go - only "some".

Well spotted! I was thinking 5557 seemed like a lot. Striking over 40 odd seems a bit drastic.

I agree that firefightrers should be among the last jobs to be cut (along with NHS staff that actually practise the healing arts and teachers who actually teach students in real classrooms).

What was the thread title before?

5,557 firemen fired?

They'll be fired if they don't accept a new shift pattern, according to the FBU.

Reuters http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE69D3BN20101014

London firefighters have voted to walk out in a dispute over changes to shift patterns but will not go ahead with the strike if dismissal letters to staff are withdrawn, the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) said on Thursday.

The Fire Brigade, which has about 5,500 firefighters in London, wants to impose equal 12-hour day and night shifts, to replace the current system of two nine-hour day shifts and two 15 hour night shifts per week.

The FBU said management had issued letters of dismissal to staff who do not accept proposed changes in shift working and said it would not announce strike dates until Friday to allow the Fire Brigade the chance to withdraw these letters.

Not a bit like NIMBYism.

Nimby is a misnomer anyway. If you are the freeholder of your backyard, you can decidewhat goes on there.

Nimbies decide what goes on in next door's backyard.

These men and women have a job which they want to keep. If the decision to sack them is unjustified, they have a reasonable complaint and a right to protect their livelihood.

I hope they succeed. The deficit has to be cut. The argument of who bears the pain and on what timescale has not been properly put. But I do know that bankers get bonuses and I do know that the banks owe us all a lot of money.

I think we should be digging for cash in the bank's backyard.

Presumably firefighters, like everybody else, get used to working their usual hours of work and structure their other needs around those hours. I wonder why their lives need to be disrupted since it would not seem to reduce the wages bill.

No need to cut the jobs, just do what they did to me and replace them with eastern Europeans. ;)

or like me get them to teach some Indians before going......and since anyone in their 50s is a rich evil boomer....we don't need jobs....so it's ok

A 15 hr shift ?

if they are busy then at the end of that 15 hrs

they will be fukked

then they get approx 7 hrs sleep after commuting home

and have to do another 15 hrs

It can get to a point where it becomes dangerous

12 hr shifts are long enough

there is also the fact they are working 2 long nights every 8 days

which is disruptive to their sleep system

If the strike is about jobcuts then I support them

if its about this change to shift patterns then I dont

I normally support the Fire Fighters but in this case they are being awkward because the current shift suits them. Two 15 hour nights shifts is ridiculous and the reason they like that is because they often sleep much of the night. It will probably cut down on the overtime bill if they were to work 12 hour day shifts and I think that is fair and reasonable in today's world. They are not playing fair in this instance.

Edited by MoonLady

if its spending cuts needed, and sacking is just too hard..

how about:

cut all Public Sector Salaries by 50% over 25K. Cameron took 5%...its hardly a good example, but its a start.