House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustYield

Top Tip For Banana Lovers Everywhere

Today I discovered something that I have to share with you immediately. As I was preparing my afternoon Earl Gray (don't ask!), I got out the pre-cut lemon slices from the fridge and put a slice in the brewing tea (only for a few seconds, I promise you). Then I saw a banana resting in the location where we normally keep bananas, took it, peeled it and had a bite and... this is the important part - some lemon on my fingers combined with the consumption of the banana creating an exquisite combination of flavours! It's hard to describe but imagine what a banana tastes like with a bit of lemon on it, and you've got it!

I then undunked the lemon slice from the Earl Gray and squeezed it over the rest of the unpeeled banana. It was delightful - tangy, sweet and chewy. (The Earl Gray had nothing to do with it, other than sipping it afterwards was a great way to reflect on what had just occurred.)

Banana + lemon = better banana!

As you were.

Today I discovered something that I have to share with you immediately. As I was preparing my afternoon Earl Gray (don't ask!), I got out the pre-cut lemon slices from the fridge and put a slice in the brewing tea (only for a few seconds, I promise you). Then I saw a banana resting in the location where we normally keep bananas, took it, peeled it and had a bite and... this is the important part - some lemon on my fingers combined with the consumption of the banana creating an exquisite combination of flavours! It's hard to describe but imagine what a banana tastes like with a bit of lemon on it, and you've got it!

I then undunked the lemon slice from the Earl Gray and squeezed it over the rest of the unpeeled banana. It was delightful - tangy, sweet and chewy. (The Earl Gray had nothing to do with it, other than sipping it afterwards was a great way to reflect on what had just occurred.)

As you were.

Are you posh?

I then undunked the lemon slice... and squeezed it over the rest of the unpeeled banana.

Sounds all very good and will try, but I'm not quite sure you meant to write the bold bit. Or are you saying you actually eat the skin?

I'll give it a go.

Could I also recommend, before peeling the banana to write on it with a ball point pen. Write anything.. It's very satisfying.

Are you posh?

Oh, Good Lord no!

Sounds all very good and will try, but I'm not quite sure you meant to write the bold bit. Or are you saying you actually eat the skin?

Good catch! Yes, I meant peeled banana. I don't even eat the stringy strandy bits, let alone the skin.

I'll correct the OP right away.

Although I've never tried it, I'm lead to understand that the very best ice cream is made by freezing bananas, and then putting them into a food processor to blitz till smooth, serving it straight away (no other ingredients). I imagine that a secret ingredient of a squeeze of lemon would make it a sublime experience.

This sounds like the peanut butter and chocolate moment.

I am going to nick your idea and make squillions. Did I say that out loud? :unsure:

Salted roast peanuts and banana is good.

Somebody should try this recipe, just to see if I'm right - please report back:

Peanut Butter Banana Crunch French Toast

http://www.grouprecipes.com/12261/peanut-butter-banana-crunch-french-toast.html

ps. Earl Grey's tea?

Here's a banana tip for you. It turns out we're taught to open them the wrong way - instead of trying to peel it at the stalk end, just pinch and twist the 'bottom'. It's how monkeys do it and is much, much easier.

Although I've never tried it, I'm lead to understand that the very best ice cream is made by freezing bananas, and then putting them into a food processor to blitz till smooth, serving it straight away (no other ingredients). I imagine that a secret ingredient of a squeeze of lemon would make it a sublime experience.

It is amazing stuff.. Dash of milk, frozen banana ... Blitz mmmmmm

As you were.

And to think I once respected your opinions :D

My father swears by cold milky tea mixed with pineapple juice. I would just swear at it.

Well now, if we're linking recipes for things, this one's for TMT http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chocolate-peanut-butter-pie

Just use chocolate bourbon biscuits (including the cream layer) and butter for the base, and skip out on all the salt - or just put a pinch in the PB mix if you think it needs it. I'm probably a tad on the generous side with my quantity of peanut butter and a tiny bit slim on the volume of cream to make up for it.

Oh how cruel life is. I did the same trick today and yes, while the banana with lemon was very agreeable, I'm saddened to report it didn't match the euphoric high I hit yesterday. :(

Do you have any tips on what to do with apples. I find them a bit boring - but they are good for you.

Do you have any tips on what to do with apples. I find them a bit boring - but they are good for you.

Salt! Add a little salt. Get your manservant to cut them into nice crescents. Nobody should approach an apple via its skin. Use a fork! For goodness sake, do I have to hold your hand here? :blink:

The best thing I have ever tasted with banana....you should try it, is:

A warm croissant, filled with sliced banana and some orange marmalade, great for breakfast...delicious. ;)

Lots you can do, try an easy Tarte aux Pommes:

Line a tart tin with some shortcrust pastry, you can buy it ready rolled if time is of the essence.

Peel and thinly slice about 2lbs of apples, cox is good, adding about 4oz of sugar in between the layers of apple arranged on top of the pastry, bake in moderate oven for about 30 mins until slightly browned.

Meanwhile make a little syrup from the apple peel, put in a small saucepan with a little sugar and either lemon peel, brandy, calvados or sweet cider slowly simmer for a few minutes...pour the syrup over the tart to form a glaze when the cooked tart has cooled. ;)

A warm croissant, filled with sliced banana and some orange marmalade, great for breakfast...delicious. ;)

That is quite simply inspired!

Frank Cooper would be so proud, bless him (as Sarah Cooper meekly basks in his orange glow - but we know Sarah, we know...).

Singapore doesn't do croissants :( Oh for a French croissant and a nice cafe au lait.

Salt! Add a little salt. Get your manservant to cut them into nice crescents. Nobody should approach an apple via its skin. Use a fork! For goodness sake, do I have to hold your hand here? :blink:

..and what will I do with the Durian?

I tried the different way of opening. Did work a treat. However you do get that little brown looking bit sticking right up at you. I bit it off and spat it out. I assume Apes are perhaps not as choosy as us lot - and this is why we choose to open at the slightly more difficult end ?