House Price Crash Forum

Moronic Daily Mail Columnist Is Against Lower Housing Costs

HOLA441

Moronic Daily Mail columnist is against lower housing costs. He says:

"I resent this foolish housing minister for saying that my bricks and mortar aren't an investment"

And he meant it! :blink:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1320302/I-resent-tory-housing-minister-Grant-Shapps-saying-house-isnt-investment.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz12Lw009rz

Readers can add comments under his column. :D

Edited by Tired of Waiting

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

An investment has to at least match inflation, and more ideally exceed it. Some what Mr. Glover wants is for houses to become ever more expensive relative to wages. Just another V.I moron from the Daily Fail.

And again I am left with the exact same question (like when Brown was in power) : is this guy a b@stard, a moron, or insane?!?!?!

:unsure:

It is always the same question.

Sorry I forgot: "or some combination of the 3 above".

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

....do you think it was tongue in cheek just for the sake of being obtuse to get hits on his comments ....or is he just really simple and thick......?..... :rolleyes:

Yes, I thought about that too. I heard that journalists want (need?) "hits" on their articles. Could be. I don't know.

But doesn't it "get old"? I mean, don''t they lose credibility?

Weird.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There are some hilarious comments on there:

I totally agree! What happened to the ethic where hard work and sacrifice would be rewarded and those who couldn't be bothered would stop getting something for nothing? I was quite looking forward to a time where perhaps my stupidly huge mortgage would turn out to have been a good, worthwhile thing to have done because at the moment I wonder daily why the hell I am paying such ridiculous sums for my home when I could probably go and rent one just the same for half the price - the answer had always been that it would be worth it one day so keep struggling on. Is this no longer going to be the case? Are the people paying half the amount in rent now and managing to save as a consequence going to be better off than me in retirement? This deliberate attempt to lower house prices will just open up the world of renting as in other countries where owning isn't the be all and end all - then the only people to benefit will be rich landlords and property magnates.

- Sharron, Yorkshire, 14/10/2010 13:42

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Thanks. :D

However, in the case of Gordon Brown, I think that out of the 3 possibilities above, he was only innocent of being a moron.

Edit: I meant in post #7: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=152833&view=findpost&p=2747772

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Notice his rationale is his expenditure not any actual contribution of value to anyone. He complains about people getting something for nothing, but in terms of value this is exactly what he is demanding. He expects the government to screw the real, productive economy and screw the producers so he can make a profit doing something that is counter-productive.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The sound of pennies dropping. Thousands of them, daily. :)

Yes, I have added a comment, but I've not seen it posted yet.

"High UK house prices and therefore high rents, increase the cost of living and thereby the cost of production. This makes UK manufactured goods uncompetitive. If we are going to get out of this financial mess we need to compete with the rest of the world. Buying tools and machinery to make stuff is an investment, sitting on your fat **** waiting for your house to increase in value is not!"

HOLA4421

....thought this was killer logic in the same link..... :rolleyes:

A practical observation on the risks of stupidity was made by the German General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord in Truppenführung, 1933: "I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!"

...was that Gordo at the end.....?

Edited by South Lorne

HOLA4422

Yes, I have added a comment, but I've not seen it posted yet.

"High UK house prices and therefore high rents, increase the cost of living and thereby the cost of production. This makes UK manufactured goods uncompetitive. If we are going to get out of this financial mess we need to compete with the rest of the world. Buying tools and machinery to make stuff is an investment, sitting on your fat **** waiting for your house to increase in value is not!"

:lol:

Excellent!

HOLA4423

I particularly liked this comment:

Congratulations Mr. Glover and thank god you were lucky enough to buy a house when you could. Heaven forbid the price of your property falls a little bit; I mean it's only gone up exponentially over the last ten years, so why stop now? Why not keep pushing for even higher prices? That should put the final nail in the coffin for the common riff raff and stop them from ever getting a foot on the ladder. Still, at least when my generation and those behind me are all sleeping in cardboard boxes, rest assured we will sleep tight in the knowledge that you're alright Jack. Perhaps you can throw us a scrap of food from your ivory tower!!!

- Lee, Portsmouth, England, 14/10/2010 14:56

Looking at the comments below the article, it appears that HPC.co.uk has been sending them a lot of traffic today, or Grant Shapps is a lot smarter than the average Daily Mail columnist. And what's up with that photo that they use of Stephen Glover, the author of the column -- he looks like a child rapist?

HOLA4424

I particularly liked this comment:

Congratulations Mr. Glover and thank god you were lucky enough to buy a house when you could. Heaven forbid the price of your property falls a little bit; I mean it's only gone up exponentially over the last ten years, so why stop now? Why not keep pushing for even higher prices? That should put the final nail in the coffin for the common riff raff and stop them from ever getting a foot on the ladder. Still, at least when my generation and those behind me are all sleeping in cardboard boxes, rest assured we will sleep tight in the knowledge that you're alright Jack. Perhaps you can throw us a scrap of food from your ivory tower!!!

- Lee, Portsmouth, England, 14/10/2010 14:56

Looking at the comments below the article, it appears that HPC.co.uk has been sending them a lot of traffic today, or Grant Shapps is a lot smarter than the average Daily Mail columnist. And what's up with that photo that they use of Stephen Glover, the author of the column -- he looks like a child rapist?

Yes, and many good readers comments there. And well voted too.

HOLA4425